RC Competitor

My Bigfoot Monster Truck Build

Yes, I know. We've all seen Bigfoot before and it was probably well overdone in the past, but it's still my favorite monster truck. What ruined it was the crappy Radio Shack-type Bigfoot RC's out there. Regardless, it's what I wanted to do, cause I still love it and it brings back memories for me. This is my first RC in about 20 years, so I was very excited to get back into the entire thing including painting the bodies and doing the upgrades. I can't wait until my 1-year old boy is old enough for this.

Here is a list of upgrades I have done so far:

• RPM Front & Rear A-Arms
    • RPM Front & Rear Shock Towers
    • RPM Slash 4x4 Bumper
    • RPM Body Mounts
    • Traxxas VXL-3s ESC Fan
    • Integy Motor Heatsink/Fan

Here is a list of what I have already purchased and will be putting on this weekend:

• Traxxas Aluminum Rear Stub Axles
    • Traxxas Clear Gear Cover
    • Traxxas Sway Bar Kit
    • RPM LED Canisters for Slash 4x4 Bumper
    • RC-Lights LED Kit
    • RC Screwz Stainless Steel Screw Kit

Finally, here is the evolution of the Bigfoot body from start to finish. I think it turned out pretty good considering how long it's been since I've done this:

It has been a ton of fun so far, and I'm glad to be back to the hobby!

Whether people like BigFoot or not you did a great job painting the body. It looks really good.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Whether people like BigFoot or not you did a great job painting the body. It looks really good.
    Thanks man, I appreciate that. It was good practice either way. I'm looking forward to trying something a bit more difficult. I really like the Jeep Rubicon body but I don't think it will fit based on the specs.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    What body is that? Its not my cup of tea but man does it ever fit your needs perfectly with the visor and rear piece. Nice job on the paint too... very nicely finished... I think a set of the new wheels and tires from the 2X4 gravedigger would be the perfect finishing touch for this. Use 4 front offsets and youll have a true copy of Big Foot. Who was also MY favourite monster truck back in the day.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    What body is that? Its not my cup of tea but man does it ever fit your needs perfectly with the visor and rear piece. Nice job on the paint too... very nicely finished... I think a set of the new wheels and tires from the 2X4 gravedigger would be the perfect finishing touch for this. Use 4 front offsets and youll have a true copy of Big Foot. Who was also MY favourite monster truck back in the day.
    It's the Parma Bigfoot '97 (#10199). Yea I can't wait for those tires to be available. It will definitely be a good match.

I like it. Lots of fond memories of Bigfoot. .

What's your intentions with the truck?

Looks like a shelf body to me
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by asheck View Post
    I like it. Lots of fond memories of Bigfoot. .

What's your intentions with the truck?

Looks like a shelf body to me
    Thanks! And that's a great question. I didn't intend to do any hardcore runs with it because of the work I put in and how it looked. I was just going to use the stock body and put this on occasionally. However, I basically have been keeping in on all the time now because I love the way it looks. Unfortunately I have done some damage to it in the last few runs, but at least I got pics of it beforehand! Plus, I'm always of the impression that some road wear gives it more character. I would love to build a "shelf only" body. I'm just looking for the perfect one.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jackjohnson View Post
    It's the Parma Bigfoot '97 (#10199). Yea I can't wait for those tires to be available. It will definitely be a good match.
    The wheels are on ebay already. I've only seen them in sets of front and rear for 50 bucks. You'll need all fronts for the 4x4.
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

RC Qualifier
    Rancho Tehama or Red Bluff area or California
    The body looks awesome untill you put it on the pede. I got to agree it needs the new tire wheel set up on it. Once you get the new tires, it should look perfect. Just thought of something. Flags? Didn't Bigfoot sometimes have flags on the back? Oh and they make a simulated driver for the short course trucks now. Will one of them fit in this truck?
    Last edited by nunster; 02-17-2011 at 02:24 PM.
    Broken parts=New better parts

Great thing, or maybe not, about bodies is you always need another one. As good as this one looks, I'll bet you have fun doing it, so tear it up, and have more fun.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by asheck View Post
    Great thing, or maybe not, about bodies is you always need another one. As good as this one looks, I'll bet you have fun doing it, so tear it up, and have more fun.
    Agreed!

