Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Racer

whats wrong with my rustler?

Hi, my nitro rustler 2.5 was running fine last season tuned good and everything and then at the begining of this season it was running fine as normal, and then it started getting messed up. I went to start it with the ez starter and it would turn as normal but then when it got close to starting the car would stop turning and the ez starter would just spin. I can finally get it started by giving it little bursts from the ez starter and after the first time of starting it, when its warmed up it starts up fine but if it cools down ill have the problem again. I thought it was just something to do with the glow plug so i went out and got a new one but im still having the same problem. I checked the support section and cant find the answer so decided to ask on here. Thank you for helping if you can

RC Champion
    try cleanin ur one way bearin soak it in some alcohol for about 30 mins then once you put it back in (letterin facin out) pour about half a cap of some motor oil on it 10 w30 sounds like it needs to be cleaned or even replaced.. try that and let us know how it works.. if you could can you get a video of it so we can hear it the starter that is
    road rage its not just drivin its a blood sport

RC Champion
    I am 100% sure its the one way bearing. Traxxas says to clean them after every 1/2 gallon of fuel. If you don't have oil and alcohol, you can clean it with nitro fuel the same way and use after run oil to lube it. Make sure you also clean the starter shaft on the motor that the bearing slides on. Put a little alcohol or nitro on a rag and wipe it down. Q-tips work great to get into the little groves on the starter backplate. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
    Last edited by Shaggy101086; 05-15-2011 at 06:08 PM.
    Shaggy...

RC Racer
    alright thanks, im going to go clean it up and ill tell you guys how it works out.

RC Racer
    i just finished cleaning it and everything. i went to start it but it wouldnt turn at all so i think the problem is that i just need to charge the ez starters battery but i could have put the bearing back in wrong. Anyways ill tell you guys if its working good when i charge up the starter. thanks again!

RC Racer
    thank you very much guys my rusty starts like a charm now! but now its being stubborn when im trying to tune it cant sit for more than 30 seconds idleing so do i have to adjust the idle screw obviously im new to nitro rc cars but would like to get more expierience in it. if it is the idle screw and thats why im having trouble tuning where excactly is the idle screw lol. i cant find a diagram of it in the manual either. also how much do i adjust it thank you very much guys if there werent forums like this i would be lost!

RC Champion
    the idle screw sits on the back of the carb.. its the lil silver screw at the bottom.. but first you should reset ur HSN high speen needle and LSN low speed needle back to factory settins then tune for there remember first tune ur HSN then ur LSN then ur idle good luck and let us know how that helps ya out

RC Racer
    alright ive set them back a few times but when i lean or richen the hsn it always acts the same i dont get it.

RC Champion
    ok ima give you a crash course in tunin real quick so bear with me... ok first to reset back to factory settins close ur HSN meanin while the rustler is shut down turn ur HSN clockwise till you cant turn it no more, but DONT FORCE IT you can ruin the needle from there turn it 4 full turns counter clockwise... same goes with ur LSN except that after you close it you will only turn it 1 3/4 back counter clockwise the screw should be close to flush with the grey ring around the screw.. those are always a good startin point for ur tunin.. ok now to tune ur HSN after its runnin make sure when you tune you do it from a half tank meanin( from full to half) after that ur nitro will start richenin up so you wont be able to get a good readin of how it actually is.. now weather temps will determine how you are goin to tune.. the richer you tune it means the more fuel will be goin to the engine hence more nitro...the cooler the weather is the richer youll want to run it you will NEVER fully open or close ur needle most of ur tunin will be only inbetween just a couple turns.. the warmer obviously leaner the HSN ok once you no longer see any improvement in the performance ur finished with the HSN now to move onto the LSN pretty much the same way as the HSN only difference will be you wont adjust it as much.. the best way of checkin the LSN is the pinch test meanin pinch the fuel line between the tank and the carb.. it should run for 2-3 seconds speed up and die out... longer than 3 sec you need to lean the LSN shorter than 2-3 secs richen engine up... when you get those both where you want them then if needed adjust ur idle... i forgot to mention one thing when ur adjustin ur HSN and if it cuts out at take off dont worry thats ur LSN needin adjustment youll get to that just try to get up to high speed slowly.. no mashin the trigger.. that should get you up and goin...also now after you have been runnin ur engine for awhile its the coolin process is important on how it will perform next time you try to run it.. ALWAYS allow ur engine to cool with the piston at BDC bottom dead center as low in the piston sleeve as possible that will allow the sleeve to contract when coolin for best engine compression you can move the piston around by hand just use a flat head screw driver and rotate ur flywheel till the piston sits low.. next use after run oil a few drops of that on the piston head and it will lube the sleeve up so it wont seeze up next start if you dont have after run oil use WD40 a burst spray of 1-2 sec into the head down to the piston will work just fine.. good luck and let us know how it turns out for ya

RC Racer
    haha thank you very much again, ill definatley tell you how it works out.

RC Champion
    cool.. and good luck

RC Racer
    tuned good and everything thanks again for all your help. now its time for some little upgrade type things haha

RC Champion
    LOL glad we could help.. enjoy

RC Racer
    ugh, im having trouble again, what do you guys suggest i do if when i try to start my car it idles for 2 seconds and dies before i even have the chance to pull the trigger at all??

