RC Competitor

Velineon3500 waterproof system VS castle mamba monster

2 weeks ago I ve decided to join rc world. At that time I was hesitating between stampede and bigger truck like e revo or e max. Eventually I went for stampede coz water proof system is very tempted and I ve never known before that rc car is able to run through muddy pool. Now I own stampede 4x4 and encounter overheating problem with velineon system. Majority of members here recommend castle mamba system to solve overheating problem. From my standpoint, I want to keep water proof system as long as I can but I know my motor system gonna burn out soon which is really sad and finally it need to be replace with castle motor. So... What's the point I bought stampede? I spent a lot of money on this truck coz I love it. With that amount of money I could have bought e-revo! This fact is bothering me a lot and make me regret. Why velineon system is so fragile??? That's the question I want to confront with traxaas. If the motor system can not handle 3s lipo, why do they keep advertising it. I'm gonna end it here. Tears in my eyes now

Does it sound like a personal statement? lol
    Hope you guys don't mind that I'm ventilating.

RC Competitor
    I feeel you. I am kind of thinking the same thing. Whats I think I am going to do is just ignore the heat problems with the vxl and once it burns out just replace the motor with an sct 3800 and then keep the vxl esc. As long as you keep a fan on the esc it should last.

A used VXL system sells for about the same price as a new 3800 SC system. While the SV2 is not water proof, it is water resistant, and only costs $35 for a non-warranty repair, so you could get it wet, without worrying to much.

Something to keep in mind, you might have been able to buy a E-revo , but not a ERBE, and by the time you got batteries and upgrades for it, you would have spent alot more. I love my E-revo, no doubt, but it would cost twice as much to have a E-revo that performs like A P4de, don't kid yourself.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Also keep in mind, traxxas says the system CAN run 3S... not that you SHOULD always run 3S. I think the problem is that there isnt enough warning about the danger of over heating your system. Theres so much talk about top speeds but rarely is there a big warning sign that says "prolonged running at high speeds could cause damage"... and if there is a warning like this... it should be on the windshield of the truck, not burried in the manual.

Also, to andale927... you can run the castle 3800 motor with a VXL ESC... the VXL can not run 4pole motors. The 3800 is a 4pole motor (which is part of the reason its so impressive) so youll need a full SCT system

With that said, what Asheck said is correct. If you ARE concerned about the VXL system in your pede you CAN sell the VXL system for about $100 and buy an SCT system for about $85... so you just got about $15 back.

Then youve got a pede that CAN run 40mph all day without many issues and cost about half of what an ERBE setup for the same speeds would have cost.

RC Competitor
    Ooooh. What if I got an mmp as well as the 3800 sct motor. Would that enable me to run 3s and get 50+ top speed without overheating?

IMO 50 is pretty doable with the 3800 and the SV2 on 3s, Depending on the variables, but I have done it without issues. The 3800 and mmp is probably good for around high 50's, 2400 and mmp around 65, bashing. Thats assuming you have good batteries capable of supplying what is needed.
    _
    _

RC Qualifier
    If you really want the waterproof feeling there are lots of you tube videos on it. I myself have waterproofed my MMM in my slash 4x4 and my MMP in my stampede 4x4. I have had NO problems at all with either. Almost 1 year with MMM and 7 months with MMP.
    Wouldn't you like to know...

RC Enthusiast
    I just recently bought my first RC truck (Stampede 4x4) and I have to say i Freaking love it. I have a 9.4 volt (5000)NiMh battery and a 5000 2s 7.4v lipo battery. I have never had any issue with it yet and I have been bashing like crazy.

I don't know if i'm out of line here or not but, I don't understand why people get mad when they can't do a constant 50MPH with the pede?

if i wanted to go super fast for a long long time wouldn't I want to get a car? I bought the pede to go off roading and go mudding. of course ill hop on the road and gun my pede to just go fast.. but not for ever and ever and ever. Every time i'm switching batteries out my motor/esc is never burning hot.. (i mean of course its warm but not terrible)

I'm really just curious why you would buy the stampede for anything other than off-roading/mudding... because if you are doing that you can't really be going super fast all the time.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by asheck View Post
    IMO 50 is pretty doable with the 3800 and the SV2 on 3s, Depending on the variables, but I have done it without issues. The 3800 and mmp is probably good for around high 50's, 2400 and mmp around 65, bashing. Thats assuming you have good batteries capable of supplying what is needed.
    I wasn't able to do 50 on the SV2...I might have gotten a bad apple don't know for sure. Had a terrible time with the SV2 even running at 40MPH. I can't recommend it to anyone.
    Had-> MERV, ERBE, Stampede 4x4

I wasn't able to do 50 on the SV2
    Were you using 3s?
    _
    _

RC Qualifier
    Were you using 3s?
    Nope, 8000mah 20c 2s.

Let me rephrase, I wasn't able to do 50mph for more then 1-2mins at a time. SV2 would hit overheat protection for 5-10secs then come back on. Put my MMM in on the same gearing and battery and ran it flat out for over 30mins straight.
    Last edited by dumbcomputers; 04-19-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Nope, 8000mah 20c 2s.
    I know, that was my point, because I earlier said
    IMO 50 is pretty doable with the 3800 and the SV2 on 3s
    I would never expect the SV2 to handle 50 on 2s. If you had been on 3s, for the same speed, there's a better then average chance it would have survived. But if your the type of guy who would put a MMM in a Pede then you would have never been happy with the SV2, anyways
    _
    _

RC Qualifier
    ... But if your the type of guy who would put a MMM in a Pede then you would have never been happy with the SV2, anyways

So true Thanks again.