Thread: Battery Weight

RC Qualifier

Battery Weight

I am looking at some new batteries for my Spartan for increased runtime and higher c rate and was looking at some batteries. They are 8000 mah dual core batteries and have 150c rate. I was wondering if the extra weight of the higher capacity batteries would effect performance. And if so how much? Any replies would be appreciated thanks!
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 05-02-2014 at 09:01 PM.
    Powered by Castle.....

RC Qualifier
    More weight can definitely affect performance, both speed, and handling.

With the spartan, a bit more weight can help settle the chine walk a bit, but more weight generally means the boat sits lower in the water, creating more drag on the hull, reducing top speed.

Depending on how much weight, you can compensate with a more rearward battery position.

I ran with 4 batteries a few times, boat was stable, and although far from slow, it was more sluggish in the turns, was slower out of the hole and didn't accelerate as quickly, and slower top speed as well.

4 batteries is significantly heavier, and no room for battery positioning as both trays are pretty much full.
    A bit different scenario than just a single set of large batteries, but gives you an idea on what may be affected.

hog

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for your opinion hog! Also did you have the four batteries all working at once or were the other two just there for the test?