RC Enthusiast

I was going to buy an e-revo, but bought a slayer instead!

I was having a little trouble deciding which r/c to get next. There are a lot of monster sized r/c guys out where I live, and the slash just wasn't cutting it in the rough stuff. I needed something with the same handling characteristics as my slash, but more power. My slash was already fast, but out of control with the 3S lipo. I really like the durability of my s/c truck aswell as the look and performance. So instead of just being another clone and just getting an e-revo, I decided on the slayer. I will probably run it gas a few times while i wait to collect all of the parts for the conversion to electric. I've seen a few conversions here, but no build up (list of parts and cost). Also i was curious as to the quality or performance of these kits. What is best, going with the revo trans or aftermarket, which aftermarket? Any and all feedback will be much appreciated!
    Ultimate w/ lcg carbon fiber double chassis mod

RC Racer
    Congrats on the Slayer Pro, its a good racing platform. I used a Tekno conversions for mine, and use 4S / Castle 2200. The main problem you will have is using a SINGLE speed transmission if you want to use the ESC as the brake. I'm not sure about the revo or atm trans. I took my 2-speed apart and locked it into second, but having to go up on the spur and down on the pinion.

The tekno is a good kit, you get a good battery tray, but uses the original nitro brackets to hinge on. I'm saying with a simple aluminum motor mount, you could eliminate alot of weight. With the Tekno conversion, it still weights about 8.5lbs.

Here's a vid of my E-Slayer from last Saturday's race. Qualified LAST. 1st)Hyper10/2S....2nd)SC8e/4S....3rd)Slash4X4/2S....4th)me, ESlayerPro/4S. I also had a center fluid diff in mine, but just installed it with the included 100K oil. It kept breaking loose in the corners, so I'm going down to 10-20K in the center. (but checkout my move in the 3rd corner in. <G>)..... (btw, I'm on stock tires)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qBk_kAJprE

RC poster
    Ive got the first (thinner wheel width) slayer thats been converted to an E slayer. Im running the Tekno mount and using their Electric clutch. The electric clutch is awesome. Ive only run nitro and the feel is very smooth and temps are way down. Hardly even break 100 degrees on the motor/esc. Also i have not messed with the transmission and continue to run with 2 speed. I use a Novak HV Pro esc with an HV 5.5 motor on a 3S lipo.

I have no qualms with the two speed gearbox. I like the power balance because when i hit second its like a sudden boost of power (scares me every time haha). And first gear is perfect for my grass/street running. I have not shed any weight and i also have those proline bead locks (definately dont help with weight haha). And in a drag race with my friends savage with a .28 wasp were dead even all the way down the line. We have to be breaking at least 40+ mph.

I can account for the trucks durability. Multiple hard rolls and flips on pavement and ive yet to break anything. Also i been run over by the savage on a number of occasions... Nothing majorly weak to report.

But how do you guys like the Pro version (wider arms) versus the original. I have sway bars on mine and still i find myself trying to counter my 2 wheel turns...
    Last edited by privatesposato4; 03-14-2011 at 09:18 PM.

RC poster
    sorry double post....
    Last edited by privatesposato4; 03-14-2011 at 09:18 PM. Reason: double post

RC Enthusiast
    Sounds like a fairly easy conversion..I used to race and know that a good set up is key especially when it comes to the right tires so you can actually hook up. But, I am surprised they let you run in the same class as the 10 scale, as the pro has a major size advantage. Seems like it should be in the 1/8th scale class to me? Although I'm sure they wouldn't have an issue with the original in the 1/10 class. The pro has got to have some pretty nice stability in the corners with the wide track and all. It's supposed to arrive on friday and I will probably run a bottle of gas before converting it over. I like the spooled rear idea aswell, thanks for all of the great ideas, and be on the look out for my gas to hho conversion!

RC Racer
    You will like the SlayerPro stability. It feels like it is floating over stuff that would be bumpy for my Slash 4X4.
    Even though I lost to that Hyper10 in the video above, when I get the handling right, It'll have that stability advantage.

RC Enthusiast
    I know what you mean, I just ordered a 12"x24" plate of carbon fiber on ebay to make a custom lcg chassis for my slash. My gf has the rc10 t4.1, it's only two wheel drive but she kicks my butt at the track because of its sweet handling. Hopefully once I get the weight down where it should be I will finally be here with the 4x4 like it should. If the chassis works out, I might do the same for the slayer, can't wait to tear it up tomorrow.

RC Racer
    Just a heads-up on the SlayerPro conversion. The car that we WANT, an E-SlayerPro is not made by Traxxas. Theres TWO ways you can have one: 1)Convert the SlayerPro. You already have the body, arms, and links or 2)Convert the E-Revo. You already have the single-speed purpose-build transmission, but need the rest. (the motor bolts directly to the transmission)

I never considered the latter, I just bought the SlayerPro and made it an E-SlayerPro. It worked, its fast and its fun at 8.5lbs. Now I'm considering getting the E-Revo single-speed revo transmission and maybe the chassis and try the conversion from the E-REVO side. Here is a nice build from E-revo to E-Slayer..... http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...97#post4730897

RC Competitor
    I don't get it why would any one spend $419.00 on a Slayer Pro and then make it in to electric, the conversion I'm guessing cost about $200.00 now your at $619.00, the Slayer Pro is all most an 8 pound truck, there's a reason why they make the electric cars out of plastic because of the weight, I think your just going to burn up the electric motor if you make the Slayer Pro in to a eslayer.

RC Racer
    No, these Castle 8th scale systems on 4S can handle it just fine. They produce something like 3HP at the BEGINNING of the power curve. Many reasons to convert to electric for one, the track I race at is in a neighborhood and electric ONLY... and I'm trying to pioneer an 8th scale SCT class. lol. Look around on these forums, theres alot of project cars. People love to wrench, the build is half the fun. I've been known to completely dissassemble an RTR and put it back together as if it were a kit. (you can find alot wrong with RTR's). The conversion is more like $400 though. I'm not trying to dis nitros, they have their advantages too. You're right, the weight needs to be around 7lbs to be competitive with the buggies and 2S 4X4s.

RC Competitor
    I guess that's cool idea on what your going to do it seams like a lot of money on a conversion. I was at the RCX Expo yesterday and Traxxas was there doing a show with the with two Erevo and they were doing 20 feet in the air jumps with them, and when they hit the ground it sounded like a rock hitting the ground but they kept on running!!.

RC Racer
    Wish I could help more, I don't know what all the watt and amp numbers mean. I got the 2200 system on a friend's recommendation. This friend has also experimented with 5S and 6S which will make his truggy do BACKFLIPS over triples. I kid you not! The track we race on is fairly small, so I don't need that much. I ran 3S at first, fast but wasn't really "over the top" that I was looking for. 4S is about right, but you do have to have a fine touch on the trigger. You can use the castle program to limit it, or simply turn the EPA on the radio down.

The Tekno conversion will bolt on with little fabrication, but you will have to lock the transmission into a single speed. Another option is to leave the 2-speed alone but you'll have to keep the brake servo. I just bought an E-Revo single speed tranny tonight.... not sure if its going to bolt on or not.

I ran 15/36 last race with the transmission locked into second gear but it was way over-geared for the smaller track. I have 13/40 to try next weekend.

Sounds like you're almost "gone". lol. The reason the guys nitro friends hated him is because the brushless will have immediate torque from starts and off corners.