Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    45

    New Motor Purchased - Need advice on other upgrades

    I have an xl5 Stampede, I have done some minor upgrades. bushing upgrade, rpm bumper, rpm wide a-arms. Going to purchase big bore shocks as well.

    I just purchased mamba max pro ESC, and CC 3800kv 1410 5mm shaft motor.

    I know I need a new 5mm pinion gear. I am looking for gear recommendations (size and brand if it matters)
    I will be running 2s, and maybe 3s in the future. I hope I can still use my nihm batteries also. I run mostly in grass, I would like as much speed as I can get but dont want to have to worry about heat to much. I have been doing research on gearing but I am still pretty much clue less on what would work best for my setup.

    Also anything else I should think about upgrading with the new power? shaft? Or maybe replace as I break it.

    Thanks
    Nick

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jezza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    5,589
    I had that on my 2wd pede back in the days, get the erevo gars or slash 4xc4, 32 pitch gearing (traxxas or robisnons), at 18/54 gearing you should not have any problem on 2s, on 3s, 14/54 is already uncontrolably fast.........

    you may need to upgrade your drives shafts, either the hd ones or MIP, tecno and FLM amongs a few...

    Also put weights at the front as it will become a wheelie king, another option is to tow down the punch control via the castle link.

    Get also aluminum bulkhead (FLM is my choice) but if not , aluminum tie rod at the front.

    I like the rpm bumpers, and also the slash bumpers on the pedes......

    You definetely need vxl camber and steering links, aluminum caster block and bearings trough out the wheels, aluminium carriers as they or when they break......

    as for shocks either the big bore, but also the gtrs are amings the forum favourites, do check them out, I had proline powerstrokes and loved them, had no problems but they are a bit pricy, the gtrs perform just as well if not better.
    Live life to the fullest

  3. #3
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    1,379
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    I had that on my 2wd pede back in the days, get the erevo gars or slash 4xc4, 32 pitch gearing (traxxas or robisnons), at 18/54 gearing you should not have any problem on 2s, on 3s, 14/54 is already uncontrolably fast.........

    you may need to upgrade your drives shafts, either the hd ones or MIP, tecno and FLM amongs a few...

    Also put weights at the front as it will become a wheelie king, another option is to tow down the punch control via the castle link.

    Get also aluminum bulkhead (FLM is my choice) but if not , aluminum tie rod at the front.

    I like the rpm bumpers, and also the slash bumpers on the pedes......

    You definetely need vxl camber and steering links, aluminum caster block and bearings trough out the wheels, aluminium carriers as they or when they break......

    as for shocks either the big bore, but also the gtrs are amings the forum favourites, do check them out, I had proline powerstrokes and loved them, had no problems but they are a bit pricy, the gtrs perform just as well if not better.
    ^^^+1 to Jezza! I also recommend going with the RPM Slash 2WD front skid plate. You have to drill two small holes in the chassis to make it fit, but it (along with the aluminum bulkhead and RPM Slash 2WD front bumper) will really strengthen your front end.

  4. #4
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    45
    Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it!

    So just to be clear are you recommending 18/54 or 14/54?

  5. #5
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    45
    I just used this speed calculator.
    http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

    Using 18/54 it shows with my new motor that my top speed is 28mph. I assumed it would have been a little faster.

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jezza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    5,589
    Quote Originally Posted by NickIowa View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it!

    So just to be clear are you recommending 18/54 or 14/54?
    14/54 on 3s and 18/54 onwards on 2s, you can go higher and monitor the temps, idealy below 160F max for all; motor, esc and batteries
    Live life to the fullest

  7. #7
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    1,379
    Quote Originally Posted by NickIowa View Post
    I just used this speed calculator.
    http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

    Using 18/54 it shows with my new motor that my top speed is 28mph. I assumed it would have been a little faster.
    That sounds low, I think you should check your input numbers and run that calculation again. 18/54 with the 3800kv motor on 2s (8.4V) and the stock Talon tires with no ballooning came out to 53mph when I did it.

  8. #8
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    45
    I just chose slash/stampede from the drop down lists. I am not surprised I did it wrong.

    Gears are ordered, thanks everyone!

