Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: MPH Challenge

RC poster
    I thought I had found this project long enough after the start date so I wouldn't have to endure any waiting for updates. Haha

RC Racer
    WRONG lol it all good though perfection takes time. Snook is makin great progress if you ask me.
    AIRTIME Woooooo (10 mins later) Down time dang

RC poster
    haha yeah, It is amazing what he has done so far. If I can't even begin to think how to make a custom anything let alone design something like this haha.
    Last edited by Saintpede; 07-18-2012 at 09:39 PM.

RC Racer
    I get a bit overwhelmed with my maxx and its bone stock so i can imagine this is a massive undertaking.
    AIRTIME Woooooo (10 mins later) Down time dang

RC Competitor
    Any updates?
    Rustler VXL
    PURE LIPO POWER

Out of town working on a project until Aug 8th. Nothing to update.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Enthusiast
    Boooooo!!! lol
    I check just about every day if not twice a day hoping for an update, oh well. Gives me something to look forward too now lol

Boooooo!!! lol
    I check just about every day if not twice a day hoping for an update, oh well. Gives me something to look forward too now lol
    ^+1
    Summit Rustler Sl2sh TMaxx Pnde Slayer Sl4sh

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    ^+1
    ^+1
    Cars: erevo vxl, 1/16 summit, stampede vxl, tmaxx

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man View Post
    Out of town working on a project until Aug 8th. Nothing to update.
    Dont worry, but the time is killing me.
    Good luck with the other project.
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Qualifier
    Snook... What happened to the other project u was working on? I think it was a purple supermaxx.
    I dream of big block power...

RC Competitor
    any updates?
    Could you go and flip my truck back over?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisnhisrevo View Post
    Snook... What happened to the other project u was working on? I think it was a purple supermaxx.
    This one?:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...le-Tmaxx-build
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Qualifier
    If your asking about Blazerss project, I think it became an E Maxx.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...le-Emaxx-Build
    Last edited by NitroTrout; 08-12-2012 at 10:12 AM.
    Bash, Crash, Upgrade, Repeat..

RC Qualifier
    Yea thats right it was blazers. An emaxx..
    I dream of big block power...

RC Champion
    He also did the same theme build, except a T-Maxx a couple months ago..

It is his truck build that all started with building a three-speed transmission from the T-Maxx tranny. Just search under his name for started threads.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    how difficult is it to get 2 nitro motors to run in sync? from my experiences with nitro's one is hard enough to get perfect let alone 2 at the same time just wondering how that process is and how much aggravation
    Man if i could fly..........

RC Champion
    Biased people aren't we?
    Matthew 7:7

RC poster
    Any updates?

RC Racer
    Just looked for some updates in this thread and saw my name being tossed around. Just to clear it all up, I have a purple Tmaxx that I did first (just waiting on my motor for it to be complete) then I did an Emaxx that is like the Tmaxx's brother. 2 separate trucks. The emaxx is about 1/2 done. Small world to be checking on someone else's projects and see that your own projects have made it into the discussion, Im just glad some people checked them out.

Back to snookman's project though, hopefully we will see some updates soon.

No updates to report. The build is currently oiled up and sealed in a tote box.
    I’ve been extremely busy with work the past 6 weeks. It is our busiest time of the year for inspections.
    I’ve been to New Orleans LA (2 weeks), Tampa, Largo, and Orlando FL, Chicago IL, Spartanburg SC, and am now in Pass Christian Mississippi for 7 more days (all in the last 6 weeks).
    After the Labor Day weekend and a (well deserved) mini vacation I promised the wife, I should have some free time to unbox the build and get back at it. Hopefully no large away from home projects will crop up between now and then.

RC poster
    Apparently that employer doesn't realize how cool this build is. You should be on mandatory leave with pay untill it is finished.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Saintpede View Post
    Apparently that employer doesn't realize how cool this build is. You should be on mandatory leave with pay untill it is finished.
    Hey, that's an idea..........
    Matthew 7:7

Any updates??? Has it hit the magical 100mph mark yet?
    I WANT MORE UPDATES!!!
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 09-07-2012 at 04:37 PM.

Still sealed in the tote... Not enough free time to dedicate to it as of yet.
    Its not something you would want to just hurry up and run unless you have prepped for it.

October brings cooler temps and less work load for me. As much as I'd like to just get it out and run it, I am forcing myself to wait until I can give it my full attention.

Still sealed in the tote... Not enough free time to dedicate to it as of yet.
    Its not something you would want to just hurry up and run unless you have prepped for it.

October brings cooler temps and less work load for me. As much as I'd like to just get it out and run it, I am forcing myself to wait until I can give it my full attention
    Awwwwwwww.... Ok, Snook, I'll let you pass this time... I just can't wait to see it hit 100MPH!! When I saw that Snook Man was the last poster in this thread, I thought, YES!!! AN UPDATE!! Hmmmm... guess not... LOL.

I had a few days of free time so I unboxed the beast.

Its been almost 2 months since I boxed it up and in the time since then I have thought about the throttle linkage and came to the conclusion that I need to redesign it completely. Itís something thatís been bugging me since the last time I ran it.

