RC poster

1/16 Summit VXL or 1/16 E-Revo VXL

Who knows which one is better to get for just plain bashing and doing jumps.
    I don't care about the price difference I just want to know the plain differences between the two.
    Thanks.

RC Racer
    Just going off of what I've seen, I like the revo better. Handles better, ground, air and track.
    The summit for what I've seen is kick butt but seems to break more on the same things. Yes it has better clearance but at a cost.. Just my $0.02

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    the summit is a erevo with hcg, bigger tires and a little bit slower. I think both can work good for your purpose but if you want a speed demon get the erevo.

RC poster
    friend would you no why me new 1/16 erevo wont go. brand new and no go. hand con lights up green, esc lights up green n turns red, blak box on car continiously flashing red. im stuk.

turn the esc off by disconnecting the battery and turn off the transmitter. then turn the transmitter on make sure the led is not flashing on the transmitter and new batteries are in there, then connect battery, then turn on the esc hold down until light comes on then quickly release and see if it turns on red led. if it doesnt then disconnect the servo and try the throttle if it doesnt go then it might be your esc defective i would call traxxas customer support, if it works then it might be your servo is bad. hope this helps
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by k8a8n8e View Post
    Who knows which one is better to get for just plain bashing and doing jumps.
    I don't care about the price difference I just want to know the plain differences between the two.
    Thanks.
    I checked out you tube and watched some reviews. I decided on the revo. got a much better review all around. But what it comes down to is what do you like. Check out the summit review though it made up my mind for me.
    GO HARD OR GO HOME!

RC Qualifier
    Cool, except your in the wrong forum for rustler vid's. This is the 1/16 revo/slash forum... Jus' sayin

RC poster

Erevo mini vs Summit mini

I'm totally confused. I like speed and off-road capability.I know Summit mini is good for me but I need the extra 10mph speed that e-revo mini has! So I need to know whether it is possible to change the pinion gears to change its overall gear ratio (15:1) to that of the e-revo mini (9:1). Changing this gear ration will obviously enhance its speed, but will the mini summit be able to handle this? If not which materials should I replace to enable this conversion?

If this gear ratio conversion is possible, certainly Summit mini would be my choice.
    Last edited by RC-Freak; 05-29-2011 at 09:53 AM.

RC Champion
    Trying to get the Summit VXL to get higher speeds with the gear ratio of the MERV is going to end up in overheating.
    Just accelerate, and only good will come.

RC poster
    Why is that? Isn't both the trucks similar except for mini summit's longer rocker arms and larger wheels?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Freak View Post
    Why is that? Isn't both the trucks similar except for mini summit's longer rocker arms and larger wheels?
    Because the 1/16 Summit has larger, heavier tires, it has to have a lower gearing. The MERV has a larger gearing because the tires are smaller and less heavy, putting less stress on the motor and ESC with its gearing.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Freak View Post
    I'm totally confused. I like speed and off-road capability.I know Summit mini is good for me but I need the extra 10mph speed that e-revo mini has! So I need to know whether it is possible to change the pinion gears to change its overall gear ratio (15:1) to that of the e-revo mini (9:1). Changing this gear ration will obviously enhance its speed, but will the mini summit be able to handle this? If not which materials should I replace to enable this conversion?

If this gear ratio conversion is possible, certainly Summit mini would be my choice.
    You can go to like a 45t spur gear, and a 19t pinion, i use that set up, does get hot faster, so i went back to the factory 50t pinion gear. but i'm gonna buy one of those heat sinks with a fan, that should make it fine, some people go on up to 21-25 or more for a pinion, i guess they stay with the 50t on the trans. just mix and match, you wont loose a whole lot of off the line, if you set up the slipper clutch, you should be able to take of hard, not flip, and get the top speed or more of the merv. thanks

RC Competitor
    I would buy the summit for bashing offroad for offroad/onroad e-revo for sure

The best thing is to buy the summit + erevo tieres

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by xgo View Post
    The best thing is to buy the summit + erevo tieres
    Didn't you buy the summit tires and put them on your MERV, not buy the summit and put MERV tires on it? That would make more sense.

RC Competitor
    the summit tieres are more expensive then the mervs :P

RC Competitor
    Personally, I love my MERV. I was thinking about getting the Summit to because of the extra ground clearance, but I'd rather have the extra speed since I spend only spend half the time bashing off road. All i can say is, I'm happy with my choice, but sometimes I do wish I had that extra ground clearance.

RC Racer
    Just get both.....Thats what I did

RC Competitor
    I have the merv big blocked with summit tires, Gives it a bit more oomph to get over obstacles and such.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by miniREVO22 View Post
    Personally, I love my MERV. I was thinking about getting the Summit to because of the extra ground clearance, but I'd rather have the extra speed since I spend only spend half the time bashing off road. All i can say is, I'm happy with my choice, but sometimes I do wish I had that extra ground clearance.
    You can always change your MERV rockers to 1/16 Summit rockers and you'll get the 1/16 Summit's ground clearance!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MMMSummit View Post
    yeah! get both! then put 1/10 system on them and dont worry about gearing or heat!

