Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Spencer's Slayvo conversion/suggestions and upgrades

I basically created this thread to get either peoples help on a problem I have and or give and get suggestions on stuff. Back in August I purchased a Slayer Pro. As many know already, I converted it into a Revo by changing the arms, tires, push rods and tie rods. Once I get the truck back together I will post pics of it. And discuss some of the mods I have done.

Right now my problem is that my truck seems to be stuck in second gear. Remember I don't have the opti drive as its only a slayer pro tranny however it shouldn't be a whole lot different. Lets go back about 2 weeks, I was out bashing when I noticed I didn't have any rear brake(current mod cd with 500k and rear brake) I kept tightening the adjustment screw but never noticed a difference. After the session I pulled the tranny only to notice I had melted the brake disks as well as the part that holds it to the centre axle and melted old steel pad to the tranny casing

I decided to take out the cd and put back the stock in, yesterday it was the first time bashing since the change and the truck no longer has the "get up and go" that it use to. It dosent wheelie(in which it never did but have 14cb and 40 spur right now) When I hold it in the air and rev it you used to be able to hear and feel the shift, now their is nothing. Spuratically it would shift back to first and absolutely scream like it should but most of the time would be pretty slow. I loosened the 2 speed adjustment screw 1hr and no difference

Check out the pics I think it looks okay?

Slayer Pro turned Revo

RC Racer
    Anyone have any ideas on why stuck in second?
    Slayer Pro turned Revo

Based upon the photos, the pawl is not out of the clutch assembly so it is in first gear the way it sits. Based upon looking inside the second gear I see that it has engaged it based upon the wear marks prior to the pin. Clean and relube the OWB (don't lose the washer stuck to it! Also, don't loose the washer stuck to the bearing where the intermediate shaft rests!) and clean out the clutch. Factory setting is around 6 turns out from all the way in. Also, is that the Slayer final drive gear on the output shaft? Switch to the Revo output gears and see what happens. Since you are running bigger tires you'll need to gear down in the tranny; that's why the gear on the output shaft is bigger in the Revo than the Slayer.
    What I have done is hold second gear and use an air compressor to spin first gear and you should hear and feel it shift.
    Also, would you consider selling the Pro arms, rods and shafts?
    Last edited by Double G; 11-15-2011 at 06:03 PM.
    The Super Derecho

Have you ever got the tranny to shift into 2nd running the slayer gears with the big tires??? That’s a very tall gear ratio with those tires for a 3.3 to pull.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Champion
    Deff need to run revo final drive gear ratio.
    Cads, Insane RC, PWC,and BOAT CORNUCOPIA

RC Champion
    Nice job on getting the pics up Spencer, I think DG has you covered, keep the pics coming..
    15 IS Enough, Time to thin down the fleet some.

RC Racer
    Well guys I figured out the problem...kinda. After pulling the tranny apart I decided to put it back together and hold it in the air to feel or hear the shift....(not the greatest for the engine but owell lol) I richened up the engine for outside temps and gave her a go. But it still never shifted. As it ran out of gas it ended up getting quite a bit leaner and as I revved it up right at the top RPM it caught second and then ran outta gas. So I loosened the tranny adjustment screw one hole turn to see what would happen, started it up and wellah it got into second gear. What I don't understand is how it got so tight in the first place. But it works just have to get the screw to where I want it. DG I would deffinetly consider selling the old arms and stuff DO you need the tires too?. PM me with an offer and I can let you know. What gearing is the revo gears that I need to get part number or something? Going to LHS tomorrow after work Thanks guys for your help!! Anybody else have suggestions of what else I might consider getting? Thanks
    Slayer Pro turned Revo

5394x. Probably called the Revo Forward Only Conversion. Should come with two gears. Since you are at 14/40, you may want to go to 38 on the spur and/or 15 on the clutch bell. But it's personal preference and no harm keeping it at what you have.
    I'm taking a look at the prices for the Slayer parts. Just to confirm, it's the second generation Slayer (Slayer Pro) and not the original, correct?
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Yep DG its the slayer pro just purchased in august, probably have 2 quarts of fuel on those pieces.
    Slayer Pro turned Revo

RC Racer
    Hey Snook, I have never gotten into second with the big tires, but I have with the small 1/8 buggy tires....So the final drive gear for the revo is 5394x? the FOC?
    Slayer Pro turned Revo

RC Racer
    DG pm sent
    Slayer Pro turned Revo

RC Racer
    So should I get the FOC(5394x)for the revo and put that in my tranny? Or should I just get the close ratio 2speed gears?
    Slayer Pro turned Revo

Close ratio may help a little bit. The first gear is the same regardless of close, standard or wide; the difference is the second gear. Still, with the bigger tires, go with the Revo FOC.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    I realize that integy parts are not that good, but their MSR6 and XSR2 shocks look pretty cool, has anyone tried them yet?
    Slayer Pro turned Revo

RC Racer
    So I finally got to the LHS and decided to "bite the bullet" and buy the rpm true track, I had broke the RR wheel hub and the cheapest way was to go for that, got it installed last night and installed the RPM Front arms today. Still have to pull the tranny and put in the revo FOC that I got.

