Thread: ESC Options

RC Qualifier

ESC Options

So last week I bought a brushed E-REVO equipped with dual Kershaw Designs 700 HO motors. It currently has the stock EVX2 ESC.

Well, all I really know is brushless, I've never had a good brushed setup (except my old Sunmit, but I left it stock with the Titan 775 motor.)

Is there a better ESC option for these motors? The EVX2 gets hot and goes into thermal protection after 10 minutes of running if it's over 80* outside. And no LVC. I know I could wire in a SmartStop or keep using my alarm, but I'd like a more powerful ESC with a built in LVC.
    ERBE Summit E-Slayer
    EMBE
    Rustler
    P4DE Sl4sh

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Brushed esc for dual motors with a built-in LVC? No chance.

To be honest though, there are very few options:

HPI GT550 esc ( equal to the old EVX )
    Novak Superduty XR ( same spec seemingly as the EVX2, but requires a little extra work to run 2 motors in parallel ).

A dirty great big fan on the evx2 should help a little, but bare in mind that each 700ho motor is equal to 2x 550 21turn titans pretty much, so you are asking your esc to run what amounts to 4 stock motors, in terms of current draw > toasty.

I would consider either getting another evx2 and running one 700ho per esc ( v-twin setup basically, but with brushed motors and 4 batteries ), or the next best option is to grab the MMM and run it in brushed motor mode- will easily handle the two 700hos in either standard wiring mode or high-power forwards/ brake only mode...
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Qualifier
    Using an MMM sounds like a decent idea, but if I'm tossing my spare MMM in, I may as well toss in my spare 1515 motor in lol.

I am impressed with the 700HO's. A lot more power than I expected from brushed. But then again, I guess these are some of the baddest brushed motors out there. The truck almost keeps up with my ERBE on 4s.
    ERBE Summit E-Slayer
    EMBE
    Rustler
    P4DE Sl4sh