RC Enthusiast

Monster Energy Stampede

Hey all I just wanted to show off my Stampede. It was a legacy rustler to begin with and I converted it to an XL-5 Titan 12 Turn Stampede. I'm using 16/84 gearing, RPM bumper, wheelie bar, and gravedigger skidplates. Custom painted Rims and Springs, and custom painted Monster Energy 97 Ford F-150 Body. With help from Rusty4life.

enjoy drooling:

Monster Energy Stampede

lol. What up Med. Welcome to the Pede side. Well my friend, id say that we could do some drooling if you had some juice under there my friend. But that is hard to when its bone stock, and has very outdated tires. I do love your paint job however, and that u used the green dig pieces. That is very well done. But for us Pede guys to release any bit of liquid from any of our orphacis (spelling?) U gotta get some more going on under the hood than a pretty cool paint job Now its time to upgrade!!

heres a parts list

By the way. I highly recommend the Protrac Kit. Adds a world of stability, and is night and day difference to the stock suspension. I know a very few Rusty guys did it, But the majority of Pede uses are rocking it. It is awesome, and a great price also. Really not expensive at all. Ul see it a bunch around here. Check out the width of my Truck. Huge difference.

Welcome to the Dark SIdE! lol

RC Enthusiast
    I like the setup I have now, brushless on a 2x4 is no fun at all. I don't want to just do wheelies all day. If I had a brushless 4x4 setup then that would be nice. I like the RPM bumper I put on, its indestructible as far as I know. I'm looking for a race tire for my pede that will work well on a dusty track with medium sized jumps and pinpoint turns. I would like the Proline caliber super six tread but i dont think they make that in the stampede tire size. I'll probably do 3s or even 5s lipo at the most but anything more im getting 4x4. I have it geared very nicely. 16/84 so it has a lot of get up and go and can clear jumps at very short distances.
    Monster Energy Stampede

RC Enthusiast
    very nice!

RC Qualifier
    Clean paint job!
    1 extended pede
    1 stock length pede
    Summit

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by medwards29 View Post
    I like the setup I have now, brushless on a 2x4 is no fun at all. I don't want to just do wheelies all day. I'll probably do 3s or even 5s lipo at the most but anything more im getting 4x4. I have it geared very nicely. 16/84 so it has a lot of get up and go and can clear jumps at very short distances.
    Hey bud, welcome to the world of stampede. First off i gotta say that IMO brushless on 2x4 is nothing but fun, and if you set up ur truck to absorb the weight transfer and go higher gearing with the wheelie bar down, you can control the amount of wheelies ur truck does. The best way to control wheelies is be light on ur throttle, its all about throttle control and once u got that dialed in, then u could make wheelies a thing of the past. For sure a brushless system with the gearing u have now would be pretty snappy off the line, but you could go higher to about 19/83 and be good with temps as long as u keep an eye on them and arent running the truck through 5 inch grass for long periods. Also, that xl5 esc, if it is a newer one, then it will only handle 2s lipos and that will shorten its life, but if its an older one then you'll just fry it tryinto run lipos on it. Not sure what youre gonna try 3 and 5s lipos on, but even if you had an esc that could handle that much lipo, i dont think a brushed motor would take more than 30 seconds of either one before it met its untimely demise. 3s or 5s would have to be with a brushless motor to be able to make the amount of rpms involved. Not to mention that 3s and especially 5s is insane fast on any brushles system that could handle that much lipo. So if you think that brushless will make you wheelie all day, then just wait til you see a brushless setup on 5s!
    Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 06-12-2011 at 01:06 PM.
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Champion
    I like the idea, but the green needs to be brighter IMO. Glad your happy with it! Welcome to the forums!
    Everything overpowered...

RC Racer
    Here's a little math for ya bro...

Brushless + Throttle control / 2S Lipo = WINNING!

Brushless System $120.00 (Fuze Dynamite System)
    Cool Paint Job and Body $45.00
    ProTrac Kit and Wheels $95.00
    Not having downtime because the Titan 12T breaks = PRICELESS

Titan 12T + XL5 / 2s Lipo = Epic Fail
    Last edited by Arsenios; 06-12-2011 at 04:25 PM.
    Flying is easy, landing however....

