RC Racer

Massivly Upgrading My Merv

Ok, Basically, I'm going to go as all out as possible and Maximize what I can get out of my Merv while still staying on the stock Motor/ESC , I've currently compiled a few items that I'm going to purchase, I'd love input on whether or not they are good buys, and what else should be upgraded.

RPM Front A Arms
    RPM Rear A Arms
    RPM Front Bumper
    RPM Rear Bumper
    Aluminum Toe Links WANT TO FIND THESE IN BLUE IF POSSIBLE! (If someone knows of a link please post it=])
    Aluminum Pushrod Same as above, want In Blue.

Also wanting to get knuckles etc, just need advice on what people have tried, what works the best etc, thanks in advance for the input.

~RevoRoughin
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 07-30-2011 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Language

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think GPM has them in blue, red, SS, also donīt get aluminum get steel, also their knuckles are great, I would add the gpm steel center shaft, T-bone front bumper or full skid plate with bumper. Links are not permitted anymore.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    I think GPM has them in blue, red, SS, also donīt get aluminum get steel, also their knuckles are great, I would add the gpm steel center shaft, T-bone front bumper or full skid plate with bumper. Links are not permitted anymore.
    mind pming me or hyperlinking them then? unless hyperlinking is against rules as well, in which case ill remove mine, and they should remove the button >.<

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    posting links to manufacturers other than traxxas is not allowed

get gpm knuckles, they come in many colors, blue included

you can get blue push/toe rods BUT i wouldn't mess with aluminum, it isn't as strong as the stainless steel gpm rods that i run....
    you will need an extra set of ends though, as all the aftermarket manufacturers have ends that do snap on abuse

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    posting links to manufacturers other than traxxas is not allowed

get gpm knuckles, they come in many colors, blue included

you can get blue push/toe rods BUT i wouldn't mess with aluminum, it isn't as strong as the stainless steel gpm rods that i run....
    you will need an extra set of ends though, as all the aftermarket manufacturers have ends that do snap on abuse

thanks, will be looking into steel instead then, also curious, does anyone know if the sway bar kit works? Hate the barrel rolling around corners, ive yet to go offroad (no tracks near by), so im mainly grass/concrete, going to buy the rpm arms and the tie rods etc now, as well as a steel drive shaft i found, if anyone can think of any upgrades that will make it last longer please shoot the ideas my way, if ya have to pm me links that would be great =]

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    the swaybar is supposed to be decent, but it will limit travel.... since i drive everywhere, i am deciding against it

RC Racer
    the swaybar is supposed to be decent, but it will limit travel.... since i drive everywhere, i am deciding against it
    okay thanks, Ive decided on quite a few upgrades, found steel tie rods, the RPM arms, and a steel drive shaft, only reason im upgrading so much is to hopefully prevent breakage...bought my first lipos and thats what started this whole ordeal, ended up killing the diff with just one pack...thought it was a 1s i bought, turned out the be a 3s, was only running one and it still seems to have torn the car up so going to try and sell it and buy some 2s's, its a venom 11.1v, 3s, 20c continuous, 30c burst pack, if seems to have destroyed a few of the drive train parts =\

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    not a fan of venom packs....

but a 1s? your rc wouldn't even run on that.....

2s or 3s is common, i run 4s, but am using a mamba max pro esc -- surprisingly, no driveshaft issues, and htere are no good replacements either....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The only issue I have with venom 3s it that the 1300mah last less than 15min, full throtle, still havenīt break anything.

RC Racer
    not a fan of venom packs....

but a 1s? your rc wouldn't even run on that.....

2s or 3s is common, i run 4s, but am using a mamba max pro esc -- surprisingly, no driveshaft issues, and htere are no good replacements either....
    oh wow lol, im running all stock gear except ive got dirt hawg II on pro line beaded rims, i really dont abuse the car that much, curious if it was just my driving style or what that messed up the front diff, or if its traxxas idk, thanks for the input, im considering buying a few 2s packs someone found, they are 2200mh, 50c 90c burst, any ideas?

RC Qualifier
    I've tried all aftermarket center driveshafts and all have been a huge waste of money, as most have jammed in the chassis at speed and stripped the diffs and tranny gears. Here's some sad stories http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-A-little-Rant!

RC Qualifier
    I have blue toe links and push rods from
    The toyz website their nice

RC Racer
    Well okay thanks for that bit of info, guess I'll just be getting the tie rods and toe links, as well as the tbone skidplate/front/rear bumpers, and possibly the knuckles.

