RC Qualifier

Steering keeps "sticking"

When im using my merv, the steering doesnt seem as strong as it should be... sometimes it just sticks in one direction. it doesnt seem to want to turn right very good, it takes about 20 feet to turn it around! thats not right... lol any tips?

RC Competitor
    Do you have stock or aftermarket knuckles???

RC Qualifier
    just put in new rpm a arms, and knuckles

RC Qualifier
    and it doesnt seem to want to turn the tires while its sitting still, it has to be moving, like its got no power to turn them... (left to right, not forward and backwards)

RC Champion
    Do you hear any clicking?
    Just accelerate, and only good will come.

RC Qualifier
    if you run in water alot make sure to lean the servo saver and oil it with a small amount of lube to keep it running smooth that was my problem in the winter also make sure ur rpm knuckles arnt to tight a nd binding on the pivot balls.
    Here we go again.........

RC Qualifier
    whats a servo saver? lol, i dont know much about these lol

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by willy911 View Post
    Honestly, I don't even know what a servo saver is.

RC Qualifier
    i dunno, maybe the servo is shot or something, ill just get a new one. if i put 2 of them in, will it give it more turning power?

RC Champion
    i dunno, maybe the servo is shot or something, ill just get a new one. if i put 2 of them in, will it give it more turning power?
    Yes, dual servos will double the amount of torque for turning.

RC Qualifier
    cool, but will it drain much more life outta the batteries? and should i put in a fan? i find the esc heats up quite quickly, i just bought it in december, and replaced the esc about 2 months afterwards, then that one went, so i just got a new one in it. still seems to heat up quite quick, im just running paralell too, and not lipos. but can i get a fan or something to keep it cool?

RC Champion
    cool, but will it drain much more life outta the batteries? and should i put in a fan? i find the esc heats up quite quickly, i just bought it in december, and replaced the esc about 2 months afterwards, then that one went, so i just got a new one in it. still seems to heat up quite quick, im just running paralell too, and not lipos. but can i get a fan or something to keep it cool?
    It won't drain barely ANY battery life at all. The stock servos can work even with almost no power, I've found out. I didn't know if the stock battery came charged, so I tested it. (I know that it says in the manual that it doesn't come charged!!)

The servo worked fine, but the motor didn't. Time to charge the battery pack.

I'm just telling you this to prove that the servos don't take up much of the battery's capacity.

RC Qualifier
    Did you recently unscrew and re screw the knuckles on the a arms? If you screw them on two tight it hurts the steering
    Brushless Summit!!!!!
    Slash 4x4

RC poster
    Check all of your steering linkages. One of the screws holding my toe linkage on was coming out a bit causing the steering to bind when I turned right. A drop of glue on the screw (where it threads into the plastic steering case) was all it took to keep it in place and cure my binding problem.

RC Qualifier
    i had it in dealer where i purchased it, they put the knuckles and everything in for me. how would i know if they are too tight? how do i check/adjust this?

RC Qualifier
    the servo saver is the thing with the spring inside of it under the front skid where the steering links com out from under the skid il try to get a pic

RC Qualifier

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by darkinferno View Post
    the servo saver is the thing with the spring inside of it under the front skid where the steering links com out from under the skid il try to get a pic
    Oh, OK. I get it now.

RC Qualifier
    To check your knuckles disconnect the servo (remove the servo, or the horn, or disconnect the steering linkage, however you want) but you want to be able to turn the wheels freely by hand. Then turn the wheels all the way left and right and move the a arms up and down. You are looking for binding in the pivot balls at any point in the travel.

The servo saver is called that because of the spring. If you take it out and play with it it becomes pretty obvious why. The idea is if the wheels get torqued out of whack (that's a technical term lol) then the spring takes up the torque and not the servo.

And with the stock motor and esc you should not need a fan (they don't even make one). Are you sure you have a parallel connector and not a series connector? Just want to make sure since you wouldn't be the first to mix that up.
    Rally SV2/4600 and fully loaded

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by So Cold View Post
    To check your knuckles disconnect the servo (remove the servo, or the horn, or disconnect the steering linkage, however you want) but you want to be able to turn the wheels freely by hand. Then turn the wheels all the way left and right and move the a arms up and down. You are looking for binding in the pivot balls at any point in the travel.
    Cool. I didn't know that.

Quote Originally Posted by So Cold View Post
    The servo saver is called that because of the spring. If you take it out and play with it it becomes pretty obvious why. The idea is if the wheels get torqued out of whack (that's a technical term lol) then the spring takes up the torque and not the servo.
    Oh, OK. Thanks for the clarification.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by zanek View Post
    Did you recently unscrew and re screw the knuckles on the a arms? If you screw them on two tight it hurts the steering
    Thanks thats what I just did, problem fixed.

Gotta love the Traxxas search feature, you dont have to post question and wait.

RC Competitor
    Haven't been on in a while. Same thing happened to my that is why I asked if you had stock or rpm knuckles. The caps are too tight that hold the pillow balls in. Not sure what size allen it is, but it is small. Loosen them a quarter turn at a time until it is able to turn and you should be good to go. I'd bet that is your problem.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by speedstang91 View Post
    Haven't been on in a while. Same thing happened to my that is why I asked if you had stock or rpm knuckles. The caps are too tight that hold the pillow balls in. Not sure what size allen it is, but it is small. Loosen them a quarter turn at a time until it is able to turn and you should be good to go. I'd bet that is your problem.
    WOW thanks bud, i was afraid there was something wrong with the servo, i loosen them up and its turning fine now. This thread is awesome, thanks for the info guys
    Sony Action Camera, My new toy

RC Qualifier
    i checked my merv, the steering wasnt working right and it would sometimes stick in one direction... i looked, one of the screws holding my pushrod was unthreaded about half way, it was catching and sticking, its working fine now. YEEEE HAWWW!!!

RC poster
    i checked my merv, the steering wasnt working right and it would sometimes stick in one direction... i looked, one of the screws holding my pushrod was unthreaded about half way, it was catching and sticking, its working fine now. YEEEE HAWWW!!!
    Post #14. Your Welcome.....

RC Qualifier
    Glad to hear it.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by darkinferno View Post
    Lol one of the parts I had to replace today after a bad jump at a bmx track.

RC Qualifier
    By the way, dual stock servos are friggen awesome. If you don't intend on using the other servo space its a great investment. Waterproof, and double the torque. I LOVE IT.

RC Racer
    And double the cost to repair/replace if you blow both of them.