Does anyone have any suggestions on my next upgrade, I'm pretty happy with the current setup, should I eventually just get a pico max.26 that I have been eyeing?
    Slayer Pro turned Revo

RC Champion
    Single steering servo.

RC Racer
    Insanity, the slayer pro (which is what I originally had) only comes with one steering servo the traxxas 2075 i believe. Is their a better one that I should change too?
    Slayer Pro turned Revo

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer_lee1993 View Post
    Insanity, the slayer pro (which is what I originally had) only comes with one steering servo the traxxas 2075 i believe. Is their a better one that I should change too?

Spencer, there are about a million servos that are better than the 2075, the question is how much do you want to spend on one, I've got Orion's that came with the CF rig I picked up off the HS that was moving, they are over 100 bucks a piece, powerful and fast, the nicest one I've paid real money for was an AE, I can't remember the number but it's sweet, I've got Hitec's that were under 50 bucks and I've had really good luck with a Spectrum for the steering in XL, that's a big truck with big tires and I went through a few servos in that thing before I got one that would handle the size of the truck and the tires. Bottom line if it's working still don't mess with it, if you feel the truck is not turning fast enough for you or not holding a turn then you may think about getting a higher toque servo, don't get caught up in upgrading stuff that's working just fine. When it breaks, upgrade it. The True Track is a great upgrade, same with the carriers, I've put them trough edit. The only time I've had issues with the carriers was in the winter. I don't know where you live but if you plan on running in the snow and below freezing temps you'll see that everything breaks easier, it can't help it, plastic is brittle when freezing. Where are you at anyway bro? Keep up the good work.

RC Champion
    I realize that integy parts are not that good, but their MSR6 and XSR2 shocks look pretty cool, has anyone tried them yet?
    Don't waste you're money on those shocks bro, the shocks on the revo are excellent, don't believe that integy parts are all junk because that's just not true, they make one of the best rear carriers for the savage, I got them on the flux and the xl, on the savage forums that is one of the highest rated must have mods. Its the bling bling parts that give them the bad rap I think. Dude with the proper spur and clutch bell size's even with 40 series tires you should have no issue hitting second gear with a wide ratio gearing. I would stay wide and put a 40 tooth spur gear on, what tires and wheels are you using now? You'ree going to notice a nice difference when you get the FOC installed but it's a preference thing I'm a center diff guy because I really like the rear brakes, I know you had an issue with them but that wasn't the brakes fault, I'll say one of the best parts I put on a revo was the RD Logics alloy tranny case, and the reason I say that is I've never had to mess with the rear brake parts after I locktighted the screws and set the right tension on the pads. The other 2 plastic cases I have to keep an eye on those screws. There just isn't enough meat there to hold up, one of them stripped out so I have the screws going inside the case, that one holds up nicely. The other plus is the main screws won't strip out. Are you building a basher or a shelf queen, lol spend you're dough on stuff that makes the truck tougher,, looking cool isn't always cool. lol you know what I'm saying bro.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Morancy View Post
    Don't waste you're money on those shocks bro, the shocks on the revo are excellent, don't believe that integy parts are all junk because that's just not true, they make one of the best rear carriers for the savage, I got them on the flux and the xl, on the savage forums that is one of the highest rated must have mods. Its the bling bling parts that give them the bad rap I think. Dude with the proper spur and clutch bell size's even with 40 series tires you should have no issue hitting second gear with a wide ratio gearing. I would stay wide and put a 40 tooth spur gear on, what tires and wheels are you using now? You'ree going to notice a nice difference when you get the FOC installed but it's a preference thing I'm a center diff guy because I really like the rear brakes, I know you had an issue with them but that wasn't the brakes fault, I'll say one of the best parts I put on a revo was the RD Logics alloy tranny case, and the reason I say that is I've never had to mess with the rear brake parts after I locktighted the screws and set the right tension on the pads. The other 2 plastic cases I have to keep an eye on those screws. There just isn't enough meat there to hold up, one of them stripped out so I have the screws going inside the case, that one holds up nicely. The other plus is the main screws won't strip out. Are you building a basher or a shelf queen, lol spend you're dough on stuff that makes the truck tougher,, looking cool isn't always cool. lol you know what I'm saying bro.
    Hey Al, I am in Toronto, Ontario, Canada...Our winters are usually pretty ruff here. Right now its only about 30 so I can tell its definitely going to be a cold winter. As for the servo, I agree with you it seems to be fine right now, I am running the Revo Talon Tires, my first set of big tires considering that I was using the slayer pro tires and 1/8 street tires for a while. The servo seems to have no problem with the tires, although I haven't been able to run it at any high speeds since I fixed the tranny.

