RC Qualifier

differential grease?

Hey guys just wanted to pick your brains, i broke my spider gears in my summit afew weeks ago and when i went to hobby store they gave some white super thin traxxas lithium grease to use in the diff and on the ring gear. Anyway since fixing my diff ive went out each time to try it out and within minutes i hear a lound clack and go home and take out diff and both times now the ring gear has a tooth missing. Now im not doing anything else different and ive driving my truck for months and months with no diff failure, am i right in assuming that u have to use a think grease like that grey gunk that comes stock? I went into my lhs and asked twice about the stuff they gave me and they said yup its good. But theyve been known to be wrong more times then right so im not to confident on it.

RC Qualifier
    I use cheap automotive grease for the entire diff. Did you replace the pinion bearings ? Bad bearings will kill the ring and pinion gear in a heart beat.

RC Qualifier
    The bearings seem fine and so does the pinion gear but im gonna change it out anyway. U sure its not cuz i have to little grease in the diff?

RC Qualifier
    Would not filling the spider gears part with diff fluid be the reason im breaking the ring gear so easily? Plus i dont see a washer on the inside of the ring gear is their suppose to be one?

RC Champion
    I would have replaced the whole diff housing as well as all the bearings. You never know when something got tweaked. I usually just use white automotive grease. Take a look at the parts diagrams make sure you have everything

RC Racer
    The main function of the grease inside the diff cup is lubrication. The use of different viscosity in the diff cup changes the power transfer/locking between the RH and LH wheel, it's the RC way of a limited slip differential.
    Constantly chipping a ring gear could indicate issues with the gear mesh between the ring and pinion which could have different root causes (bearings, bearing housing, missing spacer,...)

RC poster
    You probably need to shim the pinion to get proper mesh. Also will keep it from moving under load.

RC Qualifier
    It deff needs a shim it has so much play. I was missing an o ring on inside of diff cup housing and a washer and o ring on one of the pinion gears. I got it all back together now and if it breaks again im gonna try shimming it
    I didnt have any shims to.try when i had it apart.