RC poster

Lightbulb Old Stampede upgrades?

Hi,

I have a pretty old Traxxas Stampede (Model 3606) and I wanted to know if you guys have any suggestions for upgrades. Best Buy sells A LOT of stuff so ordering from there would be preferable. I will get stuff likenew wheels, maybe tires, stuff like that. But engine wise, what do you suggest? I currently have a Titan 12T 550. I was thinking of buying a new Stampede VXL all together but I don't know if that would be a good idea or not..
    http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...d2b13fd6bden02

Thank you

RC Champion
    Well first off, that link shows a 4x4 Stampede. That is not the same as the 3606 you have because the 3606 is 2wd. Completetly different truck. Secondly, I wouldn't purchase RC's from best buy, $499 is too much even for a 4x4 Stampede, try Towerhobbies.com. Third, imo a good upgrade for you motor and ESC would be the new traxxas VXL ESC/Motor. For tires I would check out prolineracing.com

And after those upgrades I would just drive the thing and have fun and upgrade things as you break them. You don't want to just start throwing money at it. ENJOY!
    Last edited by G-Rustler; 03-08-2015 at 05:56 PM.
    Forget G-Rustler, My Name is G-Maxx

RC poster
    I didn't link the stampede to show it was mine, I was meaning to show that that was one I was looking at buying. The one I do have is a 3606 though I know that for sure. I will look at those websites. Thanks

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by zebragoat View Post
    I didn't link the stampede to show it was mine, I was meaning to show that that was one I was looking at buying. The one I do have is a 3606 though I know that for sure. I will look at those websites. Thanks
    Well yea I know it wasn't yours. What I was telling you is that the one you're linking is not the same as a 3606 so beware. I was thinking you wanted to buy the newer version of the 3606 and the one in the link is not it.

RC poster
    Ohhh okay. Any suggestion on one below $500 if I were to get a new one? 4x4 or 2WD, it doesn't matter to me.

RC Champion
    Well since you're in 2wd section of the forums i'll suggest the 2wd. Easier to work on than the 4wd and since you have a 3606, parts are interchangeable.

Towerhobbies are out of stock right now but says it will be in stock in early march which is now
    http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...as/trad85.html

If you cant wait here's the link for one on ebay.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-3607...item487b49d5e4

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I wasn't aware the United States Best Buys sold traxxas stuff

I wouldn't buy from there though, their stuff is grossly overpriced....

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    His link is to bestbuy.ca in canada. The ONLY time its worth buying from them is around christmas when they have crazy sales. And now that the US dollar is so much stronger than ours buying from the US isnt any cheaper than buying from a local hobby shop.

But i would suggest looking around your area for a proper hobby store. Best buy only sells traxxas parts. Which are good but if your going to upgrade your old stampede you may want to source other brands... especially for things like tires/wheels.

If I knew where you were located i could perhaps help with that...

Upgrading an old stampede is easier when you look at what we call "chop shops"... or places that buy new vehicles and part them out. The best one is dollarhobbyz.com
    You can buy complete parts like a whole transmission for about $25 or so. If you want to upgrade your old stampede you'll need all new transmission gears. Its easier and almost the same price just to buy the whole transmission from dollar.

Also, look around on their site... they sell lots of ESCs and motors from all different brands. If you want to stay with a brushed system, you could get a new traxxas XL5 esc and maybe an HPI brushed motor, or look for a brushless setup. They also sell lots of different servos that will work in your truck.

RC poster
    Awesome guys thanks for the suggestions! I will look at these stores/links and get back to you on my thoughts!

EDIT: something like this would be good? http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B002AVX...xas+vxl+engine

That paired with a new Transmission. I looked at the VXL engines with their matching ESC on the dollarhobbyz website but they were about the same price on Amazon. Any suggestions for transmissions? I have no clue what is compatible and what isn't with those.

Thanks
    Last edited by zebragoat; 03-09-2015 at 03:03 AM.

RC Champion
    No that is the VXL-3M for 1/16th scale trucks. What you need is the VXL-3s combo for a 1/10th scale trucks. Check the link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-Veline...=vxl+motor+esc

Do you have any pics you can upload? I'm not sure you need to upgrade your transmission. I would wait on that for now.

RC poster
    Ohhhh okay thanks. I will upload some pictures as soon as I get home

If his truck is a 3606, he needs new internal tranny gears. His diff ring gear and idler gear will be plastic. And he will have the old pin style slipper... which is not up to even high power brushed setups IMO.

Just looked on dollarhobbyz at transmissions and they appear to have jacked up their prices on complete traxxas transmission assemblies. They used to be about $22... now the cheapest is about $30... which makes it more cost effective to just get a new diff ring gear and idler gear and rebuild it yourself.

RC poster
    http://imgur.com/ha6mvw5

Yeah I'm guessing I will need a new Tranny aswell. So I would need a tranny, ESC, and VXL motor so far, right?

Yup, she's an oldy. Your going to need new driveshafts as well. You have white plastic outdrives. They wont last with a brushless setup. Id be interested to know what radio your using as well...

That truck will have bushings in the axle carriers front and rear... those need to be replaced with bearings. You can pick up a full set of carrier, driveshafts WITH bearings from Dollarhobbyz as a set. Probably the best way to go about it.