RC poster

more like the big summit

as i sit here waiting on my esc, ive been pondering why the mini summit didnt recieve all the goodies that the bigger version did, like 2-speed tranny, remote lockers, sealed driveshafts, and dual steering servos. please do not think i am bashing traxxas because im not! they have an excellent tech support and customer service and very fine products! this little truck is loads of fun, but i think it would be alot better with the features of the bigger version.

RC Enthusiast
    seems like alot of people want the big Summit features on the little summit. Seems like they should have just gotten the big one then. If it had all thoes features it would cost as much or more than the big one. we all got the little one becuse it was cheaper than the big one. Even though i have at least $700 mabey closer to $800 in mine so far. i have full LED set up front and back and two steering servos and heavy duty drive line like the big Summit. I have 3 spur gears and atleast 10 different pinion gears but have to stop and do lots of work to change gears LOL Not sure i want to permanently lock my diffs yet but thicker diff grease would be good. kind of a limited slip axel.
    RUSTLER VXL & 1/16 SUMMIT tons of hop ups!!!

RC Racer
    the little summit is like the MERV or the 1/16 slash.

the big summit is a heavily modified big e-revo.
    Last edited by nogrip; 03-23-2011 at 09:35 PM.
    why replace it when you can tape it back together?

RC poster
    did the dual servos make a big difference?

RC Qualifier
    That was my complaint.. I have the Reg Summit, and bought the wife a Mini Summit.. man I was disappointed.. I did pick it up RTR new in box for 270.00 so I was not to mad but my wife doesn’t care for it much either. So about 5 months later with only 3 runs on it I took it to the track and was using it while my 1/10 Summit was charging, started jumping hills and playing and I have to say now that little thing is pretty cool, got good height and speed.. really impressed now. Broke a rear axle but that thing is pretty fin on Lipo. Guess with all the extra stuff that the 1/10 had would take away from the speed and bashing, the 1/10 summit requires a lot to be maintained with all the extra moving parts. I would just think I would be a royal pain to have to work on this little guy very often with all them small parts..
    No you cant drive it
    my RC is owner operated only

My guess is trying to cram all that stuff into a package the size of the mini Summit it would have killed reliability. When parts get smaller they tend to lose strength and I am thinking a tiny two speed tranny and locking diffs would have been very prone to failure and would have driven costs through the roof.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_uscg View Post
    That was my complaint.. I have the Reg Summit, and bought the wife a Mini Summit.. man I was disappointed.. I did pick it up RTR new in box for 270.00 so I was not to mad but my wife doesn’t care for it much either. So about 5 months later with only 3 runs on it I took it to the track and was using it while my 1/10 Summit was charging, started jumping hills and playing and I have to say now that little thing is pretty cool, got good height and speed.. really impressed now. Broke a rear axle but that thing is pretty fin on Lipo. Guess with all the extra stuff that the 1/10 had would take away from the speed and bashing, the 1/10 summit requires a lot to be maintained with all the extra moving parts. I would just think I would be a royal pain to have to work on this little guy very often with all them small parts..
    Sounds like you found where the mini Summit is happy. It is a great mini basher and will still crawl over some stuff that impresses me for sure. I seriously love my little Summit. I was blown away the from the first time i drove my mini Summit but i was driving it the way you are describing. It is the perfect mix of mini monster for my taste.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred22 View Post
    did the dual servos make a big difference?
    Yes it did help just not a huge difference. I know it has to be stringer with one pushing whine the other pulls instead of just one doing all the work. It was a simple plug and play and it looks really cool so im happy with the addition of the extra servo.