RC poster

Run time + batteries

I go out with my son who is autistic and we go to the local track. We are both new to this, so if I just want to get more run time when I go what would be the recommended batteries? We are running a stock brushed rustler/2WD pede and a 4x4 brushless pede with the 3000 mah batteries that came with them and get 20-25 min. Although, one of the batteries seems to die after about 10-15 min.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The higher the MAH rating of the batteries (so the bigger number, in this case, 3000mah is the stock battery) the longer the run time. You could simply go and get some high MAH rated 7 cell batteries like these:

Duratrax 4600mah 7 cell hump pack The picture is misleading with these packs. It shows the extra cell on the side of the pack... in reality its not, its shaped just like your stock pack. These are very very good batteries, teh 4600mah cells are very high quality and will provide excellent power and 30-35 minute run times.

I dont know if you already have one, but a better charger will not only cut charging time WAY down (1 hour) but it will also help your batteries last longer by charging them correctly.... heres a cheap option from tower that will do the job very very well: Onyx 230... look about half way down the page, theres a 230 for about $46

Tower hobbies scratch and dent chargers

Or, if you can afford it, you could look at going with LIPO batteries. They are safe to use if you pay attention to how your charging and running them... they are generally the same price or cheaper than NIMH packs of the same capacity and they provide much better power with less heat than NIMH packs. You would need a Lipo capable charger though... there are options in the $40-50 range... but I would reccomend a bit higher end Lipo charger... something like a Dynamite Passport ultra or a Hyperion. They are about $120-130... but will charge faster and have more capability than a cheap charger.

Either way you choose to go, youll get more run times from both trucks. Hope that helped.

RC poster
    The current charger I have is the traxxas ez-peak 4 amp one, don't know how good it is but I looked at the the three you mentioned and they all offer much more options. For the vehicles I have which would I be better off with? Also, I seem to be seeing that people that have switched to lipo have to replace certain parts, is that due to the higher torque from the lipo's or their specific driving style. Thanks for the info every bit helps as I learn more.

RC Champion
    http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos

http://www.hangtimes.com/rcbattery_faq.html

Understanding batteries is your first step in enjoying this hobby! These two links should help.
    I make tap adapters and power harnesses.

RC Racer
    I run a Castle Creation Sidewinder SCT with 9 tooth pinion and Venom 5000mAh NiMH and get 20-25 minutes of run time. Good topic, it's hard to find reliable information about run time with battery/motor/gearing combinations.