RC Enthusiast

Upgrades, What should be first?

New to these forums and to the traxxas slash. Bought a 2wd Slash 2.4 ghz xl-5 and had my first broken part today. Got a little to brave with jumping it and landed upside down!! I broke the rear shock tower. Just wanted to get some opinions on what would be a good replacement. I am leaning towards RPM parts, just want to know what everyone else thinks.

Also what else should be among the first parts to replace? Eventually want it to become bulletproof. This slash is for bashing and jumping only!!

RC Enthusiast
    Rpm r great! IMO they really don't seem to break and if they do they replace for free! With that said rpm was the choice for all my broken parts!! Have fun

RC Enthusiast
    I broke a plastic shock cap grazing a tree. replaced it a set of aluminum shock caps.
    5805 Slash
    Fly-Sky GT3B
    CC SCT 3800kv

RC Enthusiast
    I run RPM parts and have had no real issues since putting them on.
    One run at a time. Then pick up the pieces.

RC Competitor
    RPM, I have the shock towers and a-arms, also have the caster/steering blocks,rear axle carriers but put TRX alum on. Nothing against RPM at all !! No broken parts while on the truck, wanted the Alum stuff. Big bore's are good. You will upgrade to brushless,Velineon[waterproof] is what I have, no issues. Play with your gearing to the way your like to drive. Get your mesh correct. It will chew spur gears, Its will take abit to get the hang of it. Try the Trx b,f. goodrick tires, I like them better than the stock ones. Also have a set of proline Split-sixs[bead-loc] with Trenchers. I just play with my truck,"bashing" as they say, You will have a blast!! The truck is way FUN!! get the brushless....you will like the power.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLFLY View Post
    RPM, I have the shock towers and a-arms, also have the caster/steering blocks,rear axle carriers but put TRX alum on. Nothing against RPM at all !! No broken parts while on the truck, wanted the Alum stuff. Big bore's are good. You will upgrade to brushless,Velineon[waterproof] is what I have, no issues. Play with your gearing to the way your like to drive. Get your mesh correct. It will chew spur gears, Its will take abit to get the hang of it. Try the Trx b,f. goodrick tires, I like them better than the stock ones. Also have a set of proline Split-sixs[bead-loc] with Trenchers. I just play with my truck,"bashing" as they say, You will have a blast!! The truck is way FUN!! get the brushless....you will like the power.
    RPM skid plates

RC poster
    I use my truck for mostly bashing as there is mostly large gravel here on base. I have only broken the shock caps but quickly replaced them with Prolines shocks. A little much for bashing but I plan on being able to take it outside the wire some days and play in the hard packed dirt of Afghanistan. From what i've seen, the weakness are the shocks, A-arms, rear skid (two peice design sucks, get the Proline to combine the bumper mount into the rear skid) and the steering on it likes to pop loose. Either the RPM or Proline front skid will eliminate the white plastic part of the steering from popping out of its place.