RC poster

Is a Dynamite fuze 5800kv a good choice for the rusty? Need opinions

Just as title says is the dynamite fuze 5800kv motor esc combo any good,and any good in a rustler?I have read good and bad things about it in general,,just wanting more opinions on this to determine whether or not its for me or not,im just wanting something low maintinence,quick,can do wheelies and not get really hot..Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I would go with a lower kv motor personally. Even if used strictly on road I think you might have heat issues. A lower kv motor also has more torque which equals more wheelies if that's what you're after. They can also be geared higher for speed.
    I don't have shelf queens, I have bash kings!

I have had no first hand experience with them but I know the hobby shop my son works at has had numerous problems with those systems. Lot of programing issues.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

I had one and only last about 3 runs. You get what you play for. The motor is great but not the Esc. Maybe the motor was too high but it even ran hit on the velineon.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Champion
    Most local Hobby shops push that brand. . . They keep saying they are made by Castle so it's a good brand . . . But I have heard about many issues with them and a friend of mine I think has that same KV motor and he got the program card but it still has heat issues and just doesn't seem all that great. . I think if I were going to get a brushless and save money I would get some tacon motor and ESC.

RC Champion
    yep tacon are the way forward for good value and performance but if you have a little extra cash to blow look into the castle 3800 sct combo
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    Gotta' agree with VXL on this one. An acquaintance of mine has a Tacon motor and says he has great success with it other than being extra careful with temps, he's happy. But 5700kv would not be a good choice for a Rustler. More suited to a 1/16 road racer IMHO.
    Last edited by shagnat; 09-23-2011 at 09:34 AM.
    Ever Evolving Rustler

RC Qualifier
    I have the 6800 Fuze system in my Rustler. It has insane power, but gets really hot. I am currently running 90/14 gearing, GH aluminum tranny, soft timing and esc fan. It wheelies on demand, but, on 3s I have to take breaks for cool down every 10 minutes or so. Horizon Hobbies is who makes the Dynamite systems. The esc has given me no problems, but I do plan on changing out the motor for the SCT 3000kv eventually. I hate having to fight the heat issues.
    Nitro Rustler, Rustler HW Brushless Motor, ESC

Try running a 2s lipo and gear up a bit you shouldn't have heat issues.

RC Champion
    well with a 6800 I reckon even if he runs 12/90 he'll be over geared and he can't go any lower than that
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    I am changing to 12/90 tonight.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    A new motor will be a whole new world for you! LOL.
    I don't have shelf queens, I have bash kings!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMcGill View Post
    I am changing to 12/90 tonight.
    Ouch the is no reason you should have to be gearing like that. Cut your losses and sell the motor you have and buy a castle system or something else. Anything.

RC Champion
    ^^^^^^ yup, what he said.
    Ever Evolving Rustler

RC Qualifier
    I plan on buying a smaller motor when this one goes. Right now it is fine and has tons of power.

RC Champion
    can imagine, what lead you to buying it was it when you were a little new to this and you thought that more was best?
    don't worry i think we've all been there
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

For the rustler on 2s ill stick with the velineon motor but might switch to a better esc like from castle. How does the 4pole 3900kv compare to the power of the velineon?

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    For the rustler on 2s ill stick with the velineon motor but might switch to a better esc like from castle. How does the 4pole 3900kv compare to the power of the velineon?
    I have my 3800 de-tuned via Castle Link and it is still a handful to control. The 3800 just has more torque than a 2wd Stadium truck could ever handle. IMO the 3800 would be terrible for use on a track but it is an absolute blast ha a have fun bashing motor for the Rusty.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by The VXL View Post
    can imagine, what lead you to buying it was it when you were a little new to this and you thought that more was best?
    don't worry i think we've all been there
    My xl5 esc went out and I went to my LHS to pick up the velinion system, but the guy there talked me into this one. It was my first electric and I just didn't know any better. It is kind of fun trying to contain it though. Quite a challenge with the power and heat.

RC Qualifier
    Short video I took today with my cell phone. Dynamite Fuze esc and 6800kv bl motor. 90/12 gearing on SPC 4700mah 3s.
    http://youtu.be/mrLFKaJN9XI

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I have my 3800 de-tuned via Castle Link and it is still a handful to control. The 3800 just has more torque than a 2wd Stadium truck could ever handle. IMO the 3800 would be terrible for use on a track but it is an absolute blast ha a have fun bashing motor for the Rusty.
    OK so the 3800 is a beast. Now how big is that motor.compare to.the velineon? I was looking at the duratrax element motor which is make by castle and is a 4 pole setup and I think its 3900kv and that motor is no larger then the original Mamba Max motors.

RC poster
    Ok well i appreciate all the input guys,i basically inherited the dynamite 5800kv combo last night,but i am running a stock 86t spur and a 19t pinion,i would like it a little more tourqe'y from a take off so i went and bought the robinson racing 6pack pinion gear set,but am sticking with the stock 86t spur,which of the 6 pinions would you guys suggest? it has a 15t,17t,19t,21t,23t & 25t..I know the dynamite combo isn't that great but i'll drive it till it dies then it's castle time! ;-)
    Thanks again for any input!!

RC Champion
    More from take off I would say the 19 would be perfect for that motor. You could go s little bigger and be replacing it with the castle motor faster but monitor the temps if you want it to last. Also do you already have a alum tranny?

RC poster
    Ok sweet,i may try the 21t pinion and just keep an eye on the temp. No aluminum trans yet,was looking at the integy 1,is it any good?
    Last edited by Jzo6etr; 09-24-2011 at 08:43 PM.

RC poster
    tryed the 21t pinion mated with the stock 86t spur and seems to be a little bit quicker off the line..I currently am just runing dual Traxxas mini series 1 batts with the series connector...i need lipos really bad..Does anyone know what the voltage would be with runung those 2 mini series batts?

Lol mini series battery...the ones from a 1/16 traxxas? If in parallel then it's just double the capacity while voltage should be 7.2. IMO those battery do not produce the power that a hungry 1/10 brushless...especially a 5800kv requires and that could be the cause of the heat issues eventhough the motor still runs. SPC or Gen Ace lipos are cheap and have great batteries.

RC poster
    Ya the mini series..lol..I know,other than that all I have is an onyx 1800 but it runs even slower on it..I was looking at the "*****" ********* lipos..and one of there chargers,they seem to get pretty good reviews..idk I'm on a budget so ill check out those 2 you recommended aswell

This post has been edited to remove the name of a banned website. Please do not mention that website in the future

Dadx2mj
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 09-25-2011 at 08:18 PM.