RC Qualifier

opti-drive/throttle issue

Ive got a new revo 3.3 and have run only about a gallon through it. It runs amazing but I intermittently lose my brakes and throttle for a few seconds at a time. I noticed that the throttle is twitchy unless I plug it dirrectly into the reciever in which case it moves very smoothly. If that is the only thing I have removed from the opti-drive, will it be dangerous to still use reverse or should I install the foc kit? I am waiting on an inline fail safe at the moment. Any info would be a huge help!

RC Competitor
    My brother's Revo and my own had the same problem at the same time (1 gallon) and was the optidrive in both cases. You still can use reverse with the trhrottle connected directly to the receiver but you have to be very carefull not to engage the reverse when the truck is moving because you will destroy your tranny. Now you have two other options, FOC or a new optitrash.

RC Champion
    If you have the traxxas link it has a fail safe built in and dose not like add on fail safes.
    Cads, Insane RC, PWC,and BOAT CORNUCOPIA

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by insanity View Post
    If you have the traxxas link it has a fail safe built in and dose not like add on fail safes.
    i dont like the link failsafe. i prefer my ofna failsafe because it closes the servo all the way not just put it at 0 like the link fail safe, so mine actually stops instantly
    Hows that nitro taste on your electric?

RC Competitor
    Don't think anymore, throw the opticrap out! Out of the box, first run, full battery, completely studdering,glitching,and just shutting down.. I don't know WHY traxxas takes a great system and ruins it. :/ you'll be happier with it removed and FOC!

Edit: Haha oops, wasn't thinking right. Bleh it's not the failsafe!...hahahaa..still learning myself.. :P
    Last edited by insanity0x2; 05-19-2011 at 01:22 PM.
    Revo 3.3 FTW!!

RC Champion
    The opti drive is not the fail safe, the fail safe is built into the rx. I have to agree the link fail safe isn’t the best but it’s there. I like how my spectrum has a programmable fail safe built into the rx.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by insanity View Post
    The opti drive is not the fail safe, the fail safe is built into the rx. I have to agree the link fail safe isn’t the best but it’s there. I like how my spectrum has a programmable fail safe built into the rx.
    exactly why they are 200 bucks. You get what you pay for though so its worth it
    Hows that nitro taste on your electric?

RC Champion
    They are less expensive spektrum tx/rx you could have a set at around $110 $125 shipped from horizion. Like the DX3E tx and the sr300 rx.

RC Qualifier
    Okay then, I believe foc is the way I will go. After I install the ofna I should be able to completely remove the opti-drive, the shift servo and the unnecessary wiring correct? Can you buy a cover for the hole where the opti-drive went or is a bit of fab. in order?
    Revo MM CC2200
    Rusty MMP CC3800
    Merv SV2 CC5700

RC Champion
    The cover comes with the FOC and center diffs. What are you referring to as the ofna? If it’s a failsafe I am almost positive the traxxas link rx is not compatible with them.