RC Qualifier

Should I get a bandit or something else?

Iv been thinking about getting a bandit vxl? Any reviews for me? It's between that an associated tc4 or the traxxas Ken block. I already own a slash 4wd and have done some mods to that. Just looking for a change of pace so if anyone could give me any reviews of the previous mentioned cars or recommend something I did not list it would help. Thanks people.

If you get a Bandit and actually like it, you probably will like it for its looks. The front is too light which does not help when you want to get it through a corner. Cute car, but looking at performance, there are better ones. Like the Rustler for 2WD and (mini) E-Revo for 4WD.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Enthusiast
    i have the bandit too(sort of) i used to drive it casualy in the backyard and it was fine and dandy,but when i started running at the track,i couldnt keep up..my front end was bouncing all over and i would spin out alot at the very sharp corners.now what i did was is i bought the arms and towers for a rustler and installed it on my bandit,let me tell you,there is a very noticable difference in the setup.ya 4wd handles better in corners and all,but with the new setup along with a new set of paddle tires,i can hold my own against them.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I you already have a 4x4 you probably won't like a 2wd vehicle, the 4x4 has more traction, handling and turns better than a 2wd.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...590-2wd-Vs-4wd
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 04-23-2011 at 09:22 PM.

RC Qualifier
    IMO the bandit is not worth it, just get the rustler... its basically a bandit with bigger suspension arms and shocks. Is your 4*4 set up for race or bashing? If its set up for bashing then getting a rustler might be worth setting up for racing (if you live by a track) But if your 4*4 is set up for racing.. the rustler would not be much fun at the track compared to the 4*4. and i would set my 2 truck up for bashing, the rustler is pretty good but IMO a 1/16 erevo would be a lot of fun for the same price
    Rustler MMP 3800 on 3s

RC Qualifier
    I had a Bandit but to be honest I dont see any use for it other than using it on the street. It comes with off road tires but its too low to run on grass or in snow or anything. If your getting the Bandit because you can get it for a really good price I would say buy it and convert it to a Rustler. BUT, if you already have a Slash (which can drive pretty well on grass, dirt and any other off road surface) and you want something thats a little change of pace, I would say get the Ken Block Rally. That way you can use your Slash as an off road vehicle and have the Rally as on on road vehicle. I put 2.8 dirt hawgs on my Rustler and I goes everywhere. I drive it on dirt, sand and grass no problem. Im thinking about buying a Ken Block Rally and using that as my street car and keep my Rustler as on off road truck that Ill use on the dirt BMX jumps by my house. IMO if you buy a second vehicle it should be something totally different than the one you already have. I really like the Summits but I dont rock crawl and to use it as an off road vehicle would be pointless. Get the Ken Block Rally
    Rustler VXL
    Two Slash 4x4 VXL's
    Spartan Boat

RC poster
    I actually have a bandit vxl, and to say i am a owner of 1, i do not think its that bad.. i actually took it too the track yesterday and it dosent handle too bad..all i can say it is that it flips over easily..breaking the wing..and it constantly goes through 76tooth spur gears..dont know why..i'm wondering if they sell metal 76tooth 48 pitch spur gears. but anyways..good car to f around with..

gunna buy a b4 buggy possibly.. "buggy lover"

RC Champion
    Thinking realistically the Bandit is not good for much of anything over the Rustler. It has low ground clearance. Its skinny. Not a lot of wheel/tire options. Not any faster than the Rustler.

