RC Racer

Stampede XL-5 brushless conversion

For "near" future reference,what has to be changed on the XL-5 3605 Pedes to go brushless? Cost ect..? I saw this kit on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/TRAXXAS-3350X-VE...item4399337664 not sure if I'm even looking at the right set up or if the price is good????? I'd like to get what I need in kit form and to be able to use my NiMh 8.4v batteries.Any suggestions? I did a advanced search to try to find something on this topic but come up empty,sure there are a ton.I hate to buy new trucks seeing I just got these and I'm sure I'll loose money going this route
    Last edited by TreasureHunter; 01-01-2011 at 12:54 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    In all reality, your truck doesn't need anything. The waterproof xl5's all come brushless ready. There are a number of differences between an xl5 and a VXL pede but nothing that prohibits the installation of a brushless system. The only thing I'd say you really should upgrade to VXL spec that isn't already is the bushings in the carriers. The VXL has bearings and the bushings in the xl5 will wear out quick with brushless power. Your batteries will work just fine... In fact all vxls come with nimhs when you buy them new.

That kit you linked to is all you really need. Grab a set of 8 5x11 bearings and your all set. The VXL system you linked too is a bit over priced though. A new VXL could be bought on the market place for about $130 if you look around.

RC Racer
    Hmm,So if the XL-5 comes bl ready all I need is a motor and upgrade the bearings and bushings? If I can use the XL-5 that would be great as far as cost.Any recommended brushless motors that will work ok with my stock set up? I know one of my Pedes has low voltage detection for lipo where the other does not.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TreasureHunter View Post
    Hmm,So if the XL-5 comes bl ready all I need is a motor and upgrade the bearings and bushings? If I can use the XL-5 that would be great as far as cost.Any recommended brushless motors that will work ok with my stock set up? I know one of my Pedes has low voltage detection for lipo where the other does not.
    The xl5 is not a brushles ESC.. I just won a new/used velineon system for 80 bucks on ebay so many people buy the trucks and throw MMP's in them instantly.
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

RC Champion
    Go with castle SCT system or a dynamite FUZE system. The SCT system would be best and superior to the VXL system due to the programing options. Both can be gottern brand new for about 115 dollars.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the tips on the options

Thats right, when the XL5 is listed as "brushless ready" it means the truck itself can handle a brushless setup. But a brushless system require an ESC AND a Motor... the XL5 is a brushed ONLY ESC. The VXL system includes the ESC and the motor. As does the other systems listed.

If you want a waterproof truck, the VXL system is the only option. But, if you dont care about waterproof I think your best option is the Castle SCT system. You can get it for $119 from tower hobbies and if your a tower super saver club member you can get about $15 or $20 off and free shipping. That system for just over $100 is a SWEET setup.

RC Racer
    Lucky I joined the Super Saver program,it has saved me alot so far "actually made me spend more somehow LOL" I'll take a look at the Castle SCT system

RC Champion
    The SCT motor is water proof and the esc would have to be completely soaked before it would fail. In most cases having a water proof esc does not mean a thing unless you are making a submarine.

RC Racer
    With the SCT system will I still need to upgrade the bearings,bushings and rid the plastic spur gear? Does this ESC just plug into the receiver just as the XL-5? Looks like a good deal and I'm planning on getting it in about a month if the funds are right

You dont NEED to upgrade the bushings... but you should. They will wear out fast with any sort of brushless power. The plastic spur gear is fine... its the same as what comes on the VXLs. If you do want to upgrade your gears, go with a 32p setup. Use a jato spur and a tmaxx pinion. Thats what I run on all my 2X4 trucks and have never stripped a spur. The other benefit to this setup is that you dont need to run a gear cover. This makes slipper adjustments much easier. And if you had planned on buying an RPM gear cover, the Jato spur and Emaxx pinion cost about the same.

RC Champion
    Upgrading to brushless does not mean you need to upgrade to bearings in any way. A fast brushed system will wear bushings just as fast as a brushless system. It is recommended to change all your bushings out so that you have less drag on the vehicle and you have to replace parts less often. I run the new style slipper with stampede spurs and have no issues. If you were to start to have drive shaft issues you could upgrade to a cvd setup or you could install MAXX size drive shafts. The only thing a stock stampede may need is steel gears in the trans. And a fair amount of people get away with having only partial metal gears. If you go with the SCT system you wont be able to use the included blower fan but you could mod your trans case to fit a heat sink and fan. Also I believe the castle systems still come with a voucher to get a free pc link. You still have to pay for shipping.

RC poster
    I upgraded the stock brushed motor in my Stampede XL-5 to a brushless. I put out a 3 video series on the upgrade. Here is part 1. There are links for part 2 and 3 within the videos. Love this truck!

Mike (mmerry2)
    http://www.youtube.com/mmerry2