RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

T Bone skidplate problem and solution

Hey guys, just installed my T Bone skidplate and rear bumper. The rear bumper mounts up nicely. But the skidplate has an issue. Im not sure if anyone else whos installed this part has had the same problem but I had to modify mine to get it to work.
    First, the servo guard wont fit with the skidplate. I have no emotional attachment to the servo guard... but thats not the rear problem. The skidplate will actually contact the servo saver arm... if you install the skidplate OVER the servo guard it flexes up enough to clear, but then its all flexed and not flat... doesnt look right. If you remove the servo guard to stop the flexing the skidplate rubs the servo linkage.

So, I just cut my skidplate off where it was contacting the servo and just continue to use the servo guard. Heres some pics.

This problem seems like a pretty big oversight... and im not overly impressed with the fitment due to that issue. Asside from this issue the bumper fits and works perfect. I really like that part and I do like the skidplate idea... I just wish it had been trimmed to clear everything. Someone else mentioned that they felt the whole system would limit down travel and it certainly does. I dont know how this will effect the cars performance... if its a big negative ill take it off... I also HATE the phillips hardware... its just junk. The heads of the screws are already slipping after only one installation. They should be black hexs for sure.

I wish they made just a rear bumper that replaced the rear skidplate so it didnt stick down anymore but still had the bumper integrated. I like the bumper, the skidplate isnt necessary on this car IMO... But I dont think it would be a good idea to use the rear bumper without the skidplate the way its made now... it would stick WAY down and get caught on stuff for sure.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i agree, i think they should use hex hardware.....

wow, you should contact them and forward this thread... sounds pretty major

i love my tbone, but that is on my merv.....

I would think this problem would be exactly the same on a merv... did it not contact the steering linkage? I assume you had to remove the servo guard but then the skid would flex in too far and hit the screw head of the linkage... or was mine just not moulded right... sure looked right to me though.

After ripping around with this thing this week, along with Jakey and his Rally, I dont think the extra weight and limited down travel is worth it. I really really like the rear bumper part and will be trying to find a way to use just that... but the centre skid plate is really unecessary for a rally... it doesnt get jumped so skid protection is kind of pointless... I also dont like how it fits. So, im going to remove it and try to find a way to just use the rear bumper.... ill post pics if I figure out a good way.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The t-bone for merv comes with hex screw, don't know why they change those. Looking at the pic I guess you can use the rear piece alone, they are two different pieces right?

They are, but the way the bumper is mounted... it sticks down, lower than the bottom of the chassis with a straight leading edge. If I ever hit a bump and the leading edge hit the ground it would catch for sure. Im going to see how I can fix this. I can see how the skid plate would be great on a merv... but on a rally, I really dont see the point. My rally has 20 packs through it or so (before winter came) and no one scratch on the bottom.

RC Racer
    Anyone know if they have fixed the issue with the servo being rubbed by the Tbone skidplate?
    Stampede vxl
    Rustler vxl
    Monster Mutt vxl

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amirath View Post
    Anyone know if they have fixed the issue with the servo being rubbed by the Tbone skidplate?
    I guess you can dremel around, I had to do it on my merv the front bumper was rubbing against the arms.

RC Enthusiast
    I have two fitted one on a KB and the other on a Rally. Other than the screws being junk the rest all fit well. They sent me the wrong Spacers on the first one. Make sure you have the correct spacers between the bottom and the skid plate. Have Fun!
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 02-02-2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Language

RC Racer
    Wow if I am payin what they are askin for these parts for my rally and merv, i would like to not have to dremmel them and have them fit correctly when i got them
    Stampede vxl
    Rustler vxl
    Monster Mutt vxl

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Quote Originally Posted by Amirath View Post
    Wow if I am payin what they are askin for these parts for my rally and merv, i would like to not have to dremmel them and have them fit correctly when i got them
    AMEN! Glad I did not buy it. They are overpriced.

RC Enthusiast
    That doesn't look like a stock servo guard? Could it be the aftermarket servo guard is the issue?

The aftermarket guard is exactly the same size and shape as the stock one. Seems to me that they may have sent the wrong spacers... that very well could have been the case. either way, a rally really doesnt need the full skid plate, just the rear bumper is enough. I have removed both and dont really miss them.

RC Competitor
    After replacing the chassis x2, and the bulkheads x3, I am happy to have the rear bumper. I agree that the phillips hardware and the main skid plate are not good decisions. I have taken off the main skid plate and use the rear bumper only with no modifications and its fine. I play on basically smooth pavement, not totally clean, but no huge cracks and not really many places where the pavement rises too high for the bumper to catch on. I don't have any problems with the bumper lip not being beveled, although That would be better.