RC poster

Exclamation Slash 4x4 vxl upgrades

What upgrades do you recommend me to my TRAXXAS SLASH 4x4 VXL? I just want to make it better for racing. Thank you

RC Racer
    I've bought the Castle Cration Sidewinder SCT combo (motor and ESC) and I'm looking to get some better driveshafts - the stock ones causes problems. Also, get some Lipo batteries. That would be a great start.

RC poster
    Thank you. A friend told me that an aluminum chassis would help, is it true?.........does any one has more ideas???

RC Racer
    Don't think you can get an alu chassis but you can get lots of alu parts. I have the traxxas alu motor holder and alu front and rear shock towers. They are all very nice, and I like how they stiffen up the chassis. It adds to the weight though.

Apart from getting some better driveshafts I'll keep the rest in plastic/nylon. It weighs less, costs less to replace and is more flexible when crashing.

RC poster
    But are they expensive?? I'm 13 and I don't have too much money to make the most expensive upgrades. The most I can spend are $150-180

RC Racer
    You can find the names and part# for the Traxxas alu upgrade parts for your car on the Traxxas website. Look under your car and then press "Accessories" and also "Additional". On buy.traxxas.com you can get an idea what the parts cost.

And yes, they are many times more expensive than the plastic parts.

Actually, if you have the Traxxas VXL already you can use that fine for starters. I think it's a pretty ok combo, and it's very nice that it's waterproof so it's easy to service.

I'd go for 2s LiPo batteries and a charger if I were you. And then upgrade from there. I'd probably start with the driveshafts as I think that's one of the biggest issues with my Slash 4x4. I haven't myself decided if I'm getting the MIP X-Duty or the Tekno RC M6.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-14-2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: merge

RC poster
    I already got a lipo battery and a charger...Thank you for your comments

RC Enthusiast
    Like Gumleguf said, I would start with the CVD's. The stock ones will start to bind up right away and you will have to spend a lot of time cleaning them to keep them working properly. Also the stock springs are way too soft. Check out Losi springs or replace the whole shock assembly for better handling.

RC Qualifier
    I wouldn't worry so much about the CVD's unless you're running 3S...I've been running mine for a few months with no issues with the stock drive shafts.

You'd be much better off spending that $100 on a pair of good shocks like Losi Ten or Hyper 10SC. You'll see a much bigger improvement in the truck for the money spent.
    Last edited by Teknic; 06-13-2011 at 09:35 PM.

RC poster
    That's right I was looking for good springs. I went to practice today and my rear right shock came off. I fixed it but I would like to buy another kind of spring. Does the color has any issue with it?

RC Racer
    Yea I would hold off on cvds. I have been running my stock axles for at least 6 months and thats with a Novak 4.5 550 ballistic motor. Shocks are good and I would start with the Traxxas big bores. They are quite a bit better than stock, and not real pricey. Also for the track, maybe a better set of tires and rims? Also KHZ motor mount.
    Traxxas Slash 4x4
    Traxxas Slash 2x4
    Stampede 4x4

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Teknic View Post
    I wouldn't worry so much about the CVD's unless you're running 3S...I've been running mine for a few months with no issues with the stock drive shafts.

You'd be much better off spending that $100 on a pair of good shocks like Losi Ten or Hyper 10SC. You'll see a much bigger improvement in the truck for the money spent.
    Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzqmKoj2yc8

My 4x4 Ultimate suffer from this exact problem after each and every run. I almost loose the suspension entirely once I've finished my second battery. To me this is a major problem, and takes at least an hour to fix/clean after bashing.

I'm not saying that the stock CVD's are too weak and will break, I'm saying that they are poorly designed because they let so much dirt in!

So, maybe you are looking at better CVD's and some Traxxas Big Bores (you don't just want new springs - you want new shocks)? The options are endless...
    Last edited by gumleguf; 06-14-2011 at 01:33 AM.

RC poster
    I havent yet gone lipo, but the upgrades ive made so far to my slash 4x4 made alot of difference. Ive changed the rear diff for a center diff & also put sway bars on too. Its a bit more tail happy, harder to roll & more fun to drive! I have also gone down the RPM route replacing anything I break with their parts.

RC poster
    Does any one can link me a place where I can find those shocks please. I was pracing at a raceway and my truck was very good but I would like to buy the aluminum chassis to more stability in the air and also it could go faster right?

