RC Racer

faster summit combo

what ya running? specs needed

im thinging some 2c lipos 5000? , lipo charger? tekin 2250?? need some help. my sons stampede is faster with stock batterys?

SO WHATS IT TAKE TO RUN 35+?

RC Competitor
    you nailed it with the tekin and lipos!!! i have the 2250 truggy t8 and rx8 and with that plus a 20 tooth pinion and 68 tooth spur it goes faster than my nitro big block revo (nitro motor rated at 4.12hp)!!!! that setup (i have 25c lipos not 2c) i can set land speed records... way over 35mph, more like 50+ (hard to control but fast as h-e-double hockey sticks)

RC poster
    Tekin RX8 w/ T8 2650
    ******* 2s 5000 x2 in series
    Duratrax Ice Charger w balancer= wicked fast!!!!!

RC poster
    I know my 2650 was not made for my truck but i couldnt pass up the combo price, so for now thats what im working with here. No real heat issues either.

RC Racer
    Don't forget tires. The stock Canyon AT's will balloon like crazy at those speeds. And tape whatever tires you get.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman57 View Post
    Don't forget tires. The stock Canyon AT's will balloon like crazy at those speeds. And tape whatever tires you get.
    your not joking on tire balloning. Wow. Got a set of Big Joes on way.

RC Qualifier
    tekin rx8 1700kv truggy....17tooth pinion on swamp kongs....on 6s power = replacing clutch and rims, i keep stripping out the center of the rims or just bust it completly....but it is definently faster than my brushless emaxx with the 2200 mmm...cant control it either it likes to go sideways...
    ???Why so serious???
    JOKER TV

RC Racer
    can i get some vid links of these said 35 MPH? SUMMITS?

RC Racer
    so $275 motor and ESC, $200-$250ish lipo and charger???

is it worth it?

RC Qualifier
    it is for the crawling part that comes with the power to run that fast....i aint got a set of rims at moment...or i would post some wicked speed runs...waiting on farthers day to get an aluminum set, hoping i dont rip the centers from them or strip the hexes
    ???Why so serious???
    JOKER TV

RC Racer
    i have seen some of your vids, your trucks rock

RC Champion
    Race your son through a rock field and see who wins!
    I make tap adapters and power harnesses.

RC poster
    Guys do you have torque specs of Tekin 1700 and Titan 775?
    I am thinking to buy Tekin, but there is a thing that I really enjoy with the stock motor - its high torque.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ridindirty View Post
    I know my 2650 was not made for my truck but i couldnt pass up the combo price, so for now thats what im working with here. No real heat issues either.
    I keep hearing about these combo deal for tekin. Would u share it as i have been dreaming for it forever.

RC Competitor
    the difference in torque is not even comparable the tekin is sooooo better in every aspect (except not being waterproof from the factory) trust me (and others) if you have the money you WILL be very HAPPY i know i was!!! other than the water proof issue the only other downside is you will have to figure out where to set you slipper so the torque doesnt break parts!

RC poster
    What run time do you have driving it in a mixed style? I mean, bashing-crawling-climbing-bashing

Quote Originally Posted by r1822 View Post
    What run time do you have driving it in a mixed style? I mean, bashing-crawling-climbing-bashing
    The brushless systems are much more efficient so you will get longer run times than a brushed system.depending on batt's
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by r1822 View Post
    Even with a 4000mah 30c set the Tekin will run for 30 min of mixed driving and crawling for over an hour.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    The brushless systems are much more efficient so you will get longer run times than a brushed system.depending on batt's
    I know. But Tekin seems to be a pretty powerful system. I can't run my overpowered Slash longer than 15 minutes.

Do you have any problems with sensors in wet weather? I think it's better to use sensorless mode during winter, or water will damage sensors no matter I use them or not?

RC Qualifier
    Totally different system with 2 large battery packs and 4s or more depending on set up.Sensored no problem in snow and splashes of water.Just waterproof the gear and if the sensor gets wet it auto switches to sensorless until dry.Your crawling would suck but you still could drive it.Many videos and tech posts about water proofing or better stated making them water resistant.

RC poster
    I have installed the Tekin RX8 system with the T8 2250kv motor and changed the gearing to 58/18.

Here is a couple of my observations/experiences:

I am either running with 2 x 7000mAh 2s batteries from Orion or a 2s + 3s (so 5s in total) batteries from hyperion.
    The 4s combination runs quite well, and I get about 1 hour runtime out of the batteries with normal bashing/driving around.

I have tried running on 6s as well, but with the 2250kv rating of the motor, it gets too hot when doing continuous driving.
    Based on this, I find that the 5s voltage is a nice middleground between motor temperatures and power.

The car can run faster than what is needed in the areas where I drive so I don't know what the top speed is. The top speed calculator on scriptasylum.com suggests somewhere around 60mph. The reason for the gearing I have chosen is just to find a good balance between ESC and motor temperature.

As mentioned earlier. The stock tires isn't suitable at all for the speeds that is possible with the Tekin setup. Personally I run with the Proline Trenchers or the Big Joes depending on the surface.