Anyone know if this proline crawler body will fit the pede? I think the wheelbase is off:

http://prolineracing.com/bodies/jeep...on-clear-body/

RC Qualifier
    sweet BF!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jackjohnson View Post
    Thanks man, I appreciate that. It was good practice either way. I'm looking forward to trying something a bit more difficult. I really like the Jeep Rubicon body but I don't think it will fit based on the specs.
    Wow, terrific paint job! I love the way that body fits and am now thinking of getting one.

I also want a Jeep Rubicon body, I think It would look amazing on this truck. I already know what color I want for it as well. I'm stopping by my LHS tonite to see if they have one on hand and try it out. If you get one before me, post up info on it. We may have to get a new rear mount and add some spacers to it or something. We'll male it work lol.

Edit- I was also trying to take care of my stock body since I added lights to it. Well, lights are still on but paint is peeling and also has scuffs. It happens lol.
    Last edited by Pede Pede; 02-18-2011 at 07:13 AM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Pede Pede View Post
    Wow, terrific paint job! I love the way that body fits and am now thinking of getting one.

I also want a Jeep Rubicon body, I think It would look amazing on this truck. I already know what color I want for it as well. I'm stopping by my LHS tonite to see if they have one on hand and try it out. If you get one before me, post up info on it. We may have to get a new rear mount and add some spacers to it or something. We'll male it work lol.

Edit- I was also trying to take care of my stock body since I added lights to it. Well, lights are still on but paint is peeling and also has scuffs. It happens lol.
    Yea I love the BF body. It was a pain to trim though. The spoiler pieces suck to trim and get smooth. I don't even use the rear piece anymore as it always pops off after flipping. It still looks good with only the front spoiler though.

As for the rubicon body, my concern is that is stays "Fits 12.3" Wheelbase Rigs". The Stampede specs show a 10.63" wheelbase. I'm not sure how the wheel wells are going to line up. Let me know when you get back from the LHS. If this bad boy lines up and will work, I'm all over it!

Just curious, what were you thinking for paint scheme?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-23-2011 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Language

RC Qualifier
    Ahh, nothing special on the paint scheme. I was planning on making an NYPD jeep truck using the old school colors with lights in honor of my younger brother that's on the force. But seeing how roof lights tend to break off I was going to imbed some lights along the front and rear windows sorta like a detective vehicle. I was going to be my basher body but I may have to look elseware if the jeep body won't fit. It's too bad, the rpm rims I currently have would have look sick with a jeep body.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Pede Pede View Post
    Ahh, nothing special on the paint scheme. I was planning on making an NYPD jeep truck using the old school colors with lights in honor of my younger brother that's on the force. But seeing how roof lights tend to break off I was going to imbed some lights along the front and rear windows sorta like a detective vehicle. I was going to be my basher body but I may have to look elseware if the jeep body won't fit. It's too bad, the rpm rims I currently have would have look sick with a jeep body.
    That's a great idea. Did you check out the body for fitment last night?

RC Qualifier
    The Jeep body? No, Im going to my LHS to see if they have it. I'm going either tonite if j get out on time or tomorrow morning. Sorry if my last post made it seem as if I did, I was mainly going by the dimensions you posted.

RC Competitor
    No worries. Just let me know what you find, thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Ok, just an update. I stopped by my LHS and thats a negatory on the HPI wrangler body, they don't have one in stock. Owner told me he does not think it will fit well. I don't care, I'm officially looking around to find a deal on one. I want to try and make it work. May take me awhile to find one at a discounted price, I'm going cheap on this one lol.

RC Competitor
    Well thanks for looking. Let me know if you ever get a hold of one and how it works out.

Man, almost very cool... For me, it is just cool.

Very nice job with the paint, but the bug guard, visor and the thing behind the cab would have to go...
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired