Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RC Racer
    i just tested mine and it seems to be working fine, thanks tho any help is appriciated

RC Racer
    just tested it and it seems to be working fine thanks for the help tho any help is appriciated

RC Champion
    well ide try a new plug like powerman said..theres nothin wrong with it that cant be fixed thats for sure.. its all just a matter of findin the problem.. get a few pics of that thing up here for us to see. also did you you open ur throttle trim on ur controller??
    road rage its not just drivin its a blood sport

RC Racer
    yup opened the throttle and ill try a new glow plug, and also pictures of what on the car?

RC Champion
    everything.. theres somethin that caught my eye on the exhaust prolly nothin, try gettin the pics as close as possible

RC Champion
    Yes what powerman said! At this point, even if you think your plug is good, its a good idea to try a new one to make sure. I have had great luck with the stock traxxas plugs part # 3232x. Tuning for the warmer weather means leaning it out. When lean, you are at a much higher risk of burning up the plug. Trust me, I burned 3 up yesterday... lol Im in south east mass, about 80-85+ degrees and humid the past few days and I had lots of trouble too. As for tuning, just try what Nitro said. I think you have a bad plug or your too rich. Is the green glow plug light on the starter box bright? What kind of fuel & what % nitro? I gave up with my rusty for this week after the tuning/ glow plug issues on top of my glow heater stopped working. I got a glow heater coming by next weekend. Also it looks like you are priming too much witch can push more fuel in than the plug can handle. Let me know how you make out and if I think of anything else ill let you know.
    Yo nitro, we need you here....
    Shaggy...

RC Racer
    ok thanks and i think i may have found the problem i dont know why i never thought of it before but the blue wire that goes to the glow plug has a couple of the metal wires that are like cut, with the insulation ripped open and i just tested the glow plug again and noticed that the red goes birght then dies down, it isnt constantly bright. im really hoping thats the problem because i wont know what the problem is if thats not it.

RC Racer
    ill have to wait till tommorow to buy a new wire and glow plug since the closest rc store is closed and the local one doesnt sell rc stuff anymore. -.-

RC Champion
    or what you can do is get a glow ignitor and do away with the yellow and blue wire.. but first that blue wire is makin contact and thats all you really need for example when your vehicle is runnin you can disconnect that wire all together and it wont shut down.. alls it does is send a current from the starter to the plug to heat it up.. also can you get a pic on inside the carb with no throttle beein added to it, i just want to check and make sure that ur idel gap hasnt been closed while tryin to tune it.. shag man ty i really wish i wouldnt be leavin ive learned chit tons from all you guys and ill miss beein able to help ill pop on occasionally when im able to use my brothers pc its a bummer cuz i only have a few buddies back in michigan that run rcs so its not often conversation about them is brought up.. oh goon ridr if ur concernd about that blue wire another thing you can do is elec tape it up

RC Racer
    alright to you think that the glow plug pulsating has anything to do with it?

RC Champion
    Yup, probable time for a new one. Nitro is right about using a glow igniter. Ive used an ez starter and glow igniter for a while with no problem at all. However, a glow igniter cost more than a plug and a new wire harness and means you would have another battery to worry about. Good luck.
    Yeah Nitro, its good to have buddys with rcs. I can let my car collect dust and beat up my buddys stuff lol. Hope it all works out for you man.
    Shaggy...

RC Champion
    thanx bro.. me and the old lady are goin to give it a shot and see how it works with out.. keepin fingers crossed but not holdin my breath.. i personally think its alot easier with the igniter and ez start just cuz of no wirin, but pull start has turned out to be a good friend of mine LOL..plus with the glows i use the blue lead wire doesnt attatch anymore so i had to remove them cuz i strictly run mccoy mc9 and mc8's the head is more of a point so they dont work with leads

RC Racer
    lol im so confused on what you just said about the mccoy stuff but thats ok, so you would say that the pull start is better?

RC Champion
    oh dont worry about the mccoy stuff LOL there just a different brand of glow plugs that i use the part that connects to the blue wire isnt the same as a traxxas glow plug.. as for pull starts and ez starts they both have the pros and cons.. ez starts are convienent cuz theres no labor involved but they are heavy, pull starts are light but are very easy to break if you really pull to hard, plus i dont think anyone should use a pull start till you get ur tunin down or you will be doin alot of runnin around..

RC Racer
    oh yah definatley not planning on changing ANYTHING any time soon haha like you said not untill i can actually tune it right at least.

RC Racer
    hopefully thats soon lol.

RC Champion
    yea i hope so..LOL.. but ur deffinately keepin my mind sharp thats for sure LOLLLLLLLL im just playin. i hate seein a rustler down so we gotta get that thing back up

RC Racer
    lol alright, yah i really want to get it back up ill be getting a new glow plug tommorow so ill try that out and ill post a video again on how its going.