Another thing that quickly became clear was that the stock suspension is quite good for rock climbing, but makes the handling of the truck quite difficult at higher speeds. It is almost impossible to turn the truck without tipping over unless you brake down to a crawl before turning.
    After having experimented a lot trying to find a decent balance between highspeed handling and offroad capability I ended up with the conclusion that there is too many compromises to be had, and it isn't possible to make a good suspension setup that can handle all situations.
    I ended up having 3 sets of shocks+rockers+pushrods so they are easy to replace.
    1 set for rock climbing (stock springs + LT rockers with 40wt oil).
    1 set for bashing/offroad driving (white front/green rear + P2 rockers with 55wt oil).
    1 set for onroad driving (gold front/tan back + P3 rockers with 65wt oil).

I found that it was beneficial to adjust the current limiter in the ESC. I ended up setting it to a value of 85. Values higher than that didn't appear to result in higher performance, but they would still increase the current going through the motor resulting in higher temperatures and shorter battery life.

Here in the end of my ramblings, I recommend browsing the ERBE forum as well, because with a Tekin setup in the car you basically end up with a Brushless E-Revo with a sensored motor, lockable diffs and a 2 speed transmission.

RC Racer
    ^^^^^^^^^^thank you, i know the summit is a crawler, but i like it as a basher, and 20 mph, isnt bashing

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by nabilmalik View Post
    I keep hearing about these combo deal for tekin. Would u share it as i have been dreaming for it forever.
    I mean deal as in from another member i got it used.

RC poster
    Thanks for your report about Tekin. 60 mph top speed.. Don't mind it's a good idea to reach speeds above 40 mph because model becomes uncontrollable.

There is an opinion of a russian forum that Summit is a very rare rc model, which needs no tuning, except lvc. It was made for terrain, not asphalt. Monsters' owners always go running onroad, it's much better to buy 2wd Slash for this aim. Slashes are not expensive, but I think Slash is one of the most durable models ever. Sure, if you know how to deal with rc.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by OnkelOnd View Post
    I have installed the Tekin RX8 system with the T8 2250kv motor and changed the gearing to 58/18.

Here is a couple of my observations/experiences:

I am either running with 2 x 7000mAh 2s batteries from Orion or a 2s + 3s (so 5s in total) batteries from hyperion.
    The 4s combination runs quite well, and I get about 1 hour runtime out of the batteries with normal bashing/driving around.

I have tried running on 6s as well, but with the 2250kv rating of the motor, it gets too hot when doing continuous driving.
    Based on this, I find that the 5s voltage is a nice middleground between motor temperatures and power.

The car can run faster than what is needed in the areas where I drive so I don't know what the top speed is. The top speed calculator on scriptasylum.com suggests somewhere around 60mph. The reason for the gearing I have chosen is just to find a good balance between ESC and motor temperature.

As mentioned earlier. The stock tires isn't suitable at all for the speeds that is possible with the Tekin setup. Personally I run with the Proline Trenchers or the Big Joes depending on the surface.

Another thing that quickly became clear was that the stock suspension is quite good for rock climbing, but makes the handling of the truck quite difficult at higher speeds. It is almost impossible to turn the truck without tipping over unless you brake down to a crawl before turning.
    After having experimented a lot trying to find a decent balance between highspeed handling and offroad capability I ended up with the conclusion that there is too many compromises to be had, and it isn't possible to make a good suspension setup that can handle all situations.
    I ended up having 3 sets of shocks+rockers+pushrods so they are easy to replace.
    1 set for rock climbing (stock springs + LT rockers with 40wt oil).
    1 set for bashing/offroad driving (white front/green rear + P2 rockers with 55wt oil).
    1 set for onroad driving (gold front/tan back + P3 rockers with 65wt oil).

I found that it was beneficial to adjust the current limiter in the ESC. I ended up setting it to a value of 85. Values higher than that didn't appear to result in higher performance, but they would still increase the current going through the motor resulting in higher temperatures and shorter battery life.

Here in the end of my ramblings, I recommend browsing the ERBE forum as well, because with a Tekin setup in the car you basically end up with a Brushless E-Revo with a sensored motor, lockable diffs and a 2 speed transmission.
    Excelltent description! Many Thanks..

I also feel that same that one setup cannot have the best of both worlds. The beauty of tekin rx8 and T8 motor is that it can do crawling as well as high-speeds, but unfortunately other things like the suspension and the tires do not support both types of driving at the same time. I am planning to have the following setups:

1 - Crawling and Trailing : Dewalt 18v with 5s evx2, higher Mod 1 gearing (40/23 perhaps), stock tires or Big Joes, rest all stock
    2 - MT Bashing: P1 rockers with purple springs, CC 1518 motor, ********* 150A Esc, Big Joes, mid suspension height.
    3 - On-Road: MT Bashing Setup, HPI Phaltline tires and wheels, lower suspension height.

Later I plan to get Ofna LX1-E and use the CC 1518 motor and ********* ESC in it, and keep the Summit at setup # 1 for most of the time i.e. Crawling and Trail running. I am hoping with the Dewalt 18v, 5s, and higher gearing, it will have close to 30mph top speed while the system will not get hot and live long.

let me know what you guys think??

-Nabil.