RC Racer
    i would go with the merv, the summit is fun but flips a lot. i lower my summit to about what the merv is when im on the street. here is a picture just to show what the summit can do

1/16 summit(stock)

RC Qualifier
    Im gettting a MERV i already have a 1/10th summit almost all RPM parts i want a speedy 1/16th so i can put it on my summit trailer but still have a all around fun little rig. Im gonna go over to the hobby shop in a bit and pick up a brushed MERV ill upgrade brushless later LOL. Ill buy RPM parts with the 50 bucks i save from buying a brushed motor. Ill post up some pics when i get it and tell you how i like it.
    Slash rocks!!!

RC poster
    the merv is great it has tons of power and is really good except for the drive shafts, i have popped mine a few times already. I think the summit and merv have the same driveshafts so you wont save anything there, if you want more off road put summit tires on and gear i down or go all the way and change the toe links and shocks and body and whatever else. you cant go wrong between the two as they are so similar you can just convert to the other.
    Rookie to Rookie

RC Enthusiast
    How often do the driveshaft assemblies break on either truck? The mini Summit's driveshafts are slightly more and it is usually the upper or lower part sold separately. Where as the Merv appears to have better build driveshafts particularly around the joints and are cheaper when they do break.

RC poster
    I would go with the MERV for sure. High speed and off road is where it's at.

RC Qualifier
    bro just go and buy what looks better on the box :P, they are the same and would cost you maybe a total of 20-30$ to convert...
    but personaly i would go MERV way, the summit is only off-road, it is like a block with wheels on-road but the MERV can do both very nicely... just get some stronger springs and you will have enough riding height.

RC Qualifier
    I had both, until I converted my mini revo to a mini summit. Drove my mini revo for years and loved it... one drive of a mi I summit was all it took to convince me to do the conversion....

IMO what it comes down to is this:
    Do you like to drive on road more than off road?
    Are speed runs on pavement your thing?
    Do you have a groomed track to drive on?
    If the answe're to those questions is yes, a mini revo is for you.

On the other hand:
    Do you like to drive on grass?
    Do you like to drive off road more than on road?
    If yes the summit is for you. ...
    Dacaur

RC Qualifier
    but like i said summit is off-road only RC, the mini e-revo is a hybrid so i think it will be better to get the mini e-revo and look how it is for you off-road, everybody has its own way of bashing.

You guys realize that this thread is almost 3 years old right?

That said, I vote MERV!
    Slash 4X4 Platinum / Mini E-Revo VXL

RC Qualifier
    Sure but it's just as relevant today as it was in 2011
    Dacaur

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MMMSummit View Post
    Yep same here...
    nutty like a squirrel turd....!!!!!

RC Racer
    Ya I'm looking at a 1/16 e revo. Are there better drive shafts I can get? And what the best place to buy one?
    the only thing more fun than bashing is upgrading!

RC Qualifier
    I would stick with the stock shafts until you start breaking them... I have never broken one.... Summit shafts, now that's another matter entirely....
    Dacaur

Just by both LOL

RC Racer
    Revo has always been a hybrid, kinda a bridge between (unless you want to drop down to a 15t pinon and crawl around) It is still a monster truck at heart, and yeah, it can take a beating. I haven't bashed it much but I've made it accidently cart-wheel about 20 times when I was testing a speed run on stock tires....talk cringing with each time it hit the ground.

Still was fine. E-revo to me is the perfection of monster truck and stadium truck, you get bashing ability + all the speed and jumping ability (and so far durability, my last R\C was the E-maxx with the dual 750 motors (they are HUGE, but brushed).

TBH the only thing I would think about if I looked back at my purchase would be the HPI Savage XS Flux, but that isn't even a mini, it's more like a 1\12 over a 1\16 (it does not use mini-components) but it can do 65 MPH out of the box, though no one ever drives it that fast as it just flips over. Regardless I prefer the MERV due to the fact it can handle high-speeds, the XS Flux if you even try to turn at 35+ you wreck, dunno what HPI was going for, but it is NOT a MINI, the E-Revo VXL is a "REAL" Mini (mini batts, chassis\etc)

This in terms of 1\16th, yeah, get the Revo, it's insanely fast for the size even stock on Lipo. I had to mention the Flux XS though as it is trying to screw with the 1\16 Traxxas models though it uses full size, and they claim "THE WORLD'S FASTEST
    MINI-MONSTER TRUCK" but honestly Traxxas makes nothing in that size, so it's a bit unfair. And that truck is def not a 1\16, it's I guess a 1\10 or 1\12, as it uses full-size esc\motors and esc, kinda a cheater, though the 65+MPH is impressive, it's a . . . monster truck.

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-09-2015 at 07:49 AM.