RC poster

Upgrades to the Stampede XL-5??

Hi I just got the stampede xl5 over the 4x4 vxl becuase of the price so i was wondering if there are any upgrades people made to them? Here is a few i thought would be nice

-Brushless System(which one also would mamba monster work?)
    -Bearings over bushings(my hobby dealer told me that the wheels have bushings instead of bearings is that true)
    -Battery(i got a 5100mah today but what is the best battery to buy that could give more power and last longer?
    -Bodies(Anyone have cool websites for a bunch of bodies for traxxas models.)
    -Aluminum parts what is necessary?
    -Shock guards on a xl5?

Let me know what you know

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    - Castle Sidewinder/ 3800kv combo ( need field program card or castle link, to make changes to ESC)
    - Replace all the wheel bushings to bearings
    - LIPO if you move to the brushless system above ( recommend SPC or Gens Ace )
    - Google: Parma, JConcepts, Proline all offer bodies of choice
    - Aluminum: carriers, c-blocks, bulkhead, tranny case, Traxxas big bore shocks ( Traxxas, STRC, FLM, REM )
    - RPM makes shock gaurds
    - A-Arms either RPM or Proline ProTrac kit

Whatever you do stay away from Integy, only a few things would be recommended from them. Ask around. Hope this gets you started.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    For brushless - castle sidewinder sv2 system or Traxxas velineon system
    Bearings replacing bushings - yes this is true, it comes with bushings and u should upgrade to bearings
    Battery - the most consistent power and best runtime will come from lipo batteries. If your stampedes manual says that it's xl-5 esc has low voltage cutoff, then you can run 2s lipos with ur current system and have long runtimes and consistent power throughout the whole pack. Forum members here say Spc is a great priced lipo and is very good quality. You will need to get a charger for lipos as well. If you wanna stay with nimh packs then go with promatch brand packs cuz they are one of the best available. You should also upgrade your nimh charger so you don't have to wait 4 hours for the pack to charge.
    Bodies - proline and Parma have quite a few bodies for the stampede.
    Aluminum upgrades - Traxxas aluminum front c blocks and bearing carriers is a good start, then get the rear bearing carriers. Traxxas ones are great cuz they are well made and come with all the bearings included, which you're gonna need anyways.
    Shock guards aren't really needed IMO. I've never ran them and have never had any problems.
    Get yourself an rpm front bumper for the slash. It will help prevent front end damage upon impacts.
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

^^^ Great minds think alike!!!!
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Darn digger and his fast fingers! Lol.

Mntraxxasracing: do a search in this forum for "xl-5 upgrades" or "stampede upgrades" or some variations of the two, and you will find vast amounts of info that will answer any and all the questions you have. If there is something that you can't seem to find, then feel free to ask your new question in this same thread, and we will be happy to help out. Welcome to the forum!

Excellent choice going with the Pede! You'll love it!

Oh yeah, and an upgrade you will want to consider if you go with a brushless system, is a 2.4ghz transmitter and receiver, cuz with brushless the am radio gets real twitchy and likes spazzing out with no regard for transmitter commands.
    Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 08-15-2011 at 10:18 PM.
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

^^^ ...and a good recommendation on that Tx/Rx would be a FlySky in the $20 - $35 range or you can sometimes find in the Traxxas Market Place or ebay a Traxxas 2.4 ghz in the $40 area. Just a heads up if you go brushless.

<---Welcomes you to the forum......great little truck there!! One of my favorites.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC poster
    Also is the power up trade program traxxas has a a good deals

I think its $135 if my memory serves me right. You can mail it in or do it at you LHS more than likely. Ebay and the Traxxas Market Place sometimes has them for $100 or less for the whole system. Which is a good deal too.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by mntraxxasracing View Post
    Also is the power up trade program traxxas has a a good deals
    Its a good idea but the prices just aren't right. I believe for the power up price it is pretty much the same as the castle sct system, plus you have to send in your current set up. My suggestion is to buy the sct combo and either hold on to your current brushed motor and esc or sell them on the MP or the bay.
    I don't have shelf queens, I have bash kings!

^^^ I totally recommend the Castle SCT system.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I agree about the power up system. You can buy a new VXL system taken out of a new truck from someone or on e-bay for less than the power up program would charge and youd get to KEEP your stock system as a back up or to sell and recoup some of the costs. If the power up program cost $100... it would be a good deal, but at $135 you overpaying by about $40 or so after you sell your stock parts.

RC poster
    So how much will it be for a brushless system for the trade up

RC Qualifier
    Like the guys said...the brushless system with the trade up program would cost you your current brushed system and $135. Definitely smarter to keep your current system and buy the Castle Creations 3800kv combo.

RC Qualifier
    The best initial upgrades you can do would be aluminum caster blocks, RPM bumper, and stainless steel bearings. I recommend the stainless steel bearings if you plan to run in water and snow. The aluminum caster blocks will keep you from bending king pins. Other than that brushless is entirely up to you, but if you want to run in the winter I'd just keep it brushed, since brushless isn't going to do you a much good in 2 to 3" of snow. The XL-5 ESC is 100% waterproof, whereas the Velineon is not.