RC Racer
    Do you have a link, brand, or part number for your body? I love it.
    Stampede VXL upgraded broken stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Mike 2.2 tire setup is bar far the cheapest with the most options, 2.8 current stampede wheel/tire combo is very limited with little to no options. you seen how my 2.2 gladiators hooked up You might want to check out the proline masher 2000's
    Race Rustler 18/84
    http://tinyurl.com/5u8ave

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I agree with the comments about brushless... a 2X4 is SUPER fun with too much power... the wheelies are just a part of it... the top speed is the BEST part.

The ONLY power system I know of that is both an appropriate size for these truck AND can handle 5S lipo is an MMP/2400 combo... anything else is generally 1/8 size and wont fit in a stock pede. The ONLY brushed power system I know of that will handle 3S lipo (and even come close to 5S) is the EVX2/titan 775 combo. I think it can be run on 4S? Is that true? Not sure... maybe thats 2 or 3S in parallel IF you have an LVA. The XL5/Titan CAN be run on 2S... works pretty good actually. But 3S is a who lot of NOT A CHANCE.

I really like your paint man... very well done. And I for one like the look of that truck with the old school chevron tires... it give it a very monster truck look.

Quote Originally Posted by medwards29 View Post
    I like the setup I have now, brushless on a 2x4 is no fun at all. I don't want to just do wheelies all day. If I had a brushless 4x4 setup then that would be nice. I like the RPM bumper I put on, its indestructible as far as I know. I'm looking for a race tire for my pede that will work well on a dusty track with medium sized jumps and pinpoint turns. I would like the Proline caliber super six tread but i dont think they make that in the stampede tire size. I'll probably do 3s or even 5s lipo at the most but anything more im getting 4x4. I have it geared very nicely. 16/84 so it has a lot of get up and go and can clear jumps at very short distances.
    Have u played with the brushless on the 2x4 my friend. U dont need some outrageous Lipo power. Even with Nimh its super fun. I mean like a lot of fun. I do alot of wheelies with a tighten slipper clutch, but dont if I dont want to. U can do as much wheelies as u want with brushed, but then u got all that top speed. Just dont throttle all the way. Like saying u dont want to much horsepower in your actual vehicle so u dont spin your tires and are actually able to go. Its the same thing my friend. U dont ever have to do a wheelie if u dont want. But.... on on road, wheelies are the best part for me. But as for offroad, I never do wheelies. I use throttle control, and have all that juice to eat up, up-hills and obstacles and such. Somewhere were brushed would be big time lagging. U talked about 3s or 5s than ud have to go 4wd. Thats alot. U dont need anywhere close to 5s. 3s people put on for high speed runs, and getting crazy. But 2s u got all that power consistantly, and its not out of control. Also, brushless is just so much less hassle. And less maintenence.

Your right on the RPM bumper. Its good. Especially compared to the stock one. There is the RPM slash bumper, that protects more along with the one I got. Just for the simple fact of the surface area.

As per tires, ya go with 2.2s ALOT more selection in both wheels, and tires. Check out Mashers, or trenchers. Both are really great tires.

But there is alot more to it my friend. I meant that because of your approach. There is a ton more. Such as the Alum in key places, RPM plastic in the right places, and the Protrac as mentioned above to eliminate suspension.

I love your start, and good job. Your truck looks cool. But remember not to close out anything else thats not on your rig currently, because there is a whole world out there that will take your truck to an entire new level of performance, durability, AND fun for "you" Thats most important. Thats all im sayn bro. Dont shut out the must have upgrades that make a huge diff until ya get to know em. Have an open mind in terms of advice, and experience from others, and be open to finding out what is all out there that would make your stampede even more fun.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsenios View Post
    Here's a little math for ya bro...

Brushless + Throttle control / 2S Lipo = WINNING!

