RC Competitor

Question Tunning the engine on a jato 3.3

The tunning guide page does not exist....

so i'm trying to tune my 3.3 engine, and several people have said to me that i should do it by the sound and the amount of smoke coming out the exhaust, no problem there, the thing is that this is my first nitro, so i have no idea how a properly tuned engine sounds like... and I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to make a video of their properly tuned engine running so i can hear how it sounds and compare it with my engine

so far i have a nice thick blue smoke coming out, but i was reading that it depends on the kind of fuel you are using, i'm using wildcat eliminator 20% nitro 14% oil... there is no top fuel available here, so that was the only fuel available at the time I purchased the car, and someone said to me that wildcat is a baaad fuel, i'm buying a galon of maxys 20% nitro now.

the temps are within the normal range 200 - 240 F however this past weekend i was doing some offroad and the engine went up to 270, i don't know if it was due to the stress of the offroad or I was running too lean, either way I riched it up a bit and the temps went down to normal again.

i did the pinch test and it was ok 3 secs and stop.

the car goes very fast shift to second gear and all, but i have no wheelies

i need your insights on this, and above all i need to hear how a fine tuned engine sounds.

Cheers

RC Champion
    I think every video, ive ever seen on you tube sounds essentially the same, so i dont really think that will help you. By your post it seems you have things well in hand as far as temps, smoke, etc. If you are at 200/220, and lsn pinch at 3 seconds, I believe I would stick with that. It takes a little time, but your ear will become attuned to the sound you are hearing, and you WILL be able to tell the difference between too little heat, and too much. I had a Rustler first, then a Revo, and now I have a Slayer and another Revo. I could never get my first Revo to wheelie. I now Know, that I just didnt know how to tune. Fortunately for me, I believe I was always on the rich side cause that engine lasted through two more people after I sold it. My advise to you, would be to be patient, dont worry about screaming performance just yet and get the nuances of these engines down, learn what breaks, get spare parts and have fun with the hobby. I think frustration kicks more people outta this hobby than anything. Hope this helps.
    P.S Traxxas support at 1888TRAXXAS is a great resource for questions you may have as well! Their tech guys are super helpful!
    Master of Traxxas engine longevity....

RC Competitor
    thanks man, i'll give a try to my patient side ajajja, after all i don't want to replace the engine too soon

RC Racer
    I agree....

Traxxas vids for the slayer are pretty good. IMO. As far as wheelies go, the slayer isn't really made to wheelie like other trucks. The weight and geo prevent it.

RC Competitor
    My maxx ran great but no wheelies, tightened up the spring loaded nut ( I think its called the slipper) and boom, wheelies.
    3906 emaxx 2.5tmaxx rustler