RC Enthusiast

Slash 4x4 vs 4x4 Ultimate

Thinking of buying a 4x4 Slash.

Is the Ultimate model worth the extra $$$?

RC Qualifier
    Personally, I would buy the regular 4x4 and replace parts as they fail. What is your driving style? Thats the main question, do you beat the heck out of your rigs or do you mainly just bash on yards and on the beach?
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2000kv
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2100kv

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG GUY View Post
    Thinking of buying a 4x4 Slash.

Is the Ultimate model worth the extra $$$?
    IMHO I think the ultimate is worth it - the parts supplied are bits that you WILL upgrade eventually at a much higher cost ;0)

The Time I Enjoy Wasting Is Not Time Wasted
    Time I enjoy wasting is not time wasted

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pede Pede View Post
    Personally, I would buy the regular 4x4 and replace parts as they fail. What is your driving style? Thats the main question, do you beat the heck out of your rigs or do you mainly just bash on yards and on the beach?
    We (me and my 13 yr kid) are noobs to rc. The main use will be yard/street/beach bashing.

Just a thought. Would it make sense to buy the non-ultimate model and with the "saved" money buy a VXL setup for our Grinder MT? or should we just buy the Ultimate model?
    Last edited by BIG GUY; 03-19-2011 at 10:42 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Well, given that information, I would buy the regular Slash. Thats the same driving style my younger brother has and why I recommended the same to him, it's also his first rc vehicle at age 20.

As far as upgrading the system your Grinder MT, I personally like the VXL brushless setups and have had no major issues (knock on wood) but others around here don't like the VXL esc. If I were in your shoes I would put a VXL setup in my truck if I was able to find a great deal on a combo on ebay. Otherwise, I would look at another setup in the same price range with a better reputation though you'll likely loose the water resistant "feature". Best of luck to you and your son, enjoy the hobby!
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2000kv
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2100kv

RC poster
    Definitaly go with the ultimate. The price you pay is worth it for the uPgrades you get.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Ultimate! Saves money. Spending it now for a package deal is the smarter route. Unless it will always be a stock truck. If your a yard basher, some of the upgrade will be on your short list eventually. Big bore shocks $45-60, front carriers $30, rear carriers $30, c block $40, center diff $35, sway bar set $25. I could be missing some parts and these are rough estimates but to me, almost all these parts go on my track out of the box! Just my preferences and I am a shiny part lover but, there are solid performance differences also.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

IMO the only have to upgrade are the driveshafts, at least from my experience, since the ultimate doesn't come with them, I would get the regular, and upgrade what you need, with what you want, instead of what TRX wants to give you. .
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG GUY View Post
    We (me and my 13 yr kid) are noobs to rc. The main use will be yard/street/beach bashing.
    Ok was also new to RC's about a year ago, bought the 13yr old kid the Std model. was so great within 3wks I bought the PE model for myself.

Within that time the std one had a few issues. When we compared both trucks. The PE was definetly worth it, it handles far better than stk, could be just sway bars but it works.

Now the only thing about the PE vs Ultimate is the PE comes with a clear body and you have to paint it (: , I cant get paint to stick at All.

Since then we have a 3rd truck, Std with alot of upgrades and castle MMM/2650

But the most reliable and still fun is the Kids PE version
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Competitor
    if you want some of the stuff on the ultimate then id say its worth it

RC poster
    I bought the standard 5 weeks ago and now really wished I had went to PE or Ultimate. It would have been cheaper since I've upgraded almost everything on the truck due to breakage.

RC Racer
    If you have the money..always get the best you can. The parts upgrade are worth it. On the other hand, I have the regular slash and haven't broken a thing in 2 weeks of everyday bashing....now that I say that something will break. LOL

RC Competitor
    IMO If you buy the regular then add the price to replace the springs at a minimum. If you are 2S racing then you might consider new shocks, center diff and sway bars but I don't think all the aluminum that comes on the Ultimate is a good idea.

Both trucks need new tires too. I guess my vote is for the regular, replace parts as needed but definitely replace at least the springs!

RC poster
    how should i set up my slash 4x4 for a carpet track?

RC Champion
    Steve slaydens set up is a good start point for all surfaces (see sticky above)

The Time I Enjoy Wasting Is Not Time Wasted
    Time I enjoy wasting is not time wasted