    I have read a lot on here about the gtr shocks, I have also read that they wont fit a stampede. If anyone has a part number for the shocks to fit a stampede xl-5 I would appreciate it. I also see they dont come with springs, can I use the stock springs or should I get something else. Otherwise I can just get big bore. I will probably order those later today as well as my stock shock caps keep popping off.

  9. #9
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    82
    VG Racing makes some pretty solid TRX products in regards to suspension needs.

    I'd check them out.

    Personally, I went with Integy Aluminum Piggyback shocks on VG Racing springs. I've been very happy with that combo.

  10. #10
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    82
    Also, if you want to keep costs down in your drivetrain, I'd upgrade to the 4x4 rear shafts from TRX. They are thicker and apparently much more durable. 6852x is the part number.

    I'm running a 1/10 Hobbywing BL system in my XL5 Stampede. Still have the factory XL5 driveshafts in it with no issues to speak of. Been running the HW system since 2012. So I wouldn't say it's an upgrade you need to make immediately.

    Of course I opted for the 4300kv motor. Which is a little shy on torque in comparison to the 3500kv VXL motor. So that may be a key factor in why my shafts have survived all these years.

    A lot of people have different opinions about RPM vs Aluminum with the Slash/Stampede platform.

    Personally, this is what I've done:

    VXL Camber Links all-round
    RPM Rear Bearing Carriers
    RPM Front Bearing Carriers
    TRX Aluminum Caster Blocks
    TRX Motor Guard (basically 1/2 of the wheelie bar assembly)
    All bushings removed and replaced with sealed bearings

    I'm still running factory arms and haven't had any issues. This truck isn't heavy enough to garner a "full RPM treatment" in my eyes. Only time you'll see significant breakage is if you slam into something @ WOT. Even then, factory parts are super cheap of you do need to replace them. I've got a whole mess of spare parts from TRX that are just collecting dust! This truck is RUGGED when driven and cared for correctly.

  11. #11
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jezza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    5,589
    I had two pedes with different systems, one with the MMP 3800 and could compensate speed with higher voltage to compare with the other pede that had the DTX 3174 Onyx 4550 combo, great on 2s, speed monster, but really loved the MMP 3800, no heat issue what so ever, the SV3 will do the same on a light 2wd pede such as that, the MMP never really used to ist potential as it can take upto 6s, so I put it in the slash 4x4 and paired with an El Sob spcial, the traxxas 2400kv motor...another beast

    The 6852x is very strong campared to stock, but with so much toqrue I still managed to snap one, so got the FLM cvd at the time, now I have expereineced the MIP, and those too are some very strong piece of engeneering.....
    Live life to the fullest

  12. #12
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    1,379
    Quote Originally Posted by NickIowa View Post
    I just chose slash/stampede from the drop down lists. I am not surprised I did it wrong.

    Gears are ordered, thanks everyone!

    I have read a lot on here about the gtr shocks, I have also read that they wont fit a stampede. If anyone has a part number for the shocks to fit a stampede xl-5 I would appreciate it. I also see they dont come with springs, can I use the stock springs or should I get something else. Otherwise I can just get big bore. I will probably order those later today as well as my stock shock caps keep popping off.
    Hey Nick, I don't know what GTR shocks will fit the Stampede but I absolutely love the GTRs on my 4WD Slash. They have never leaked, nor have I ever had a cap pop off. That said, on my P2des, I went with the TiNi shafts and aluminum caps and they have been doing very well for the last few years. The P2de is a lot lighter than a Sl4sh, so I'm not sure that you really need the larger bore of the GTRs. The cheapest way to get your shocks bash-ready is aluminum caps and TiNi shafts. FYI, STRC also has aluminum shock bodies for the Ultra shocks. My main P2de has those as well, although I only got them because they were almost free at a garage sale.

  13. #13
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    45
    The motor,mmp, and new gears will be here on monday. I havent ordered shocks yet. I cant seem to find the correct GTRs for the p2de so I will probably just get the big bores.

    I am going to do some speed test before and after the upgrades. I know I am not working with anything really new, but I am excited to see the difference.