Brushless System $120.00 (Fuze Dynamite System)
    Cool Paint Job and Body $45.00
    ProTrac Kit and Wheels $95.00
    Not having downtime because the Titan 12T breaks = PRICELESS

Titan 12T + XL5 / 2s Lipo = Epic Fail
    Very well put!!!

medwards: Throttle control + brushless = total excitement & less downtime. Beautiful truck, im digging the paint job btw.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    As i told him rpm suspension arms are a must,he is still running the old bushings if i remember correctly lol. As the one who got him started in this blame me to less money in his pocket, i think a castle creations 3600kv brushless setup would suit his needs quite well and there cheap.
    Race Rustler 18/84
    http://tinyurl.com/5u8ave

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    The ONLY power system I know of that is both an appropriate size for these truck AND can handle 5S lipo is an MMP/2400 combo... anything else is generally 1/8 size and wont fit in a stock pede.
    I'd have to respectfully disagree. There are a bunch of 5S capable combos that would fit in a Pede very well. Even the Velineon motor, when paired with an appropriate ESC, can handle 5S for brief runs.

Quote Originally Posted by pavementsurfer
    ...the EVX2/titan 775 combo. I think it can be run on 4S? Is that true?
    The EVX-2 can handle up to 16.8 volts, so 4S is fine.
    99%er

RC Enthusiast
    lol rusty the sad thing is im still running the old school parts with the new xl 5 system and im whooping up on ur new modded slash, lol. PWNAGE!!!
    Monster Energy Stampede

RC Champion
    Nice paint job Med.A few more mods and you should have one heck of a Pede(Brushless,Lipo, and Protrac)If you have the $$$ to do it. Keep up the good work

RC Enthusiast
    ok so i got two more 7 cell batteries in today with my gravedigger rear bumper. just waiting on a decent charger
    Monster Energy Stampede

RC Enthusiast
    haha update on this:
    long overdue.

Aluminum hubs, all ball bearings, new style transmission (black gravedigger), 16/90 gearing, 4th titan motor , new stampede tires, still running 27mhz.

REcently i tried a wheelie over a curb at about 15-20 mph and destroyed my truck lol. Bulkhead, chassis, shock (blowout), skidplate, high torque servo all damaged. So now I'm considering a slash conversion, but for now, another rusty lol.

Bring on the carnage

and it's current status
    Monster Energy Stampede

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Nice carnage man!!! Like the new updates. I see you are running Masher 2ks. How do you like them vs the other ones you had last yr? Thinking Monster Slash???

A good replacement are RPM A-arms over stock. You can also pick up aluminum shock caps to beef up those ultras. Another good thing is moving up to VXL camber links. There are many other upgrades to beef the truck up to.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Nice Update M I was looking at the dates from the initial posts and the fact that you still have the same lid from before is BEYOND ME, lol. I go thru them in a couple of months or so. Way to keep a good thing going. Btw, since your original posts, jconcepts came out with a race inspired tire called the subculture. 2.8 inch diameter, 5 inches tall and 2.3 or so wide. They come with closed cell foams and work great.

Here's a picture of them mounted on my truck. I'm a huge fan of the black and green, monster inspired paint scheme, too. It took a long time getting here - piece by piece, but I'll say im pretty happy with it overall. Keep up the good work.

RC Champion
    i find it amazing that after a year, you're still satisfied with the titan!?!?!? 4th titan...4X$20=$80...you could of bought an nice brushless system with that much money. anyhow nice truck tho. like @diggerpede said, you'll benefit alot with the green rpm arms and vxl links. maybe a slash front bumper
    Last edited by G-Rustler; 09-29-2012 at 06:26 PM.

RC Racer
    I hate it when that happens!! lol
    Very nice to see that I am not the only person that has 'older' stuff and it still works!(well till a curb shows up and all)

---BT
    Bit-Older and need to 'learn' more.

Nice man. But 4 Titans? Titans are not exactly reliable. If staying brushed, u can go with the Eletrifly s-600 motor. Similar to Titan in performance, ALOT more reliable, and only 16 bucks a pop.

Keep up the great work!
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaks View Post
    Nice Update M I was looking at the dates from the initial posts and the fact that you still have the same lid from before is BEYOND ME, lol. I go thru them in a couple of months or so. Way to keep a good thing going. Btw, since your original posts, jconcepts came out with a race inspired tire called the subculture. 2.8 inch diameter, 5 inches tall and 2.3 or so wide. They come with closed cell foams and work great.

Here's a picture of them mounted on my truck. I'm a huge fan of the black and green, monster inspired paint scheme, too. It took a long time getting here - piece by piece, but I'll say im pretty happy with it overall. Keep up the good work.
    That looks awesome! How did you get your body so low? Those tires look great also, are they good for dirt or asphalt?