It should be interesting when I get the FOC in to see what happens. I will agree that the rear brake definitely is a good mod. But for me as long as I am able to bash I am happy. I don't like the aluminum parts not a big fan of a shelf queen, just beating on the truck is what I do best. Good to know about the RD logics alloy tranny case, I will look into that bc I did notice the problem with the screws as you described. Well that all I have for today Al, hoping to get the tranny pulled tomorrow to get the FOC in and then back to bashing hopefully on sunday with my cousin and uncle they have a LST2 and Savage X respectively. Both AMAZING trucks
    Slayer Pro turned Revo

RC Champion
    A wing, do the spring mod for the brakes. Put fuel tubing n the brakes. Steve Slayton mod, zip ties on your motors head to keep it from scratching. Also change out the throttle servo return spring for one that's a little weaker.(nitro 4tec spring). 1/2inch offset wheels, engine brace (M2C). A decent clutch when yours go out.
    So I finally got to the LHS and decided to "bite the bullet" and buy the rpm true track, I had broke the RR wheel hub and the cheapest way was to go for that, got it installed last night and installed the RPM Front arms today. Still have to pull the tranny and put in the revo FOC that I got.

Does anyone have any suggestions on my next upgrade, I'm pretty happy with the current setup, should I eventually just get a pico max.26 that I have been eyeing?

HTC Evo 4G on Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by JLRevo; 11-19-2011 at 06:32 PM.
    Go Patriots!

RC Racer
    I have the wing already but am thinking of doing the brake mod.

I am thinking of getting a new engine for it though, I am considering getting an axial either the .28 spec 2 or the .32RR. I can get the .28 for about 1/2 the price of the .32 but cannot seem to find many reviews on it. Wondering if anyone has put them in their Revo's or anything else yet.
    Slayer Pro turned Revo

RC Racer
    I picked up a new motor today....Ofna Force .28. The guy wanted 100$ he says he only ran 3 tanks on it. Hasent even completed the brake in yet.

I now need to get new era big block mount and clutch. Maybe bb clutch bell too. Any ideas what I should get for cb teeth? Stay with my current 14 or go bigger maybe?
    Slayer Pro turned Revo

RC Racer
    Well, its been busy around here lately with work and all and finely got to putting the bb in. I did not order the New Era mount but used the "ingeniousity" of my uncle. We built a add on for the traxxas stock 3.3 mount. Not quite complete but it is looking promising. Adjustable for larger and smaller cb and for different size motors as well. Pics to come
    Slayer Pro turned Revo

RC Champion
    Bro with that kind of power you can run and 18 38 all day long, you have no choice on the bell you need an 1/8 scale, that's what that flywheel that is on there is. if you ran a smaller clutch you'd just destory it. Lets see this mount. Don't be surprised if you have to move the tranny forward, unless the uncle has some real tricks up is sleeve, the true BB's need about an exra 5/16's to mesh up right, it's not hard to do so no worries. Thats one of the beauties of the stock center CVD's, not to mention they are tough as edit. but you got all kinds of play, on my carbon fiber rig with the LRP 30 in it I have Vantage center cvd's and i'm bone hard now and the bell teeth just got into the slipper pad holder, only took a minute for it to mod it's self. If it was off by a couple more mm's I would have had to put the stock center cvd back in the front. Keep up the goo work. Bed time.

I picked up a new motor today....Ofna Force .28. The guy wanted 100$ he says he only ran 3 tanks on it. Hasent even completed the brake in yet.

I now need to get new era big block mount and clutch. Maybe bb clutch bell too. Any ideas what I should get for cb teeth? Stay with my current 14 or go bigger maybe?
    Last edited by Al Morancy; 11-26-2011 at 10:51 PM.

RC Competitor
    Just a question, if the guy you picked up the engine from has only ran three tanks through it, and it isn't broken in yet, why are there scratches on the cooling head?

