RC poster

Angry Dead Traxxas NiMH

I bought a 4x4 Slash I think last December and the battery that came with it only takes half a charge. I've probably only got 10 full charges out of it. I think one of the cells may have died. Is there any good solutions to fix it? I've been using a prophecy charger and would wear it down and charge it to full so no funny business to break it.

I also had the servo go out within a month, the wires were attached all the way so steering would go out constantly and it was just out of warranty. So I had to replace it with a cheapy non-waterproof servo so I could even use it. I've had a lot of trouble with this thing

-Bob

what are you chargeing the battery at? thats a 3000mah battery so it shouldnt be charged no more than 3amps and if you want it to last i would charge under that around 2-2.5amps only to prolong battery life. have you worn down the battery to where its dead or where performance slows? plays a big roll in battery life.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Champion
    now have you been letting it cool after charging and after running?
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mike-susieq1 View Post
    what are you chargeing the battery at? thats a 3000mah battery so it shouldnt be charged no more than 3amps and if you want it to last i would charge under that around 2-2.5amps only to prolong battery life. have you worn down the battery to where its dead or where performance slows? plays a big roll in battery life.
    I've been charging it about 1amp to 2 amps, usually one. And I usually run it so where its near death, where the car won't move under its own power since I don't have a discharger.

Quote Originally Posted by The VXL View Post
    now have you been letting it cool after charging and after running?
    Yep, I think I have charged it once when it was warm. Would that of been the reason? Is it really that bad for it?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNostromo View Post
    I've been charging it about 1amp to 2 amps, usually one. And I usually run it so where its near death, where the car won't move under its own power since I don't have a discharger.

Yep, I think I have charged it once when it was warm. Would that of been the reason? Is it really that bad for it?
    don't run it near death every run as soon as the performance drops off bring it in to cool down do what you were doing only every month or so

and if you charged it when it was warm it is highly unlikely that you damaged it that way just avoid doing that

as for your pack condition call traxxas and see if they can replace it because those charge rates are low and you haven't done anything strictly wrong
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNostromo View Post
    And I usually run it so where its near death, where the car won't move under its own power since I don't have a discharger.
    Running a Nimh pack this low, even just one time, will permanently damage one or more cells in the pack. Stop running the vehicle when you notice it slowing noticeably.

RC poster
    Thanks guys, I just wanted to confirm if it was my fault or not. Sounds like it was. In that case I'll just end up buying a new one and upgrade.

RC Champion
    don't get the same batt consider a lipo
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC poster
    a SKY LIPO 4000mAh 20C 11.1v Hard Case ordered with a Thunder AC6 charger. Thanks guys!

For future reference, how many C with the Slash 4x4 handle? I've heard 40c's but would I need a ESC fan for it then?

RC Champion
    C ain't important for heat issues actually the more you have the better
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    Running a Nimh pack this low, even just one time, will permanently damage one or more cells in the pack. Stop running the vehicle when you notice it slowing noticeably.

http://traxxas.com/support/Traxxas-Battery-Basics
    I think someone goofed at TRX based on what I just noticed !!!"Storing Your Batteries
    Nickel batteries should be fully discharged before charging, and should be stored fully discharged (just use the battery in your R/C vehicle until the battery can no longer move it)."

RC Champion
    I think you'll find traxxas know what they are talking about because storing is entirely different. They do not recommend you run your vehicle down until it won't move every time normally but only for storage. I have found many threads and even websites that back this up
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by The VXL View Post
    I think you'll find traxxas know what they are talking about because storing is entirely different. They do not recommend you run your vehicle down until it won't move every time normally but only for storage. I have found many threads and even websites that back this up
    And it is still wrong.

RC Champion
    What do you suggest then? what is best for storing. Surely not fully charged?
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nimh should always be stored fully charged.

i store mine fully charged and recharge every 2-3 weeks to repeak them, has worked great for the past 2months now as its cold here to run my rc anyways. getting lipos as well as soon as the packs ship from spc the new one's. I thought the same thing about storing your nimh batteries discharged but then learned the easy way the stock battery for my merv went dead fast because i didnt store it correctly until i learned on here how to store them. think it was Jakey that pointed that out to me.

RC Champion
    so when should discharging take place? every now and again or never?
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    During storage, don't worry about discharging. During normal use, discharging by operating the pack in the RC vehicle is more than sufficient. Just stop as soon as you notice the vehicle slowing noticeably.

RC Champion
    I'm confused about this storing will all this conflicting info...
    I'll pm you
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    Nimh should always be stored fully charged.
    You sound so confident, what do you think you are..... a mechanical engineer, a professional battery matcher/builder of NiMH packs made with Ener-G 4600's, later changed to LiPo's, with a great reputation in the forums or something !!

You know Jakey I emailed tech support about this topic and I "reported" my post with the little exclamation point in the lower left of the posting boxes, but never got a response from anyone at Traxxas.
    Maybe they meant NiCD's should be discharged.
    Brian
    3905 Emaxx

RC Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mike-susieq1 View Post
    i didnt store it correctly until i learned on here how to store them. think it was Jakey that pointed that out to me.

Jakey is to NiMH's and LiPO as Suicideneil/ArmyOfDarkness is to Emaxx FAQ......

Bottom line -
    NiCD's - can be discharged completely and are very low maintenance.
    NiMH's - should never be discharged completely while running, or to .9v/cell on a discharge tray, should be stored charged and topped off every few weeks during storage, and re-peak charged just prior to running for best performance. Pack should be warm when properly peak charged. Don't let a NiMH pack over heat while running, and allow to cool completely between charges for best lifespan.
    LiPo - only use if you REALLY understand them, and follow directions carefully.
    LiFE/A123 - the most abuse tolerant, can be discharged without harm, safer than LiPO but I only see LiFE packs available in low capacity packs from Venom, Pro-Tek, Reedy, MaxAmps and A123 from Tanic Packs website. He's got some A123 packs for the Emaxx vehicles, but very expensive.
    3905 Emaxx

i discharge my nicd pack for my ez starter all the way down and then recharge every 5-10 cycles i use it as it might retain that memory effect.