RC Racer

E-Revo Lighting?

I'm already thinking of ways to make my MERV cooler. I'm perfectly happy with it as it is, and I haven't even tried out the dual batteries, though I have an extra one. I'm just thinking how cool it would be to have LED headlights and brake lights. I'm not willing to spend $70+ on lights from rc-lights.com, and I've got some bright white and red LEDs left over from another project. I'd like to be able to plug the lights into the receiver, and have realistic brake lights. My question is, has anyone done this? Are there any tutorials available?

RC Racer
    Sorry for the stupid question. I guess the e revo's receiver probably couldn't power LED's could it?

RC Competitor
    I got the leds from lighthouse I think off ebay. $12 I think. It came with 4 red for the back and 2 white and 2 blue. Runs off a 9volt. I understand what you are saying about having real break lights but don't know if that would be possible. I think thetoyz.com has leds that plug into the receiver.

RC Competitor
    Where did you mount the 9 volt?

RC Champion
    You can take the power from a free slot on the receiver, it's a direct BEC connection (6V).
    To get "realistic" brake lights, you would need to buy an extra box with a circuit that will distinguish between braking and backwards driving. Those are pretty large, would be difficult to fit into the MERV.

RC Racer
    yeah, some vehicles must have that capability built into the receivers. Because rc-lights.com has some LED brake lights that plug into the receiver; thats where I got my idea. but then, those probably wouldn't fit in the merv either. I've thought about the 9 volt. i'd mount it to the inside top of the body shell, unless I saw a place somewhere else. You say the extra channels in the receiver are 6V connections? Then I'd have to put my LEDs in parallel, not series, i guess.

RC Competitor
    If I get the ones that plun in the reciever can I use them with the heatsink fan combo that also plugs into the batt slot on the reciever?

RC Racer
    Thanks for the tip speedstang. I went ahead and got that same set from rc-lighthouse on ebay. Now where can I mount my 9v battery that will be out of the way, yet handy? If I tape it to the inside of the body, it won't remove paint, will it? could I somehow use 3 3v coin cells, or would those have enough amperage?

RC Competitor
    Not really sure.....I pretty much just plug the battery in and let it lay in the compartment. I had the lights ziptied to the body and usually just run ashpalt so it wouldnt come out

RC Champion
    If ou have a spare battery tray, put the 9v in there and stick the wires throught the cooling vents.

RC Racer
    I'v always liked this guys setup... checkout #105, you may get some ideas, Good Luck!

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...rgentina/page3

RC Racer
    I have a set from 3 racing. It's an extra reciver type box that will control all your lights just like a real car even with turn signals.
    GO HARD OR GO HOME!

RC Racer
    Wow, that setup is really cool, e-revolver. Too bad I don't know anywhere near enough about those things to put a system like that together. I wonder if I could find a tutorial of some sort. FFS, is this the set you're talking about?
    http://os.3racing.hk/products.php?products_key=2761
    Looks great, but they're out of stock. Great price though.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MERVracer View Post
    Wow, that setup is really cool, e-revolver. Too bad I don't know anywhere near enough about those things to put a system like that together. I wonder if I could find a tutorial of some sort. FFS, is this the set you're talking about?
    http://os.3racing.hk/products.php?products_key=2761
    Looks great, but they're out of stock. Great price though.
    That's the one. I haven't had a chance to get it installed but I bench tested It and it works great. I got mine off eBay for less. Check out seller Dinball, lots of great stuff. Ship time to Canada is only 10 days, not bad.
    GO HARD OR GO HOME!

RC Racer
    I got a set of lights off ebay and installed them in the body today. They work great with a 9volt battery, but that's a little big and heavy. the seller said the resistors on the lights worked for up to 12v. so I can't plug them into the receiver if I'm using the 14.4 volt (2 batteries) setup. But I'm pretty happy with them anyway.

RC Racer
    Am I correct when I say that the battery slot in the receiver will supply 14.4 volts with two batteries? or does the voltage to and from the receiver stay constant at 7.2?

RC Champion
    Neither. The ESC has a BEC which transforms whatever input it gets down to 6v (otherwise you'd blow the receiver).. so everything you attach to the receiver gets 6v too.

RC Racer
    Hey, thanks! That's what i needed to know.