Thread: Clicking!?

RC Racer

Clicking!?

So I here clicking and I'm not a happy camper. I just fixed my drive shafts so I could run my mini summit and now something else is wrong. Usually I here 1 single click when I punch reverse. Sometimes breaking after coming down from a wheely makes 1 single click as well. I'm nervous about this because the only thing I have ever worked on in my truck is the drive shafts. I don't know much about gearing and correctly lubing and what have you. So my question is what do you think is making that 1 click and what is the procedure if any at this point. I'll be happy to try and explain what the problem is more if I don't make sense. Again I'm kinda new at RC cars, hence my nervousness to mess with the driveline and gears. Where is the crying face? Uh this will do

RC Racer
    ok i had the same problem and soon it will turn to 2 clicks and then 3 and then you cant keep track of how many. what it is is the differential, what happens is the gears are in the plastic bulk head, so the have room to move away from each other under stress and then strip so the click that you hear is the diff slipping a tooth on the gear. Eventually the gear will wear out, so to fix it you need to replace the differential gears and shim them i did it with 8x10mm kyosho shims it comes with 10 of each 0.1, 0.2 and 0.3 thickness shims. Also check this out it tells you how to shim them. http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-your-bulkhead. Ever sense i did this no clicking and no problems with my diffs. It takes patients but it pays off in the long run good luck.

RC Racer
    I had a feeling I might get this answer. This sounds great and all but I click on the link and step 1 is: Complete Tear Down. That to me scares the crap out of me. Can I do this without a complete tear down? I'm nervous about not being able to put it back together correctly. Is it as difficult as it looks or am I being a weener?

Patience is key...
    Unfortunately, the differential is really buried in the lil bugger.
    Take pictures as you go, that could help you a lot with reassembly.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    The good news is most of the parts fall back in place just as they cam out so long as you keep them seperated as you take them apart. Use a tackle box, zip lock bags or any other device you can think of to place your parts in as you take them apart. This way you can label where each group of parts go...i.e. right front, left front, front bumper assembly..ect. Pay extra attention to the screws and make sure they are grouped with the correct parts group.

Its really not as bad as it sounds, take you time when you do your tear down and assembly will be much easier. I would alos suggst investing in a decent set of tools to make the project easier...it can get a little time consuming with the stock wrenches supplied with your kit.

RC Racer
    yeah it looks like a lot to keep track of but if you keep it organized it really isnt that bad and if you really dont feel comfortable you can take it to you LHS (local hobby store) but they might charge you a bit extra

RC Racer
    couple of tear downs and you remember more each time! i always take pics when i tear down something i havnt before on my motorbikes. always helps a treat! Set up a little area where u work on ur truck and just be PATIENT!!! and have fun man

RC Racer
    Thanks for the advice guys! I'm kinda getting excited to do this now. I have my camera ready. Now I need to go to my lhs to get a little rebuild kit for the diffs and I'll be off!

RC Enthusiast
    Good luck man! I actually have to do a rebuild on my rear diffs this weekend, lack of shim has lead to major stripping Going to shim the rear to match the front and step up to 50w diff lube.

i started tearing my summit down last night while watching and probably paying more attention to a hockey game. it gets really easy after a couple times. take pics and print out the exploded views and you are golden.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Racer
    Hey I got my Mini Summit apart just know. It wasn't bad at all, in fact it was so fun. I found out that the main diff gear is basically missing 4 teeth. There your clicking right there. I called Traxxas to find out what oil weight to put in the diff after replacing the new gear and one thing led to another. So now there sending me a gear and I don't have to buy one. I think I might take apart the rear for fun. Hopefully things go as well during assembly as they went during tear down. I have about 6 ziploc bags and three jars full of parts and labled. I took pictures and wrote a word document on how I tore it down. A little overboard I think but it should make assembly easier. I pumped this is going well. Thanks for the encouragement!

Glad it is going great for you!

Don't forget to shim upon reassembly!!
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Racer
    ya im going to my lhs to see if they have them and then Ill put it back together.