There are just too many pieces involved with it the way it is now and I need to design it to be more simplistic (KISS).
    I stripped the bellcrank and linkages completely off & tossed them in a parts bin. I will see if I can make my own custom dual bearing bellcrank from 7075 that will work out better than the stock bellcrank I was using.

hey ideas are the best thing to go on when building something like this. Its a good idea to take a break sometimes to give time to think of stuff and you remember what your doing i do it all the time with work, stuff i have to build that i never built before and works out even better than if i were to stay on that project without taking a break. Great job though so far and the video was nice. Have you picked a road to reach the challenge? got a pic by chance?
    DEU 8:18 ESV

For basic testing I will use a church parking lot nearby my house, but any real speed runs will be done at a private air strip about 25 minutes away. I will need to clean up some weeds/grass that have grown through and repair a few holes/cracks but after that and blowing it off with a couple leaf blowers strapped to my 4 wheeler it should do nicely.
    A buddy of mine has a tree trimming business and a boom bucket truck that I can also use as a elevated platform for better range and visibility if they will let us take it out in the field beside runway

sounds like a very nice place to run it when the time comes. a little work to begin is good so it doesnt break before getting up to speed.
    That is a great idea about the boom bucket truck wish i had something similar when running far away. i get over 500ft and gets hard to see my truck after that.

whats the range of the radio your using for this? i would think maybe around over 1500ft/ 1/2 mile or so as this is going to need room to catch speed. wondering about that.

RC Enthusiast
    Can't wait to see how this story ends (does it every really end though with our cars?). Awesome work Snook Man.
    I love his music, I do. I'm a Michael Bolton fan.

Quote Originally Posted by mike-susieq1 View Post
    whats the range of the radio your using for this? i would think maybe around over 1500ft/ 1/2 mile or so as this is going to need room to catch speed. wondering about that.
    Hopefully I wonít need that much room. It is surprisingly a lot quicker than I thought it was going to be.
    I have been eyeballing the Futaba FASST systems as they supposedly have the best range of anything available, just donít know if I want to drop that much $$ on it yet.
    Maybe Santa will put something in my stocking this year.

I did conquer the throttle issue that has been bugging me; one of my pet peeves is a throttle thatís not working correctly, and this one was really gnawing at me.

I made a custom bellcrank with the dimensions I needed to simplify the throttle linkage.

I used a piece of ľ inch T6 7075 for the bellcrank
    I also used larger 6x10 flanged bearings than the stock bellcrank uses on the top and bottom and made a post to the correct height that mounts to the center chassis brace.

I spun both throttle arms 180į from their previous position and used a short threaded rod and a new ball end to couple the bell crank to the right side engine throttle arm.
    I then made a solid T6 7075 narrow aluminum bar to connect the two throttle arms together.
    I just had to measure the distance between the two throttle arm attachment screws with the valves held closed and drill/tap the bar to that measurement. 3mm cap head screws replace the grub screws normally used to anchor the throttle arm to the slide valve and they go through the bar and into the throttle arms.
    I used a little longer screw on the left side engine so I could attach a throttle return spring to it and added a screw to the center chassis brace to anchor the other end of the return spring.
    Just a very slight twist of the left carb in the engine block was needed to sync the two throttle valves together.
    Even without the main return spring attached, the small spring I have installed on the linkage rod at the servo horn was plenty to return both valves to the idle gap without binding at all, whereas the other setup was really relying on the return spring to help bring the valves back to idle.

After assembling everything and making a few adjustments I worked the throttle with the radio for about an hour and was very pleased with the end result.
    Compared to the old setup itís night and day at how well this one works and how easy it was to adjust. KISS.

New bellcrank left / Old monstrosity bellcrank right, never to be seen again.

Bellcrank post

Attached to post

Right engine installed

All assembled.

Several times during mock-up I told myself to just make a bellcrank to fit the way I wanted, but just kept adding too/modifying the stock Maxx bellcrank to no avail.

Keep It Simple Snook.

now that is a bellcrank compared to the old one wonder why no company has made one like that before. that looks alot better than the one before and much more simple like you said. Getting there slowly improvements now before running is working good getting it even better than the before plans.

Thats no suprise with the engines your using there and the setup you have them. The radio i hear good things about and i can understand price man are they pricey didnt think radios would be that much. if it can be controlled at take off going fast then it should reach the mark quick just the stopping also as to be taken into account so additional range would be needed.

RC Qualifier
    THIS THING IS SICK!
    Desmosedici RR

THIS THING IS SICK!
    Yep! +1000000^!!!

RC Qualifier
    Now lets see it run again lol
    Joshua 24:15 Choose this day who ye will serve

RC Qualifier
    is it over??

It better not be over. If it is, would some one PLEASE go find where Snook Man lives, then tell him TO FINISH IT AND MAKE IT GO OVER 100MPH!!!

One thing I’ve learned over the years is, custom builds are never done...There is always something that you are going too, or want to change.
    This one isn’t close to being complete yet. Probably will not get any more run time on it until this spring.
    But that will give me time to make the bodies for it during the slow winter months.
    Patience is a virtue.