RC poster

Stampede 2WD vs 4X4

Hello,
    I have light RC experience and am deciding between buying the Stampede VXL and the Stampede 4x4. Not going to be racing on any tracks, but will be on all sorts of terrain, bashing, racing friends, etc.

The price difference isn't enough to make up my mind. Local Hobby Shop told me the VXL is the most fun of any he has, but I will end up liking the added stability of the 4x4. I guess one concern is am I giving up top end speed with the 4x4? The maintenance doesn't scare me, as i've torn down and built a few of these things.

Please advise!

RC Racer
    im brand new to the world of r/c. but i can say traxxas has been very good to me so far and as far as 2x4 or 4x4, if money isnt an issue all day with the 4x4 but this is just my opinion

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    As a huge proponent of the 2X4... I have recently been able to (finally) run my 4X4 and I can say that the 4X4 is amazing. I think what you should consider between the 2 is durability and simplicity. The 4X4 is durable, but not likely as much as the 2X4 due to increase in moving parts, gears, bearings etc etc. Its also not nearly as simple to work on and/or maintain. The 2X4 COULD be faster... but once you get in the 50mph range (which both are capable of) these trucks become pretty much uncontrollable anyway so speed shouldnt really be a concern.

My 4X4 pede is amazing... but my 2X4 pede is still the easiest to run and keep running. Just my opinion... and it may change after I get more hours on my 4X4 but no matter what, my 2X4 will never leave the fleet.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    My 4X4 pede is amazing... but my 2X4 pede is still the easiest to run and keep running. Just my opinion... and it may change after I get more hours on my 4X4 but no matter what, my 2X4 will never leave the fleet.
    I second that 100%.. my 4x4 hasn't been run much yet... but the little experience I had has already raised so many mod Ideas and necessities!.. But I like fixin' as much as bashin'.. Now...The 2x4 VXL is a BLAST!...still a lot of fun learning the "in's and out's" of it's workings... but soo much simpler!...and much more stable @ high speeds out of the box. I love a couple speed runs here and there just to demonstrate the power within... but the true fun is BASHING!..over snow, mud, dirt hills..or just about anything you can think of!
    So to answer your ?... Get the 4x4 and slam youself into the world of "tweaking" things to your style.
    Personally, for speed, I'll use the 2x4. Eventually My 4x4 will be for true bashing, without the worries of how fast it is.

After re-reading my post..I guess I didn't really help much. sorry... buy both if you can! ;-}
    Last edited by beetroot72; 01-02-2011 at 11:35 PM. Reason: sum'd it up!
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

Quote Originally Posted by beetroot72 View Post
    buy both if you can! ;-}
    Best advice yet.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkpants View Post
    Thanks for all the input. beet- I had actually heard at higher speeds, the 4x4 was more stable. You've found the opposite to be the case?
    In my limited experience... Without A Doubt!

Ive found its more difficult to keep the 4X4 straight at really high speeds. The 2X4 is pretty uncontrollable also... but so far, the 4X4 has been harder to control than the 2X4. Stable and controllable are 2 different things IMO. Stable refers to handling. Which I found the 4X4 (stock) to be far more stable than a stock 2X4 (though not any more more or less stable than my Protrac 2X4).

RC poster
    Thanks for all the input. beet- I had actually heard at higher speeds, the 4x4 was more stable. You've found the opposite to be the case?

RC Qualifier
    The 2X4 is pretty uncontrollable also
    Maybe I've been lucky then with my caster/toe and overall suspension settings but I'm pretty sure the 2x4 is doing at least 60, if not closer to 70 and I'm able to keep it in the middle of the street rather easily..if I can keep the front end down that is. =)

Throw a GPS on it. I had a pede that did 71.4 on GPS and man, keeping it in the middle of the street was all I could do... even with all my steering rates turned way down. I think once you get into the high 50's low 60's speed can be deceiving. Its easy to think your going 65 when really your doing 58... that last 10-15mph when your trying to hit 70 is a BIG step.

RC Qualifier
    Throw a GPS on it.
    I don't have a GPS.. and I have no doubt I could be guessing high but I can tell you I've geared it 19/54, stock velineon setup, and a maxamps 5250 60c 3s. I cable tie a heavy 1/2 inch short ratchet extension to the front bumper to help keep it down and go fill throttle. When It's warm again I'll set it up that way and try to get a vid. I'd like to try it riding shot gun w/ some body driving behind the pede to pace it. =)

Hehe, I say DO IT... just make you dont flip the truck and run it over. That would suck. But I think it would make for cool video if it was a ride along at 65 or 70 mph... that would look amazing.

RC Racer
    officially would be the sickest video ever