RC Enthusiast

Stampede 4x4 Bashing questions.

newbie Rc guy here just got my first RC truck and love it!

Just curious on a couple things.

Been looking at getting some stiffer shocks since i'm pretty much only in mud/snow/grass. any suggestions there?

And the other thing should I look at going with a lower spur gear/pinion than the stock one I have ? ( stock is 54/11)
    I put the 17pinon just to see and its a lot faster! but I don't really need the speed so much and will be putting the stock back in(And i see it i can always switch it out if i want to be going fast)

I'm running a 5000mah 9.4 Nimh battery and a 5000mah 7.4 2s lipo .

Any input would be great. Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    If you just want stiffer shocks just put heavier weight shock oil and stiffer springs on your stock shocks. If you are looking for more performance look at the Traxxas Big Bore shocks, Pro-Lines, Losi Ten-T shocks, or D8's.
    Had-> MERV, ERBE, Stampede 4x4

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The big bores wont really give you much of a performance improvment but i think they are a bit stronger if your having troubles with shock caps popping off or bending shafts... otherwise a set of aluminum caps on the stock shocks should hold up to just about anything. But big bores are a good upgrade if you really want to upgrade your shocks.

For your gearing, you CAN get pinions down to 9t and you can get spurs UP to 58.. but I dont think the 58's will fit. I think a 54 or 56t spur is as big as you can go... if you want to go faster there are also 52t spurs out there... but thats to go FASTER... if you want to go slower and run cooler you should be looking at a 9 or 10t pinion with the stock spur.

RC Enthusiast
    Awesome thanks for the input guys. really appreciate it.

Ill get the alum caps for the shocks and get heavier weight oil.

Yeah i'm not looking to go super fast.. when i put the 17t pinon in that was as fast as i would ever go.. i want to make sure i'm getting the best grip possible with the ground so I don't get stuck as much (I had my truck pretty much submerged and was chugging heh) what is the difference between a different pinion and spur gear? like if i kept the same pinon and changed the spur gear would that make a huge difference as oposed to changing pinon and keeping the same spur gear?