RC poster

Wink Burnt out flex tube HELP!!

Hey guys new to rc boats. Got my spartan a few weeks ago had a blast with it being stock. Ordered almost everything you can from Kintec racing, 5in rudder, added another trim tab with hr trim tab adjusters, hr turn fins, upgraded to the 3/16 flex Cable and flex tube with Teflon with the hr ball bearing strut. Went to West marine got a tube of marine grease. Looked up how to grease the flex Cable seemed straight forward. I greased it yesterday came to the lake today and went easy with it then install made a noise and opened the hatch it was smoking. The flex Cable Burnt up the Teflon and got so hot melted the plastic around it and into the servo. Will have to patch the servo up some how with apoxy. But don't know why caused it to do that. I put a nice simply S in the tube.

RC Qualifier
    explain the simple s in the tube?

RC Racer
    I just have to ask, but did you grease it after each run.

RC poster
    That was the first run since I put all the parts on. I researched a lot and everyone said an s in the flex Cable stops whip apposed to a U, so I basically did two bends, one straight from the motor then bent on an angle down, then back to straight out towards the strut. The grease like dried up all clumpy. Hardly any grease was kept on the flex Cable when I pushed it in, it all just got stuck on the strut and piled up. Idk if that's how it's supposed to be the tight. I have the stock tube was thinking of just running that one with no liner just the brass tube. It's just a little bigger than the flex Cable

RC Racer

Thumbs up

Running the 3/16 cable in the stock tube with no liner will work just fine. Do not put any more bends in the tube. You can tweak the bend that's already in the tube to help center the cable exiting at the coupler end but only slightly. Grease after every run and yes it looks like all the grease is coming off when you put it in.

RC poster
    Alright cool thank you for helping me. I think I might have to just grease it and put it in through the other end. Prob be a hassle.

RC poster
    Alright cool thank you for helping me. I think I might have to just grease it and put it in through the other end. Prob be a hassle.

RC Qualifier
    I run the stock size .150 cable from Jeff Wholts in both boats. My boat has a straight flex tube with the liner and my sons boat has a slightly bent tube with liner just as it comes from Traxxas. We have had hundreds of runs with these boats at speeds near 70 mph with out ever a failure. We grease every other run with Traxxas grease.

RC Qualifier
    All IMO; Make as few bends as possible in the tube. put grease on the cable from one end to another by hand. twist the cable as you put it in. Wipe off excess grease. Don

RC poster
    Yeah I think the problem was the ball bearing strut from hot racing. I put a good amount of grease on and the second I put it through it all caked up in front of the bearing pushing it all off. Im putting the boat back together today so I'll see how it goes. Thanks for the replys

RC poster
    Well just got done running the boat. I ended up switching out the hot racing ball bearing strut and putting the stock one back on. Had clearance putting the flex Cable in and didn't smear the grease off. I also see grim racer speed grease. The grease I used from the marine store literally clogged the hr strut up was all dried out. The upgrades made the boat ride amazing. Stock in perfectly flat water could hardly get it full throttle with out it starting to walk. Just ran it in rough water and went perfect. Thanks again for the help

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-11-2016 at 10:42 PM.

RC Champion
    I kept everything in my drive stock, except I dumped the Teflon tube. Then I use a brass tube that I soldered to my strut which slides up into the stock brass tube. I can't remember what size my brass stuffing tube is, but it's not hard to figure out. It's the size that lets the flex cable move freely with out any kind of a slap. And, its the size that lets you put it up into the stock stuffing tube.

I have great respect for girls in string bikini's.