RC Racer
    Snail, he says that when he started the buggy up it got away from him and got stuck under his car exhaust.....The LSN was way out of adjustment. But it is still really tight will see what happens!
    Slayer Pro turned Revo

RC Competitor
    That makes sense, lol. Guess he didn't think to keep it on an open road away from things. No wonder he sold it off, guess it was too much for him.

RC Racer
    He didn't seem like the smartest guy lol
    Slayer Pro turned Revo

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Morancy View Post
    Bro with that kind of power you can run and 18 38 all day long, you have no choice on the bell you need an 1/8 scale, that's what that flywheel that is on there is. if you ran a smaller clutch you'd just destory it. Lets see this mount. Don't be surprised if you have to move the tranny forward, unless the uncle has some real tricks up is sleeve, the true BB's need about an exra 5/16's to mesh up right, it's not hard to do so no worries. Thats one of the beauties of the stock center CVD's, not to mention they are tough as edit. but you got all kinds of play, on my carbon fiber rig with the LRP 30 in it I have Vantage center cvd's and i'm bone hard now and the bell teeth just got into the slipper pad holder, only took a minute for it to mod it's self. If it was off by a couple more mm's I would have had to put the stock center cvd back in the front. Keep up the goo work. Bed time.
    Hey Al, haven't had time to get the mesh setup perfectly but we have messed around with it and it seems to be getting their. Yesterday was to get the throttle linkage setup, it works pretty nicely. Guess what! we didnt even need to move the tranny forward either. Will post pics once I get the truck going, want to make sure it holds up before I post up pics.
    Slayer Pro turned Revo

RC Racer
    I am trying to decide what spare parts I should be carrying with me when I go run, I have some spare arms, maybe carriers? What do you guys think, Right now I have RPM arms all the way around, true track in the back, and stock carriers in the front. I was reading somewhere that people have problems with the pillow balls falling out or somehting? Should I be concerned about this with the trutrack?
    Slayer Pro turned Revo

RC Champion
    If you brake an RPM A arm well its time to just go home for the day. I would have carriers, drive shafts, some bearings, rod ends, and depending how far you go bulkheads.

RC Champion
    You can make it so it is harder to pull out the balls with the steel ring off a set of stock carriers or make a ring to press around the lip where the ball goes through.

RC Racer
    Well got the final adjustments finished last night and tried to fire the bb up....and it started right up! let it idle for a bit then took it out to warm it up and man this thing is unbelievable! when it started to pick up the front end I gave it an extra shot of gas and you could here the wing scrape across the ground as it wheelied. When I hit the brakes to stop it it stalled and would not start back up. Long story short I got ripped off on this craigslist deal kinda. The original owner who had "3 tanks on it" had broke the spring and clip that turned the crank from the block back plate. We think he turned the pin the other way and put it back in minus the spring, because both ends of the pin where broken. Fortunately no damage to the piston or sleeve. New pin is 4$. Just need to see where I can find one.
    Slayer Pro turned Revo

RC Racer
    Hey guys I am looking at picking up a roller for parts/second revo not sure yet. The guys wants 100$ for it, the pic looks like it comes with the servos too, not sure about the radio. What do you guys think of the price

Slayer Pro turned Revo

RC Champion
    Get it worth the spare parts.

RC Racer
    Hey guys, finally got to fixing the ofna force .28 last night, we fixed the pin and spring, reassembled the engine and re-mounted on our custom bb mount. Took her outside and it started instantly, it was prettt cold out around 0 degrees, so we richened it up like crazy to get some good lubrication going, as it started to warm up, tank after tank we started leaning it out, After 4 tanks temps were around 150, still cool but man this is like a completely different truck! It wheelies off the line, but if you ease into the throttle and get a good wot it will wheelie at high speed too! Amazing truck, broke the wing off cheap traxxas mount broke when it landed on the wing,lol. Anyways, I will post up some pics soon. And maybe a video too!
    Slayer Pro turned Revo

RC Racer
    BTW I broke the mount for the wing, so I a going to screw the wing into the body posts, as I don't run with the body, But I am gonna have to get a wheelie bar, any ideas on a good one? Is the traxxas one decent?
    Slayer Pro turned Revo

RC Racer
    Was it the center part, what you broke? If that's how it is I suggest you get Integy wing mount (the one what looks just like the Traxxas one) and put the center part to Traxxas outer parts. Then you don't need a wheelie bar. You could also put some small wheels to the wing somehow.
    |Traxxas|Revo|3.3|#5309|FIN|

RC Racer
    Nope the center part is still intact, I broke off the part that the wing sits on, one side broke completely off.
    Slayer Pro turned Revo