RC Racer

What spur/pinion are you running and why?

Right now I'm all stock, but with the big heavy tires coming, I'm thinking about changing.

What are you running, and why did you change to it?
    I gots trucks and no idea what I'm doing!

RC Qualifier
    i just got my rok lok tires installed yesterday, and installed an 11T pinion with the stock 68T spur. just got back from the shakedown run and the truck performed amazing. the creek that i crawl had more water than usual after all the rain we got yesterday, but these rok lok tires are awesome. it crawls much better than stock...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'm running a pinion gear that is one tooth smaller than stock. I knew right up front that the Summit is not a speed machine and I wanted better throttle control at low speeds. It worked like a charm!

RC Qualifier
    i got stock setup with tekin and swamp kongs...close ratio gear set also...will be changing it to the wide gear ratio for a even lower and smoother 1st gear....2nd summit is all stock with wide gear ratio in trans , super slow crawling abilities....3rd is all stock with rock crushers will be changing to a 12tooth pinion or 10 tooth....it also has the close ratio tranny gears....4th summit????????????????????????? i aint decided yet how to build it....
    ???Why so serious???
    JOKER TV

I am running the dewalt 14.4 with a 16t pinion 65spur with the moab xl's it's working great when i was running the crushers it was 12p 68s.Like jakey said the throttle control is the key to getting the truck to do what you want.When i had it geared higher i couldn't get it to do this stuff very well spent a lot of time flipping over backwards http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYnLJWiC-W4
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    I'm running 18p and 65s. Not a lot of crawling this way but more for out running my dog and bashin around. I still can pull my kid in his wagon in low with out over heating or flat out in high with the dog behind!
    dewalt 14.4

RC Qualifier
    run a smaller spur gear , so the motor moves closer to center , this helps CG . but use a pinion to keep the Gear ratio in the low 5's or high 4's. another benifit of smaller Spur , is that you donot have to loosen the Transmission to change spur gears , this saves time . All this is for Tires around the stock size of 7" , bigger tires like RC and RL move toward 6 ratios.

good starts would be (Basicaly staying around the stock ratio 68/14 (4.857)
    65/13 (5)

62/12 (5.16)

58/11 (5.27)

54/11 (4.9)**titan only , this combo hits dewalt motor shell

I have run all of these and more , it was fun doing it . what i run at this moment is the 58/11 , since it very easy to do dramatic ratio changes by swaping out the pinion , and the motor is still low to chasis , with either the titan or the dewalt. I now only run light tires (and light glue rims)and mostly run the titan, because i get the longest run times . all is 4s Lipo keep that in mind.

RC Competitor
    Alright newbie here, sorry. But where can I find the smaller toothed pinion gear?? All stock now.

RC Qualifier
    I am running the Tekin RX8 brushless system and I am using the stock spur (68T) with a Robinson Racing 17T pinion (17/68). However, I have found the stock spurs to be kind of weak so I am thinking about buying the Robinson Racing 60T steel spur gear. I will then compensate with a 15T pinion. The 15/60 setup will give the same speed as the 17/68. I changed to a higher gear ratio simply because the Tekin can handle higher gearing. I am even running 7.3 in. Proline Moab tires.
    Why can't other people share my opinions?

RC Competitor
    Thank you!