Thread: Motor Question

RC poster

Question Motor Question

will the titan 775 fit in my pede?
    im looking a a motor replacement cause the 12T isnt good. :P
    not too expensive either..
    Thanks

RC Enthusiast
    I use the venom fireball 17d, tower hobbies has them cheap.on my last new pedei blew up the titan 550 in 2 packs

RC Racer
    im putting the 3rd titan 12T in my daughters.traxxas has been good about replacing them.the first one lasted a day the second 2 weeks..this is going to be the last one.went brushless in mine and have had no problems

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The 775 will not fit in your pede without modifications. Its a HUGE motor and is very heavy. It will hurt the handling of your truck also.

Youve said the Titan 12T "isnt good". Whats not good about it? Not fast enough? Did it die on you? Knowing what you dont like about it will help us suggest a different option.

An Electrifly S600 from tower will be a reliable replacement that will perform similar to the titan (if you gear it up just a bit). it tends to run a bit cooler (so it can handle slightly taller gearing) and seems to last a long time. The Venom fireball motors are cheap, but known to run extremely hot. There are other 540 size motors out there that are higher performance than the titan and are rebuildable but will need brushes and to have maintenance done every so often. They are also more expensive.

By the time you spend the money on a high end brushed motor, your more than half way towards a complete brushless setup. By the time you sell your XL5 ESC your more than 3/4 of the way toward a brushless setup. Its better to just save up a bit more and get a brushless setup than replace your brushed titan with an expensive brushed motor.

RC poster
    Thanks for the suggestions and yeah i was kinda lookin into a brushless system but ive burnt out 2 motors already.... i mainly use it on gravel and dirt which is part of it....

(edit) Would this work? Venom Racing 15x2 Fireball Motor
    i dont really understand what the number of turns mean?
    Last edited by tanner29; 01-12-2011 at 03:12 PM.

The maintenance required by a brushless motor system borders on negligence. Iow, they're virtually maintenace free, particularly when compared to a brushed system. With regard to burning up a brushless motor, I doubt you'll have to worry to much about that. It can happen, but only if you subject the motor to some serious abuse--running to much voltage, or you're WAY overgeared. The fact that there are few accounts of people burning up a Velinion motor says it all imo.
    99%er

RC poster
    i get that but kinda tight on money

RC Qualifier
    Hi Tanner,
    What they are saying is you can sell your XL-5 ESC for about $25. If you stay brushed and run often you could potentially go through 3 motors this year alone. That's about $75. One way or the other you are going to spend more money. May as well dig in the couch and invest now. Less time spent on the sidelines....

RC Enthusiast
    I am sorry but the traxxas 20t stinger motor is way better than the titan 550.

Tanner- I was suggested from a friend to use the 17d ,I think the 15 is more for onroadish,lol...I guees you could try the 15 turn but i think you wil get a lil more run time.tourque out of a 17d...thats my opinion

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by P8ntball View Post
    Have you used a Titan 550 P8? Those 20T brushed motors are sloooooowwwwww..... Titans may not have a rep for lasting for long, but they are fast and powerful for a $25 motor.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Agreed... I did a test of the titan VS stinger... same gearing, same battery, recorded speeds with GPS on the same truck. Stinger was almost 8mph slower than the titan. I also agree fully with mrhammer2u... continuing to spend money on a brushed setup when your trying to get high performance is futile. If you dont mind a mild truck the Electrifly motor is great and cheap and will last, but its not going to knock your socks off...

As soon as you try to get higher performance out of a brushed system youll end up spending more money than a brushless system will cost.

Of note, I ran a Venom fireball 15d (or double or X2) in my pede when I blew my first titan motor... geared 16/90 it got so hot running on hard dirt it melted the power wires right off the motor in less than 10 minutes. It certainly was fast, but way to hot a motor for this truck. if was ever going to try a venom again id go with the 19d and gear it 16/90.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhammer2u View Post
    If you stay brushed and run often you could potentially go through 3 motors this year alone. That's about $75. One way or the other you are going to spend more money. May as well dig in the couch and invest now. Less time spent on the sidelines....
    Along with the cost, there's the extra time you're going to have to spend maintaining a brushed motor to consider as well. Less time wrenching and more time running is always a good thing imo. Then you're going to have to be able to find parts for any brushed motor you get, and that's getting rather tricky. By the time all is said and done, like the Hammer pointed out you're very likely going to end up spending more on a decent brushed system than you would a decent brushless system. But even if cost was identical, the lack of required maintenace, and lifespan of a good BL system alone should make it worth the expenditure.
    However, if you're absolutely set on running a brushed setup, I'd go with the Electrify that Pave suggested. It will outlast a Titan, be torquier, and be equally fast, all for less than most places sell Titans for. They're not rebuildable motors, but for that price what do you expect.

Quote Originally Posted by P8ntball
    That's the first time I've heard anyone say that.
    Last edited by TAT2; 01-13-2011 at 02:36 PM.
    99%er

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhammer2u View Post
    Have you used a Titan 550 P8? Those 20T brushed motors are sloooooowwwwww..... Titans may not have a rep for lasting for long, but they are fast and powerful for a $25 motor.
    I have used the 550 and blew the last motor I had up in like in 2 battery packs.yes the stinger is a slower motor ,I was just saying be sarcastic about the stinger motor.You wanna laugh,I am soooo old school, I use a 15 min tower hobbies charger and packs with tamiya plugs.I dont race ,all I do is bash around so my old school set up is good for me....I dont know anything about brushless systems,lol but I hear they are great!,lol....seriously Traxxas nees to replace the tiitan motor

RC poster
    yeah ill go brushless eventually.... i dont race or anything i just bash on the land i got, mostly dirt, gravel, small mud puddles..... clean it alot lol.. i have stock gearing, 19t and 86t? what would be beter gearing i was thinking like 16t 0r 17t pinion, but idk for spur gear....