Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Competitor
    Sure.

The reason these wheels need to be modded is because the hub of the wheel is so thick that only 1-2 threads of the axle shaft extend through the wheel when you put it on.

Think of a barrel nut like a piece of tube with threads inside it and a hex on one end so that you can tighten it. This allows it to extend down into the wheel to grab the threads on the axle shaft that aren't exposed. (For best results try to find a barrel nut M4 in size with a shoulder 4-6mm or no longer than 1/4")

The center hole on the wheel, however is designed to fit fairly closely around the axle shaft. We therefore need to open the hole up just a bit to allow the barrel nut to pass into the wheel. For my barrel nuts a 15/64 drill bit worked perfectly.

Very little material is actually removed from the hole so you keep all the strength that this extra thick wheel has. In the pic below the wheel on the left is stock and the one on the right has been drilled. As you can see, the hole is just a tad larger.

Once the hole is drilled, simply slip the wheel on like normal and thread the barrel nut on just like a regular lug nut. For added strength you can put a washer on, which I assume most of us do with the regular nuts anyway.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by drex1971; 01-08-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Spectacular write up!!
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Wow. That's a great idea. I'll try that next time. For the short time that they did work, they worked really well and kept my MERV from flipping.

RC Qualifier
    Just order the jconcet relux 2.2 wheel I hear it's a great off set with buggy tires I will let you guys know how it works out. No mod needed direct fit
    Rustler Vxl Spc lipo 3s

RC Champion
    Thanks for this thread helped my friend out a ton. Also explained why people with rpm wheels are wider then my hpi mesh ones. Ty,

RC Qualifier
    Question... about the tires... I want to run the dirt hawgs on the summit wheels.... I still need the buggy width right??
    E-Maxx | T-Maxx 3.3 | (2) MERV's | YZ250F

Which dirt hawgs are you talking about?

Buggy rears have been mounted on truck width HPI mesh with some finesse. How do those compare to the Summit wheels?
    Standard truck hawgs have been mounted on buggy width and truck width rims... you will need to gear down quite a bit though.

RC Racer
    First, very helpful write up. Thank you for taking the time to do this for folks.
    Second, (and I can move this to the full size slash 4x4 thread if I'm breaking any rules here) will these also help widen the full size slash?

RC Qualifier
    So I was at my LHS yesterday and I tried to order some revolvers and their dealer website said 'disc. by man.'

Has anyone else heard anything about them being discontinued?
    * "If it ain't broke, your doin it wrong" *

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by mgbrandy View Post
    Just order the jconcet relux 2.2 wheel I hear it's a great off set with buggy tires I will let you guys know how it works out. No mod needed direct fit
    Hi Mgbrandy, may I know the wheel is Rulux #3322B or #3333B?

RC Racer
    Where can we find those barrel nuts?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have 5 sets ! Only nut I run on mine!
    After I shortened mine I took a tap and threaded it down as it wasnt threaded all the way

RC Racer
    They are out of stock at Junfac like forever, do anyone know another store?

RC Qualifier
    Here ya go: http://junfacusa.gostorego.com/junfa...-jun51131.html

Or get the 17 or 20mm version from Junfac, you'll have to shorten them anyway.

RC Racer
    Yeh, you are right thanks CMD!

RC Racer
    Don't buy above the 14mm then you will not have enough treath after shorten them..

RC Competitor
    I had to post up here to say thanks for an awesome set up. I went with the Road Rage tires over Dirt Hawgs (probably do a Road Hawg set up soon) and I'm loving this set up.

I Gorilla tape Belted them before mounting the tires but I still have to wait for those special nuts to properly mount them. They are ordered, just from china takes a bit o time.

I have an SV Raptor lid on the way too to complete the look change, I really dig the wider stance and deep dish of these Crawler wheels.

Yup... great write-up for HPI tires.

I did the barrel nut mod as well:

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...ep-falling-off
    Slash 4X4 LCG Platinum / Mini E-Revo VXL

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Yup... great write-up for HPI tires.

I did the barrel nut mod as well:

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...ep-falling-off
    This is actually for RPM Crawler wheels and Proline buggy tires.

What HPI wheels need the barrel nut to mout up on the MERV, all of mine bolt up with the stock nut.

What HPI wheels need a barrel nut?

RC Competitor
    Love the wider stance.

Has anyone ever tried the wheel extension adapters, they have some up to +25mm.

This is what they look like:
    Last edited by TonyTorque; 01-28-2016 at 07:26 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by SiNFUllR3VO View Post
    I had to post up here to say thanks for an awesome set up. I went with the Road Rage tires over Dirt Hawgs (probably do a Road Hawg set up soon) and I'm loving this set up.

I Gorilla tape Belted them before mounting the tires but I still have to wait for those special nuts to properly mount them. They are ordered, just from china takes a bit o time.

I have an SV Raptor lid on the way too to complete the look change, I really dig the wider stance and deep dish of these Crawler wheels.

I don't think I'd bother trying the dirt hawgs.
    I went with hpi mesh wheels and the dirt hawgs.

While they may not traction roll, they also don't seem to have much traction either.

I will state that I'm using the center diff on my merv and could be part of the reason I dislike this combo.

Draw your own conclusions from my experience.

With the center diff installed and a long running start, you can still here the fronts fighting for traction as it goes by at speed. More speed than is good for it anyway.
    Fix it it till it's broke.

Quote Originally Posted by SiNFUllR3VO View Post
    This is actually for RPM Crawler wheels and Proline buggy tires.

What HPI wheels need the barrel nut to mout up on the MERV, all of mine bolt up with the stock nut.

What HPI wheels need a barrel nut?
    Sorry... I didn't se this till now.

Go to post #10 and read from there about my HPIs:

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5770320

HPI wheels were too thick and my stub axles didn't leave much thread for my wheel nuts. The wheels also had a larger hole for 5mm axels, not the 4mm that we need for the MERV. This mod took care of both problems for me.

Your Road Rage setup looks great!
    Slash 4X4 LCG Platinum / Mini E-Revo VXL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12