RC Enthusiast
    I recommend getting some proline shocks and tires best suited for your track. With proline shocks and assorted spring pack (optional) you can do significant tuning to your trucks handling capabilities. You can adjust for terrain and tighter tracks for cornering. In regards to tires, do some research. Go to your track and see what the faster guys are using.

As far as RPM stuff, I just use them for durability. It offers very minor improvement to overall performance. But with racing consistency is key.

RC Qualifier
    ok I have posted this before so here it is again. I have been running stock shafts for ever even with MMM 2650 kit on 3s batteries. After some time I just swap sides on the rears to get more time out of them. Alot cheaper than mips and others out there. Also if you take my idea and do this it will save you some headaches in cleaning them to keep them running smoothly. Thes are shock boots from a Jato with 1/4 inch cut off of the small end. the top lip of the boot has a thick ring built in and holds very nicley to the shaft. I have never had one come off or tear. This is by far the best mod I have done and it works flawlessly.
    Slash 4x4 ultimate MMM 2650

RC Racer
    Is it possible to buy JUST the Jato shock boots (part#)? You are using the stock Slash driveshafts?

EDIT: Is it these?: http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....oducts_id=2374

Could you link to your mod thread so I'm sure I understand how you did it?
    Last edited by gumleguf; 06-17-2011 at 03:46 AM.

RC Racer
    Think I found your thread: http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ght=jato+boots

Very clever mod. Trying to decide if I should do this or buy Tekno's.

RC Racer
    For 3 bucks a pair, I'm going to go ahead and get two sets and have them ready for my Slash's arrival on the 21st.

rjames, I'm a little confused though. In the above post you mentioned cutting 1/4" off but in the older thread you said 1/2". Which one is it? thx

Edit: BTW, ebay seller "themiterman" has these for $3.91 shipped.
    Last edited by hailjack; 06-17-2011 at 08:29 AM.

RC poster
    does anyone can link me where can I buy an aluminum chassis for my slash 4x4????

RC Racer
    Alu chassis doesn't exist for the Slash 4x4.

RC Qualifier
    There Is an aluminum chassis for the slash 4x4 Made by ssc it's an lcg chassis google it shining star chassis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    does any other aluminum chassis fits to it?????

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hailjack View Post
    For 3 bucks a pair, I'm going to go ahead and get two sets and have them ready for my Slash's arrival on the 21st.

rjames, I'm a little confused though. In the above post you mentioned cutting 1/4" off but in the older thread you said 1/2". Which one is it?

Edit: BTW, ebay seller "themiterman" has these for $3.91 shipped.
    1/4-1/2 either would work. Or you could even leave them full length, they will work either way.
    Slash 4x4 ultimate MMM 2650

RC Qualifier
    Big Bore shocks, 3s lipo battery's, a better servo (hi-tech or savox) and a cooling fan

RC Qualifier
    And lots of Rpm parts and stuff like that

RC Qualifier
    Oh and have fun

RC Racer
    Just curious at $155. Why in the world would someone want an aluminum chassis?
    Slash 4x4
    MMM 2650
    Rustler VXL
    Emaxx

Quote Originally Posted by rustico739 View Post
    I fixed it but I would like to buy another kind of spring. Does the color has any issue with it?
    Most springs are rated by color. Either the whole spring is painted, or there is a color dot at the top of the spring. The dot is more stealthy so guys at the track don't know what you're running.

Sent from my Southwestern Bell rotary desk phone.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC poster
    The fact of the matter here is that the stock Slash is capable of running very respectable lap times. Even if you spend a grand on upgrades, you're not going to win until you learn how to cut a good lap. I started racing 3 weeks ago, turning consistent 40 sec laps at our local track. Last weekend I was running consistent 35 sec laps with a best lap of 34.082. The fast guys were turning 30's. My slash is bone stock so don't worry so much about upgrades. Spend your money on race entrance fees and get some experience first, then upgrade and enjoy standing in the winners circle.

RC Qualifier
    Spend the money on axles. After 4 runs my MIPs have paid for themselves

RC Champion
    The aluminum chassis is LCG that puts the weight to the bottom making it handle better. There is also one like I just picked up made of carbon fiber by Team RCE. The LCG chassis will make it more competitve with the likes of a LOSI that comes that way straight out of the box.