I'm ready to make the switch to LiPos. Finally have some hobby money set aside. Currently have an MRC Super Brain 977 dual charger and a Dynamite Vision LED charger. The MRC supposedly can do LiPos, but has no balancer. The Vision just doesn't have enough features for me anymore, even for just my NiMH packs. Just ordered (2) SPC 2s 5000 mAh 25C batteries.
I want to buy a quality balancing LiPo charger. I know pave swears by the Dynamite Passport Ultra charger and I almost hit the order button, but the one feature I would miss is the ability of my MRC to charge two packs simultaneously. Before I hit order, I saw the Hitec X2 Ultima Dual 200W charger... capable of charging two packs independently at up to 10A each. Could use some expert advice on whether the X2 is worth the extra $ and hassle. (X2 Ultima is $15 more than the Passport Ultra without a power supply).
- X2 Ultima is DC only, 2 channels w/ 10A each, 2 yr warranty...
- If I buy X2 Ultima, can I use the extra 620W computer power supply I have lying around to power it? It has (2) 12VDC rails, capable of 20A and 18A each. 400W works out to just over 33A at 12VDC. Or would I have to swap for the other power supply out of my main computer, which has 60A on a single 12VDC rail? Otherwise, need a 400W minimum RC dedicated power supply... any recommendations?
- Passport Ultra is single channel, max 8A, AC power, 5 yr warranty
- Features the X2 Ultima has that the Passport Ultra doesn't: Lithium charging has 3 modes (Fast charge, balance charge, storage charge), 10 presets (Passport only remembers last settings), charge 2 batteries at same time, USB port to charge a cell phone, etc , usb connection to connect to computer for charge monitoring software
- Both can cycle NiMH batteries (charge/discharge at least 5 consecutive times)
- I plan to use mostly 2s 5000 mAh batteries... may at some point also buy as 3S 5000 mAh batt for my Slash... so 8A is plenty and 10A is overkill... but then who knows if a year from now I might decide to buy a new ESC/motor or capable of 4S - 6S...
- For either charger, is it safe to charge at 5A (1C) while connected using a Traxxas-to-Molex adapter? Or do I need to buy/make a dedicated Traxxas connector?
- Do I need LiPo charging bags for safety?
Any feedback would be appreciated!