RC Champion

Can you overvolt (7.4V) the Link 2218 receiver.

I did find a thread but no answer : http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...x-2218-on-7.4v

Simply as the title says can you run the 2218 LINK receiver on a higher voltage to take advantage of the new HV servos out there. I haven't tried but most receivers of old would run on less voltage, 4.8v is the norm for plane guys. A fully charged receiver pack is always over 6v for the first little bit of the run. If not 7.4 volts maybe somewhere in the middle (6.5-7.0V).

I have an adjustable BEC (MMP) and am shopping for some new servos.
    Pay It Forward.

IIRC, one member claimed Support told him 6.0V (nominal) was the maximum. Even if this is correct, you do not need to route the servo power through the Rx, just the servo signal.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    IIRC, one member claimed Support told him 6.0V (nominal) was the maximum. Even if this is correct, you do not need to route the servo power through the Rx, just the servo signal.
    Well I finally for my hitec HS 7940-TH in. I did find some links and sucesfully wired it up with the servo powered by the external CC BEC and the receiver powered by the MMP BEC. Did some testing. Servo is at 7.4v and the receiver was at 6.0. I did find contrary to what I read it needed a ground and signal plugged into the 2218 receiver to work. All 3 wired plugged into the servo tied to a y-harness with signal and ground (-) wired to the receiver and hot (+) and ground (-) to the BEC.

All worked great but I was counting on not having to do this so. I had to use a light duty y-harness to do the split instead of my HD extension (plug into servo, + and - to BEC, Signal alone to receiver). I was going to have to wait on a HD Y harness (the 7940 takes alot of power, 20g wire a must).

So I hooked up just a receiver and the 7940 servo the external BEC and started bumping up the voltage to see if it could handle it. Worked fine up to 7.4v. Started over again with load on the servo (front end weighted down on carpet) from 6 to 7.4v. Still fine. Then I just abused it. Working the servo hard, holding the tire (constant torque stall) and just back and forth until the servo got warm (good 110F). Still fine. So in my experince so far the 2218 link receiver works fine on 7.4v. Then again a fully peaked 5 cell receiver pack can peak well over 7v.

A note about these high end servos: They really want the amperage. The MMP BEC is rated at 3A with a 5A burst. Working it hard and under load (at the same voltage) the servo runs considerable stronger off the external BEC. I didn't experience a "brown out" as described on other boards but I could see it happen. I think I own this to the soft servo saver spring, giving a little and reducing the torque load (ergo amperage).

I will be running the external BEC plugged into the 2218 at 7.4v. Just curious it it will hold up over time. If it fries I will just put in another 2218 and rewire (7.4v to servo, 6.0v to receiver.)
    Last edited by OCD RC; 11-29-2011 at 03:43 AM.
    Pay It Forward.

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    According to this PDF file: http://traxxas.com/pdfs/2217_2228_22...24_Binding.pdf

From 4.8v to 7.2v should be fine...

He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

Thanks to danielhr77 for finding this!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Cheers on this thread, I'm going through the exact same thing. 7.4 volt servo in my ERBE, wondering if I can just crank up the volts, since the MMM now has adjustable BEC voltage.

I'm going to link up tonight and turn the volume up to 11.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. NStampede Freak's Avatar
    Can traxxas servos handle 7.2V? I would put a 6 cell RX pack on my maxx if I knew for sure. Maxx trucks need fast strong servos....
    N Stampede 2.5R
    E Stampede VXL
    Tmaxx 2.5

From the TQi manual, page 8 and TQ Link instructions page 2, under "TQi/TQ 2.4GHz Binding Instructions":
    Note: the receiver must be connected to a 4.8-6.0v (nominal) power source for binding and the transmitter and receiver must be within 5 feet of each other.
    From the original (non-Link) 2.4GHz instructions:
    Note: the receiver must be connected to a 4.8-7.2v power source for binding.