The rustler is everything the bandit is, and then some.
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

RC Enthusiast
    In a drag race in a straight line the Bandit will out perform all vechicles.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by VVaI2LoCi View Post

if you want it for bashing and driving on all types of terrain though its not great... before I converted my Bandit to a Rustler I drove it around in the street with anaconda tires on it and thats basically all it was able to do... with the Bandit Im driving it on the road, in grass, in sand, on dirt and off BMX jumps no problem
    Rustler VXL
    Two Slash 4x4 VXL's
    Spartan Boat

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    The thing about a TC4 or a KB rally is that your pretty limited to on-road only. Although I do love Associated, they are not going to be your best choice for bashing. And for whoever said a Bandit will outperform a TC4, or any vehicle, is WRONG. A TC4 in a strait drag race, will brutally kill a Bandit if it is running a VXL system. The KB Rally wouldn't do so hot in a drag race, and a Rustler would be right there with the Bandit, given the same wheels and tires. Let me break it down by cars...

Associated TC4-
    Very limited to on-road racing, could possibly be made into a rally car, but not a great idea, as it is more of a racer. Associated vehicles are very brittle and like to break a lot, if a curb does decide to jump out in front of you. Can be made into a very high speed car, 100+ if you have the time, patience, and money.

KB Rally-
    I've owned several 1/16 scales by Traxxas. I really don't care for the design, I don't know, maybe I am just not a smaller scale guy. This does have a bit more of durability than the TC4, and can be modified to go offroad, pretty easily. The thing about this vehicle is, with a few minor changes, you can put this into a Mini Revo configuration, and a very capable offroader, but not an extreme offroader, due to its small and nimble design.

Bandit VXL-
    Seems to be more of a street car, if you want to bash around on the street. Again, it can be modified to go offroad, with just a simple tire change. It also shares many, MANY, parts of the Rustler VXL, which has a HUGE parts base. A Bandit really is a Rustler with just a different body, choice of wheels and a few other small parts. This is a very durable platform, and I really like how simple it is to work on. If you get a VXL, you have a transmission that will take abuse, however you may find yourself replacing drive shafts and drive line parts often. This is definitely a better all around car out of the 3 cars you have narrowed your selection down to.

Hope this helps, any more questions feel free to PM me or post here.
    Last edited by Grand National; 04-25-2011 at 12:34 AM.
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Qualifier
    I havnt decided what to get or sure. I have the slash and love it. I want rtr. I was thinking along the lines of something for the street but also like the revo vxl 1/16 & 1/10. Just trying to figure out the best way to spend my money. I like e Max to but very expensive. Deffinetly vxl brushless, rtr, and probably traxxas. Or maybe I should just dump the money into the slash on hop ups. Any recommendation on street tires for the slash? Thanks for the help everyone. Keep it coming.

RC Qualifier
    yea you could just dump the money into the slash... how much money are you talking about having to spend? If your Slash is in need of a few things and you just barely have enough to buy another vehicle Id say hook up the Slash. How stock is your Slash? The revo vxl is an awesome truck but then you have 2 off road vehicles instead of a nice variety... lol if I had enough money I think I would buy one of everything, the more I start talking about these the more I want another. I have a Rustler and my dad is trying to buy a Slash 4x4 VXL barely used from a customer of his for a good price. I want a Ken Block Rally so badly to use as a street vehicle so thats why I said earlier you should get that but at the end of the day you have to make the decision for yourself so...
    Rustler VXL
    Two Slash 4x4 VXL's
    Spartan Boat

Quote Originally Posted by VVaI2LoCi View Post
    When it comes to who is the first upside down, you are right. When it comes to a drag race, my experience is that the Rustler is faster. Most important reason is that the Rustler front is heavier than the Bandit one and can use more power for acceleration.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC poster
    i have the rally. and i LOVE THE SHIZ out of it!!! yeah it breaks alot but the parts are cheap and there are a crap load of rpm and aluminum parts for it. i have 4s with castle creations mamba monster castle creations 9000kv brushless motor and a lot of rpm parts and hpi x pattern tires. it handles amazingly and those hpi tires have insane amounts of grip. it pulls wheelys all the time even if its a sedan. ive got up to 120mph+ with this setup, i could never full throttle it since my street is short but i radared it. it is very stable in high speeds. you should definately buy it. traxxas rally FTW!!!