  14. #14
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    45
    I have some issues after installing everything.
    1. My new spur gear sticks out a lot more than the original, and the cover wont fit. I also have an RPM cover. Do I need a different cover or did I get the wrong spur gear?

    2. No way to mount the ESC, Not even one screw hole to use. How am I supposed to mount this? Do I need to purchase a mount?

  15. #15
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. JerrysMaxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    NAWLINS
    Posts
    3,925
    Coover won't fit with 32p. Double sided tape will hold down ESC or get the ESC mount from RPM dor Castle ESC's
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

  16. #16
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    45
    Will the RPM esc cage work with mamba max pro? It doesnt say anything about the mmp. I also found a snappyrc mount.
    I like rpm products so I hope it works with the mmp.

    I will start searching for a new cover.

  17. #17
    RC Qualifier Lionkev55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    656
    Quote Originally Posted by NickIowa View Post
    Will the RPM esc cage work with mamba max pro? It doesnt say anything about the mmp. I also found a snappyrc mount.
    I like rpm products so I hope it works with the mmp.

    I will start searching for a new cover.
    I don't think so...the MMP is slightly shorter than the sv3 esc. Weird since it is a little more powerful and more high end.

  18. #18
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    45
    ok so I have some before and after speed test. Tests were done by strapping my phone to the back and running an app called GPS speed graph. I took screenshots of the app.
    Stock motor esc running nihm battery, I got to 22.6mph - Pretty sure this is max speed
    Castle mmp and 3800kv motor 2s lipo, I got to 39.4mph - This was on gravel and I dont think this was max, probably could get low 40s. Geared at 19/54

    Then I lost control and slammed it into a wood post probably going around 30mph. Broke the back wheel off lol. I wasnt even mad, to busy smiling.

  19. #19
    RC Champion OlorinTharkun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    near Farmington NM
    Posts
    1,229
    Nice choice on motor/ESC. Run that on my 2Slash. I switched to 32p gearing and never bother with a gear cover anymore. It's not needed. The 48p gears might strip from a small rock in the gears but 32p gears are a lot sturdier. Cover really not needed.

    I like the SnappyRC mount for the ESC. That's what I use.


    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

  20. #20
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    45
    Rear camber link and rear suspension arm.

    I am searching now to see if I should buy stock or if there are upgrades available.

  21. #21
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    45
    Looks like RPM makes rear arms, probably go with those. Not sure if I should get stock camber link or upgrade those. Some I see are adjustable, I wonder if that is worth an upgrade?

  22. #22
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. JerrysMaxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    NAWLINS
    Posts
    3,925
    Quote Originally Posted by NickIowa View Post
    Looks like RPM makes rear arms, probably go with those. Not sure if I should get stock camber link or upgrade those. Some I see are adjustable, I wonder if that is worth an upgrade?
    The vxl links are very strong. N ice up grade frnt. and rear.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

  23. #23
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    45
    Used traxxas parts finder and chose stampede vxl, Is this the correct part? It says 82mm and thats what my manual says my stock ones are.
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/3643

  24. #24
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    45
    So I am starting to receive my replacements parts and upgrades. I notice that the screws will not fit the vxl camber links. Is it recommended to just go to a hardware store and find some that will work or should I order something else?

  25. #25
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. JerrysMaxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    NAWLINS
    Posts
    3,925
    The XL-5 used plastic camber links the Screws are different. You can do many things such as get RPM's screw kit just for the links....http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...m70680/p441621
    or get the Tony's screw kit which will replace all the phillips heads with hex head.
    http://www.tonysscrews.com/product.s...&categoryId=57
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

  26. #26
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    45
    So I got it all fixed up today. New big bore shocks, Rpm rear arms (that now match my blue wide Rpm arms), and vxl cambers.

    Did a speed test on pavement and hit 42.6mph, this thing is fast! I can do a wheelie at almost any speed. I can't imagine wanting it any faster, I was just waiting for the thing to hit a bump and just start rolling. And the tires ballooned so bad they look like they were going to come off. Only did a few passes for speed test, gonna take it bashing tomorrow, I may need to program esc for lower power.

    Thanks everyone for the advice! Having lots of fun with this hobby. Can't wait for my 5 year old to get old enough so I can buy him one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •