Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

1969 Monster Energy WCC Camaro - Traxxas Limited Edition - VIDEO & INFO

What's up Traxxas forums?

My name is Jared Guynes. I have been a Traxxas owner off and on for a few years now. Professionally I am sponsored by Monster Energy and recently came across a new RC car that I think some of you guys may have heard about. The car is the 1969 Monster Energy WCC Camaro - Traxxas Limited Edition. Here is a pic of when they handed it to me in the box.

Then me taking it out of the box...

All the goodies I got that night...

The car next to a KBVXL

You will notice the wheels, tires and suspension are the same.

Of course, I could not have that lame blue antennae, nor the brushed motor. So without having ever turned it on, I bought some goodies.

Now the car is essentially the Ken Block Rally Car with a different color wheels and a custom shell.

I tried the car on a 3S lipo, and the speed was too much to control. The rubber flew off the tires, it was nearly wrecking... it was too much. I chose to just double up on the stock NIMH batteries and run them in parallel for more run time.

Now then, just for giggles, here is my 1:1 scale car.

I can give you guys a little more info on the WCC 69 Camaro.
    -The car was made in extremely limited edition
    -The model is not for sale
    -The model was only given to Monster Sales Reps via Coke/Monster
    -The car was intended to be a 100% marketing tool, as a reward to vendors, or as a way to coax deals. It was NOT meant to be taken home by sales reps who are greedy and misusing their power to be given to their children. It was NOT meant to ever be sold on E-Bay.
    -You can expect the 69 Camaro shell to be offered by Traxxas at sometime in the future as a naked shell. They paid GM the licensing rights for the cast.
    -There might be less than 100 of these in existence, but I am not sure.

I am working on a video for you guys right now to show it in more detail. If you all have any questions, post up.

-Jared
    Summit MMM
    http://www.facebook.com/jguynes

RC poster
    Very nice but, I have seen these on ebay..

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by n8dawg1290 View Post
    Very nice but, I have seen these on ebay..
    Yeah, and if Monster figures out who is selling them, some people can be in deep doo-doo. You could offer me $1k right now for mine and I would not sell it. For Monster to give reps tools to do their job, and then see them just sell them on ebay is essentially stealing. Giving them to their own friends or family is essentially stealing too. These things were never meant to be sold, but then again I guess everyone sells everything.
    Summit MMM

RC Champion
    You are very lucky....
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Champion
    i would use the brushed setup. as many others would.
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

RC Racer
    Why? Whats the advantage of that motor?
    Summit MMM

RC Qualifier
    no advantage.... the brushed motor/esc is slower and less durable.

but instead of buying the velineon system full price you should have "powered up" to the VXL system on the cheap.

same goes for the radio.

But I guess if you got the model gratis you are already ahead of the game.....

If I were you id remove the stock wheels/tires and body, store them in your underwear drawer and get a standard rally body/wheels for using it
    Traxxas please sell kits!

RC Racer
    Hey,

I did indeed do the "upgrade" on all the components. Got out for about $190 for everything.

I agree with the stock body, but I cannot find one anywhere loose. Makes me not want to play with it. And I also am picking up some new Traxxas wheels for street use since I dont want to damage these limited edition ones. I am likely going to buy a Ken Block car in a week or so so that I can have two to mess around with. Believe it or not the Ken Block car is not available to Monster to give away for free! I will however, have 10 of these 69's from the OP to give away myself at events I am at through out the year. I will be doing the give-aways at car shows and on facebook.
    Summit MMM

RC Competitor
    It's really cool that u post here Jared. If I was sponsored by monster, I'd probably be too busy winning races and dating the models! Can I be sponsored if I promise to put a monster sticker on my Rally?

RC Qualifier
    Gimme one plz

RC Qualifier
    Nice car. Why did you go with the 380 brushless motor and esc instead of using the 540 size velineon and bigger esc? The motor would be a direct mount but you might have to figure out some space for the esc. The 380 is a strong little motor but the little esc has a tendency to cook fairly easily (at least that's been my experience wih it). Anyway thanks for sharing it with us and enjoy the perks of your job.

RC Competitor
    I'd be curious as to how well the brushed version would have been. My favorite is 2s lipo. I've gotten used to driving 3s becuz I have a bunch of batts but 3s really is too much if u want to drift. I hope that video gets posted soon. I bet that camaro body looks pretty cool!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigken View Post
    It's really cool that u post here Jared. If I was sponsored by monster, I'd probably be too busy winning races and dating the models! Can I be sponsored if I promise to put a monster sticker on my Rally?
    Im not Ken Block. Most people have never heard of me, but that might change some in 2011 with the events we have planned. I still work full time like anyone and my "Monster Stuff" is only at nights and on weekends. I have had a ton of fun with it thought man. I have a website with a ton more pics and video if you are interested. www.monstercamaro.net

Quote Originally Posted by _jono_ View Post
    Gimme one plz
    I dont know what the rules are here on the Traxxas forums, but I would love to give you all a shot at winning one when I have one to give away.

Quote Originally Posted by DKO View Post
    Nice car. Why did you go with the 380 brushless motor and esc instead of using the 540 size velineon and bigger esc? The motor would be a direct mount but you might have to figure out some space for the esc. The 380 is a strong little motor but the little esc has a tendency to cook fairly easily (at least that's been my experience wih it). Anyway thanks for sharing it with us and enjoy the perks of your job.
    I have done the "bigger, bigger, bigger" thing before. I sank $1600+ into a Summit. Before too long I had a Summit that could run 70mph, had 12" tires, Dual 3S 8000mah batteries and much, much more. What i found was that when you have something like a MMM in a car, you break stuff. Faster and bigger is NOT always better. My car was down more than it was up, and I got tired of fixing it all the time from the breaks due to all the power. I am not going to be running Lipos on this car. I ran a 3S on it when I converted the motor last week, and even with just that the speed was more than I care to deal with. I was trying just to control the car, and it was nearly flipping, crashing, and damaging the wheels and tires. I dont have time for all that mess. I just wanted a basic little upgrade from the brushed system.

My job is not with Monster. But yeah, I suppose you could say "perks or your sponsorship".

Quote Originally Posted by Bigken View Post
    I'd be curious as to how well the brushed version would have been. My favorite is 2s lipo. I've gotten used to driving 3s becuz I have a bunch of batts but 3s really is too much if u want to drift. I hope that video gets posted soon. I bet that camaro body looks pretty cool!
    Yeah thanks. I got some new wheels for it last night so that I wont damage the special edition ones.

Summit MMM

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I
    Want
    One

That is all... thanks for looking.

RC Qualifier
    I would love to have one to, guess if I had a $500.00 laying around I could
    http://cgi.ebay.com/TRAXXAS-MONSTER-...item2a0d7231ba

Limited edition is an understatement at those prices!!!
    Guess I will have to wait on the body to be released!!
    MMP-NEU 1112 1.5D 4S MERBE
    BEAST MODE [ON] OFF

RC Racer
    Crooks. Money is not supposed to buy you this gift...

Don't wait to have $500. That's silly. Instead identify opportunities to win one yourself for free and go after it.
    Summit MMM

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    The body is all I need ≈))

RC Racer
    Just be patient. Soon the body will come on it's own from Traxxas themselves.
    Summit MMM

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    are you sure? other "real" bodies would be nice also.

RC Qualifier
    yea bro...true that. if they made a sti body... bmw m3... stuff like that ill buy them..

RC Racer
    I dont know about others. But I know on the box that Traxxas has paid GM to use its image. Thats not cheap. They would not have done that for a 100 only batch of special edition shells. No way in fact. Business sense says you can count on them to get their moneys worth from the licensing fee they paid at some point.
    Summit MMM

RC Competitor
    Hobby shop guy said today that he talked to Traxxas. I think he said Fiestas, Ken Blocks, and Mustangs are coming. I can't remember what dates for which, but he said March and April. I'm gonna have to believe the Camaros would be coming out too around then.

RC Racer
    And there you have it.
    Summit MMM

RC Enthusiast
    i sure hope the camaro gets released, got no chance of winning crap when you live down under.
    69 is the best one to own in real life as well.

This car will never be for sale from Traxxas! The Monster bodies were handpainted and the elves are tired!

Quote Originally Posted by majestic View Post
    This car will never be for sale from Traxxas! The Monster bodies were handpainted and the elves are tired!
    I understand that the monster version will not be released...
    Will the clear camaro body be released??? Or any other bodies besides the fiesta and original rally body?

RC Racer
    Of course it wont. But the the GM seal of approval on the box itself, it's hard to think that TRAXXAS would not use the MOLD they must have paid to have got made for some... mass-market use. It would be a waste. Although, I must add that you need a modified foam bumper (the one on my WCC car fits the camaro shell like a glove).

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    I understand that the monster version will not be released...
    Will the clear camaro body be released??? Or any other bodies besides the fiesta and original rally body?
    I would count on it. But what do I know...

Unlike most of you guys, I can actually get into my real monster energy car and drive 15 minutes up to TRAXXAS headquarters. Maybe someone in that big glass office by the service door will know some answers...
    Summit MMM

What if the GM license was based on a set number being produced? Replacement bodies are not available.

RC Racer
    What if the GM license was based on a set number being produced? Replacement bodies are not available.
    That would put a large dent into my hopes and dreams. It would also make me heavily regret having flipped my camaro 5+ times now on hard asphalt.... LOL. Im not out there to get rich, a toy is a toy (even a very expensive one) and a Traxxas car is made to be played with. However, if it is true that XXX amount were made (my sources say about 100) total, then I regrettably admit that this is indeed a collectors item, and should simply remain in the box sealed.

WITH THAT SAID, I was informed by my people at Monster today that I am getting 3-5 more of these things to give away to "the people" on behalf of Monster. So as soon as they are in my hands and I am told how I am allowed to give them out, I will share that with you all so that Traxxas fans have a shot at a WCC Traxxas Camaro.
    Summit MMM

I can tell you 100% that they ARE limited.

RC Champion
    all owners will have to keep them mint. just to see if they are released at some point. lol
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

Majestic, will Traxxas making anything other than what they have advertised so far? Hope so...

RC Racer
    Mine is NOT mint. LOL. I drive the crap out of it...
    Summit MMM

rag6 - Are you referring to new products or 1/16th stuff?

RC Enthusiast
    What about ken block bodies or are those limited too. Just curious

For once they released a cool replica body and it's limited... I'm not happy...
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

Bodies for the rally...I know you said the Monster camaro version will not be released, but will the body? Also any other body would be great also. Right now we have the original generic rally style, the fiesta, and the stang. slash will fit, and am assuming the summit will also. Lunchbox and mid pumpkin will fit. Thats 3 cars and 2 trucks and 1 van. Have not seen the aftermarket jump to make any so, was wondering if Traxxas has plans to support this new scale and footprint with some more body options, or are we limited to what is on the table now?

I just picked up a parma mid pumpkin and it fits perfectly.
    Majestic, I sent you a VM.

Would it be possible to have a few more pictures? One from the rear for example and a few close-ups of the front and sides...

Thanks!

Daniel.

He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

RC Racer
    Yeah, I can take those shots for you today with my SLR.

While you wait, here are some pics of my 1:1 scale toy.

Summit MMM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast