RC Enthusiast

Wink Question for all who run 3s lipos...

Hello..

I have a question for all who like to bash on 3s lipo.. i have been using a 10 tooth pinion and am having temp issues now it runs around 160f and thermal protection kicks in.. i want to eliminate this issue so i wanted to know what gearing you all have been running to compensate for the added heat from the all mighty 3s! alsoo... the battery im using is a ******* ********* 5000 mah 20c 3s lipo... what batteries are you all running?

thanks a million!

RC Competitor
    You can't really eliminate the heat issue. My motor is hitting 190 degrees daily on the stock gearing with a 3s lipo. I am just going to just get what I can out of it then buy a cheap 3800 sct combo only about 90 bucks.

I pretty much agree. You could get some smaller tires, a 9 tooth pinion, fans, heatsinks and still just get temps usable. Better off just selling it off, and getting a proper system for the truck.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by asheck View Post
    I pretty much agree. You could get some smaller tires, a 9 tooth pinion, fans, heatsinks and still just get temps usable. Better off just selling it off, and getting a proper system for the truck.
    If that's the case then why would traxxas list a 3 cell lipo in the manual with stock gearing as an option?

RC Competitor
    They made a mistake. lol

They don't say you can bash it non stop on 3s, without heat issues, they also list a speed gearing, but again, you can't run it all the time. Hoinestly, it is what it is. TRX has this 1/10 system, so they used it. The VXL can work ok on 2s, and limited 3s, it's just not the performance people have come to expect.
    _
    _

RC poster
    I hear ya asheck. Hey, curious...how is she on a 2 cell lipo? Any heat issues?? How is the power compared to the stock NIMH??
    Last edited by drafeld; 04-10-2011 at 02:20 PM.

Try getting rid of the radio box, and relocating the esc to the front of the chassis. I saw a 20 degrees difference in temperature by doing this to my SV2
    _
    _

RC poster
    Not motivated enough to do that and esc and motor temps are separate from one another. My issue is with motor temps. Here is the weird thing. I cut out the back window of the body and ran it on 3 cells. At 5 minutes I saw a150 degrees and then at 10 minutes I saw 192 degrees which was a 50 degree drop. Not sure how that is possible, but I will test again this week.

So what about my previous question on heat and power with a 2 cell lipo?

Quote Originally Posted by asheck View Post
    Try getting rid of the radio box, and relocating the esc to the front of the chassis. I saw a 20 degrees difference in temperature by doing this to my SV2
    Last edited by drafeld; 04-10-2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: text

RC Enthusiast
    i just ordered a 7 toth pinion for my pede and hope its a direct fit but if not i will happily make it work no matter how much cutting it takes! Hopeing this will fix the issue and not force me into another system just thks second.. but i will be eventually it will crap out on me then its time to upgrade!