RC Racer
    oh and i know im pushing it on the questions but i went to shaggys site just to see what his cars were like and i noticed that they were all so clean. how do you guys clean them so good? lol

RC Champion
    well i like to clean mine by tearin it all apart almost completely apart..LOL... but alot of the guys like simple green, i like purple power but you really need to dilute it down or itll strip the finish off ur rims.. soapy water goes a long way another thing i use is throttle body and intake cleaner just dont spray the servos direct it wont hurt um just turns um grey it doesnt effect the rest of the plastics tho and melts away the dirt.. shaggy and powerman both have beautiful rcs my pic i have i only had my race body at the time
    http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/...1.jpg&newest=1

RC Racer
    alright i have some simple green so ill try that out,

RC Champion
    Not to knock your skills or anything but stay away from pull starts for now till you got the tuning down like nitro said. I been at this for years and I still break pull starts lol I love the Roto Starter (ill find some links later) however I would just stick with the ez for now till you are sure what you want. Its a good idea to save your cash for the other things that will break, cause they will break lol I love simple green! Also I would stock up on WD40. Its like duck tape, a million and one uses. A tooth brush will make life easier. Thanks for checking out my site. I still have alot of work to do to it and some more videos to put up there. I know your around Mass. Have you ever tried RC Hover's Hobby Shop in Mansfield MA? There kinda pricey but they know whats up and have lots of traxxas parts. Yeah thanks Nitro, we have some nasty rcs!
    Shaggy...

RC Racer
    nah never been to that one haha, i usually go to a place called rc excitment.

RC Racer
    oh and np, i know im a newbie when it comes to nitro lol

RC Racer
    i am so close to takeing my car and snapping it in half , ive worked on it 3 days straight now without any change in how its working i really dont get it i put in a new glow plug and wire and it wont work it starts up then dies, i leaned it a bunch tiny turns at a time and ive also richened it a bunch tiny turns at a time and it does the same thing every time. what else could be wrong with my car other than the glow plug? oh also when i was leaning it no matter how much i leaned the hsn there would always be a ton of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust when it started for those couple seconds. what could that be?

RC Racer
    im thinking about going to the hobby store and asking the guy to just help me find the problem if there is one or help me tune it and show me how, but ill feel like a idiot if i do.

RC Racer
    oh i just figured this out, im pretty sure its not good for the car at all but i found out that if im priming it really fast (like taking my finger on and off the exhaust really fast it will stay running without the ez starter.) but as soon as i take my finger off for like a miliisecond or keep it on the exhaust to long it will die, what could this mean?

RC Champion
    can you get a pic of down in the carb????? i want to see ur idle setup..

RC Racer
    sure ill do that right now i just took the cooling head off to ill take a picture of that to, in my opinion it doesnt look to great but i dont know to much about them

RC Racer
    [IMG]/Users/Guest/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2011/May 31, 2011/P1010306.JPG[/IMG]

this is just a test so if it doesnt work dont bother clicking on it, i doubt it will but what ever

RC Racer
    there we go tell me what you think a photo of the carb is in there idk which one, well gotta go clean up haha everythings apart out on the deck lol
    Last edited by goon rider; 05-31-2011 at 07:56 PM. Reason: didnt add enough info

RC Champion
    ok man after lookin real hard over that the carb is deffinately open enough to have a higher run idle i just listened to it again also when you were tryin to start it.. in my opinion i would take it to a LHS cuz you may need a new engine that piston is awefully burnt the compression on the motor may not be enough to keep it runnin.. ask ur local dealer if they do the traxxas trade in.. where you give them ur engine and they give you another 1 for a good amount of cash off.. hey it gives ya a chance to upgrade to a 3.3 or you could always do a rebuild but at the cost of it, its not much more to just buy a new motor, lookin at that makes me strongly say after run maintence is very important i dont remember if you said you bought it new or used.. good luck man dont get discouraged you were gunna have to do this eventually its a part of the hobby.. as a matter of fact its a fun part..

RC Racer
    oh ya haha i would have been more discouraged if that wasnt problem, when if first got it new a few years ago i never did any after run maintnence to it because i didnt know about it, i hope it is the engine so i can just start over baisically. should i uprgrade to 3.3 if i get the chance or just stick to the 2.5?

RC Champion
    Sorry I didnt get back to you sooner, its been crazy in my neck of the woods. That piston looks bad. You could try to clean out the motor for the heck of it. At this point if you mess anything up it don't matter, but this way you can learn about pull the motor apart and building it back up. Traxxas has a page witch tells you how to rebuild a motor but I can't find the link right now. Ill post it as soon as I find it. If you have no luck with a good cleaning, screw it & get the 3.3. You will love it. Ether way, keep me informed & good luck.
    Shaggy...

RC Racer
    alright im gonna go clean out my carb see if that helps at all haha.

RC Racer
    i thought this would be easy but idk how to get the carb out haha

RC Racer
    it seems like i cant get to the carbs screw to take it out unless i remove the engine? do you have to?

RC Racer
    do you have to remove the engine that is.

RC Champion
    No, you dont have to remove the motor to take the carb out, just losen the nut by the base of the carb 1/2 a turn and pull the crab straight out. Keep an eye on the o-rings and make sure they go back in right without scratching them. If the rings are bad just bring them to home depot and match them up. I would clean the piston too. You will need to pull the whole motor apart to do so. Im sorry but I do not have the time to walk you through this right now. Start by cleaning the carb real nice. Nitro gas works great to clean motor parts. Clean the One Way bearing(inside starter), starter shaft & clutch because it takes allot of abuse trying to start the dirty motor. Ill get back to you later tonight when I have time to walk you through it. Good luck for now.
    Shaggy...