RC Racer
    Get some ***** 2s 2200mah 40C from HK. I charge mine up to 2400mah. They are like 10$ a pack.
    I think there is not need for front/ rear bumpers since you got the t-bone skidplate, you already have full protection.. unless you want a nice looking but i would keep the stock bumpers.

add to your list: cheap upgrade
    -4x7x2.5 rubber bearing for replacing the plastic brushes into the rocker's (shocks) for smooth suspension You need 8, you can find it cheap on ebay
    -4x8x2.5 rubber bearing for replacing the plastic brushes in the Steering Bellcrank for smooth steering you need 2

as the knuckles, the RPM works nice but they pop off if you hit something.. it can be fix by hand but i would try some aluminum knuckles

Later you'll need: Traxxas steel CVD because the plastic i'll break sometime no matter what
    Last edited by JonasRafael; 07-31-2011 at 06:16 AM.
    MERV

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by JonasRafael View Post
    Get some ***** 2s 2200mah 40C from HK. I charge mine up to 2400mah. They are like 10$ a pack.
    I think there is not need for front/ rear bumpers since you got the t-bone skidplate, you already have full protection.. unless you want a nice looking but i would keep the stock bumpers.

-4x7x2.5 rubber bearing for replacing the plastic brushes into the rocker's (shocks) for smooth suspension You need 8, you can find it cheap on ebay
    -4x8x2.5 rubber bearing for replacing the plastic brushes in the Steering Bellcrank for smooth steering you need 2

as the knuckles, the RPM works nice but they pop off if you hit something.. it can be fix by hand but i would try some aluminum knuckles

Later you'll need: Traxxas steel CVD because the plastic i'll break sometime no matter what
    thanks for all the great info, I'll be sure to pick up those bearings for the steering/suspension, and i was looking into the CVD, and okay aluminum it is, ive just been getting mixed reviews over aluminum parts.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RevoRoughin View Post
    oh wow lol, im running all stock gear except ive got dirt hawg II on pro line beaded rims, i really dont abuse the car that much, curious if it was just my driving style or what that messed up the front diff, or if its traxxas idk, thanks for the input, im considering buying a few 2s packs someone found, they are 2200mh, 50c 90c burst, any ideas?
    I run the same tired/wheels set up as you. At high speeds they put a lot of stress on your axle carriers servo, etc., if you drive 'em on asphalt.

RC Racer
    Ah ok, less strain while on grass/dirt? Should I gear down for them? Currently running 23t.

RC Racer

on the bell crank bearings traxxas told me to use TRA5114 5X8X2.5 and you have the 4X8X2.5. I dont know which ones to buy. Do you have these in your merv? i just don't want to order the wrong ones.

RC Racer
    Ok guys, should I get 2200mah ***** 2s's, or 2200mah ******* **** tech 2s's, ******* is 20-50c, ***** is 20-40c

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kelkel2ooo View Post
    on the bell crank bearings traxxas told me to use TRA5114 5X8X2.5 and you have the 4X8X2.5. I dont know which ones to buy. Do you have these in your merv? i just don't want to order the wrong ones.
    YES, YOU'RE RIGHT. It's 5x8x2.5.. sorry my bad
    MERV

RC Racer
    thanks for all the great info, I'll be sure to pick up those bearings for the steering/suspension, and i was looking into the CVD, and okay aluminum it is, ive just been getting mixed reviews over aluminum parts.
    Correction:

-4x7x2.5 bearing for rocker's (8)
    -5x8x2.5 bearing for Steering Bellcrank (2)
    MERV

RC Racer
    Correction:

-4x7x2.5 bearing for rocker's (8)
    -5x8x2.5 bearing for Steering Bellcrank (2)
    Thanks  now tovorder all the parts and figure out my next lipos

RC Racer
    YES, YOU'RE RIGHT. It's 5x8x2.5.. sorry my bad
    i just wanted to make sure before i ordered them. thanks for letting me know.

RC Racer
    Anyone know a light set that looks nice on the Merv that plugs into the Reciever box for power? I'd rather have it draw power from there than buying multiple 9v's and i need it because i drive at night =X

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i will be gettign some of the **** techs when i get back to the state

RC Enthusiast
    I run the ******* 2200 2s (parallel, not series), they seem to work well. That is, they manage to strip something on each run, so I guess they're "sufficiently powerful" ;o)

RC Racer
    Anyone know a light set that looks nice on the Merv that plugs into the Reciever box for power? I'd rather have it draw power from there than buying multiple 9v's and i need it because i drive at night =X
    I wired up my own with an led set I found on ebay. I just got a receiver plug and soldered it into the light circuit. i actually have an extra connector in the line so I can remove the body (which the lights are attached to) Check out "rclighthouse" on ebay. He also has a website by the same name.