RC poster

best engine for tmaxx?

I want to get a new enigine for my 2.5 MAXX but dont know what to get. I dont want do any modifcations or change to metal gearing for racing purposes. Any suggestions?

RC Champion
    Louisiana but originally from Ottawa, Canada
    Yes get a 3.3 on eBay it's a perfect drop in.
    T-Maxx Predator 3.3
    Shockwave 36

RC poster
    I would but I want more speed because i have another MAXX with a 3.3 and i get beat every time at the track.

RC Champion
    Louisiana but originally from Ottawa, Canada
    Well I said 3.3 because you said you didn't want to do any modifications, if you go with something more then a 3.3 then you will have to do mods..Like your driveline from your 2.5 won't handle much more power then a 3.3

My truck started as a 4910 and when I put in the 3.3 my rear shaft don't last like they did with the 2.5
    T-Maxx Predator 3.3
    Shockwave 36

If you are racing at a track with rules, then you may want to check before you put anything bigger than a 3.3 engine in it. If you go with an RB 523 or a Piccomaxx engine, you might not be able to race. Those two engines will turn your maxx into a beast, but you may have to fudge on your "no mods" idea.
    Another very capable engine is the OS .21TM. I run that one and love it, but it will cost you a mint.
    With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound...

RC poster
    did u have to change the gearing in your tranny when u put the OS .21TM in
    Last edited by MrMuscleMAXX; 04-05-2011 at 03:52 PM.

The tranny is stock 4909 with a forward only conversion, but I am using a 40t Revo spur and a 17t Kyosho clutchbell.
    With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound...

Quote Originally Posted by MrMuscleMAXX View Post
    I would but I want more speed because i have another MAXX with a 3.3 and i get beat every time at the track.
    You are most likely not getting beat due to a lack of speed /power from the engine.

Handling and being able to apply the power to the ground when racing a TMaxx are most critical.
    What trucks are you racing against? What tires are you running etc?
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man View Post
    You are most likely not getting beat due to a lack of speed /power from the engine.

Handling and being able to apply the power to the ground when racing a TMaxx are most critical.
    What trucks are you racing against? What tires are you running etc?
    +1 driving skills and a good suspension setup is key to the track.... I have a 3.3 TMAXX and make the A-Main every time I race (usually 20-3 trucks in MT class when I'm racing). I too want to know what are you runing against other MT's? or are they truggies? I get bumped up into the Truggy class if there aren't enough MT's showing up on Race Day.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

RC poster
    I dont race my T-MAXX alot but when I do I want to win. I race my Revo 3.3 more than anything.

RC poster
    I am running 4 powerstrokes, 40 series bow-ties, traxxas 2055 throttle servo, hi tech fubata steering servo, fubata 3pm magmum electronic recevier and remote and light weight integy chassis on my 2.5 maxx my 3.3 is prety much stock but it was 2.5 until i put a 3.3 in.

RC Champion
    Are you running against Truggies or other MTs? Does the class you run in limit engine size? If you aren't limited in engine size, you really don't have a choice and have to get a monster of an engine to live up to your tag "MrMuscleMAXX" .

Quote Originally Posted by MrMuscleMAXX View Post
    I am running 4 powerstrokes, 40 series bow-ties, traxxas 2055 throttle servo, hi tech fubata steering servo, fubata 3pm magmum electronic recevier and remote and light weight integy chassis on my 2.5 maxx my 3.3 is prety much stock but it was 2.5 until i put a 3.3 in.
    Drop the 40 series tires for racing, they have way to much push in the corners and will slow you down. Since they came out with the MT series and MTR series type tires as well as the LPR series.

Are you Forward only? Do you have a pull start? Doing these 2 things is cheap, increases performance a lot.

FOC = loss of over 6 OZ's. Less power being drained form the reciver pack since you only have 2 servos instead of 3, less rotating mass in the tranny which will get you to top RPMS a lot faster. More physical contact between the gears since the forward only setup has a wider output gear = more strength and less stripped gears.

Recoil start = another 6 OZ + diet. Considering the overall average weight is 10 lbs that's a huge cut in weight. It also allows more air flow around the engine since the EZ start is not on it.

Lower ride height and 4 shock setup. This will drop a little weight but increase you suspension performance considerably. The reaction time of the suspension is ten fold faster and more precise with having 4 less shocks in the system. Getting your ride lower so the A-Arms are parallel to the ground will make cornering a lot better. I understand you already have 4 powerstrokes but they were designed with a passive shock system, better off with a 1/8th scaled shock and a shock tower with a lot of adjustability like the UE Knucklehead towers.

These are just a few things I've done that have made my TMAXX Raceworthy.... Just dropping in a bigger engine may get you down the straight aways faster, but the cornering and handling of the TMAXX needs to be dealt with to be able to compete with more modern designs of MT's out there like the Revo. And yeah it's a blast when you lap someone on the track who has his Revo and thinks it's all that.

Lastly, anyone on the track will tell you, racing and a wing are a must. You will be extremely surpirsed how much diference in the air a wing provides as well as excellent engine protection if you flip or if another RC lands on top of you, it happens.

A good friend once told me "Racing is like bashing with 10 other trucks..." I couldn't agree more... And Thanks Neil whever you are....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

RC poster
    Thanx 4 the tips and help but the real reason I posted this thread is because i wanted a new engine but dont know what to get and need help but luckly i have narrowed it down to either OS.21 or the OS .18 but which one is better for racing?

RC Qualifier
    If you want more speed you can still use the 3.3 and change the gearing. You don't want to mod or anything but THAT'S how you get more power. Swapping gears, tuning, etc. You can't expect to just drop a new motor in and start beating everyone at the track. And the 3.3 has ample power. Start watching some of the lines the others are using at the track during a race and use their lines. It's not just speed that wins at the track.
    If you can't beat it....destroy it!