RC Champion
    Might be too rich. Is there alot of smoke coming out the pipe? Hows the glow plug look? Good luck
    Shaggy...

RC Racer
    Are you priming it up before you start? It could be a few things but if there is air in the fuel line it will do that. All you have to do is hold your finger over the exhaust for a few seconds while your cranking it over. You may already know this i dont know how new you are to nitro trucks? Hope this helps.
    KUBOTA BOB

RC Racer
    Also if you spray alot of wd40 in it after you run it, sum times i have to hold the throttle wide open for a little while when im crankn mine over to blow the wd40 out or after run oil.
    KUBOTA BOB

RC Champion
    lean out ur LSN a lil.. that should take care of it

RC Racer
    ive been going back to stock settings hundreds of times trying to get it tuned. i tryed leaning out my lsn and it made it worse so i richened it and that made it not die right away but after i richened it it started stuttering reving up high and low really fast and then it dies, ive tried adjusting LSN and HSN tons of times and nothings working. Its getting sort of frustrating now because i dont know what else to do.

RC Champion
    ok remember after you reset back to ur factory settins you have to adjust both ur HSN and LSN and you should always do ur LSN 2nd. the pinch test really is the best way of tellin if its to rich or to lean.. can you grab a video and post it of ur runs and how ur doin ur tunin and ill be glad to walk you through the process

RC Racer
    idk i might be able to post a video i probably wont tho but i cant test the high speed needle first because it dies without me even pulling the trigger so i cant tune it

RC Racer
    sorry for all the trouble tho

RC Racer
    oh wait do you think i already have the HSN tuned? because i just assumed you did, haha sorry if i mislead you but yah i dont have the HSN tuned yet because it wont run long enough for me to pull the trigger. i might go buy a new one way bearing because mines already messed up again and i really havnt been able to run the rc so it must be wearing out.

RC Champion
    LOL man its no trouble at all i like helpin.. ok if you are goin to get a one way bearin i want you to try somethin i did it once and it worked out greatly take the bearin you have now if you have a blow torch put the flame to it for about 5-10 sec intervals alllow to cool and do it one more time that believe it or not worked on a owb that i had while it needed replacin it worked then and its still beein used now.. if you kill the bearin than whatever you were gettin a new one anyways.. ill be here till tuesday after that i wont be in the forums anymore so till then lets get that bad boy goin

RC Racer
    alright ill try that out and thank you very much but also when i was trying to tune it i think i was turning both needles way to much then i relized that they only need tiny adjustments to get them right.

RC Racer
    oh and just wondering why wont you be on the forums anymore?

RC Racer
    im going to post a video of it in a little bit, anyways i tried getting it going again today and it wont idle without the help of the ez starter. i dont know what else to do

RC Champion
    the non idel without starter is a sign of richenin needed on the LSN and possibly ur glow plug .. ok before you start ur tune richen the LSN a 1/4 turn.. remember all the low speed issues we will say from 1-mid rpm is all in ur LSN so after you get it to stay runnin in low speeds work on ur HSN.. richen and lean as needed.. to rich and ur glow plug will have a oil build up in it to lean and ur glow will start to tarnish and eventually pop.. youll know when ur truck is runnin to lean tho cuz it will just cut out in the middle of a high sped run so from there just richen it back up a 1/4 turn then start on that LSN.. oh and ill be leavin the forum due to a seperation with me and my wife im lettin her keep my computer since hers died.. ill be on but it will be few and far between

RC Racer
    oh ok and what does it mean if brown like sludge is dripping from your exhaust?

RC Racer
    i got a video of it, this is after i richened the lsn a quarter turn and it seems to be doing the same thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1hKuVUQjtI

RC Champion
    ok next time ur tryin to start that open up ur idle on ur transmitter that should help it start or at least stay startin the throttle trim is good to use in a pinch like this.. the sludge comin from ur exhaust should just be fuel from runnin it a lil rich.. whats the weather temps where you are at right now? and what area are ya from so i can determine the humidity..

RC Racer
    im in the mass, vermont, maine, new hampshire area its around 80 degrees here

RC Racer
    and what do you mean open up the idle on the transmitter do you mean turn the throttle trim forward so the throttles being pulled?

RC Champion
    ok 80 degrees and more of a humid climate.. reset back to factory settins again then lean ur HSN 1/8 to 1/4 turn that should be a good place to start.. try that at high speeds if it starts cuttin out then at least you have a reconizable area.. from there even before you touch the LSN do the pinch test all ur LSN adjustments will be small i mean from 1/16 turns..add a couple drops of fuel to ur carb for a primin method and also open ur throttle trim a bit just to help keep it runnin..also how old is that fuel it will go bad so make sure you shake it up before you put it in ur tank the nitro will settle in the bottle

RC Racer
    alright its brand new fuel got it a few days ago and im charging up my ez starter now so ill be able to go try out all that soon,

RC Champion
    ok once you get it to stay started take a video again and post that as well.. most ppl after they get the hang of tunin will be able to hear if the tune is off

RC Racer
    alright ill do that hopefully i can get it to stay started haha

RC Racer
    it just doesnt want to stay started no matter what

RC Racer
    could there be something wrong with my rustler?

RC Champion
    Try a fresh glow plug. Just a thought.