RC Qualifier

Unhappy Sent the ESC in..=(

Just got done riggin' some chains and was amped for some major snow bashin'. But I was cut short by the premature LVC. I reset it a couple times but just got too pede' off to deal w/ it anymore. So I called support and they said to mail it in. My "sons" 2x4 velineon pede works fine but I really miss the 4x4 already.. I guess my son will have to donate me his ESC fot a little bit =) . (he's only 6 but will still crank about it).. I'll buy him some Ice Cream or something!..

Just bummed =(

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    Woah that sucks. At what voltage would the LVC kick in?
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Typically they cut in at about 3.7 volts per cell when they have this problem. They are supposed to cut in at about 3.4 volts... sounds like its not much, but that can account for almost 1/3 of your battery capacity.

Mine cuts out at 3.68. It bothers me, but I don't want to be down for a while! I do have other ESC's though.... Is it worth sending it in I wonder?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand National View Post
    Woah that sucks. At what voltage would the LVC kick in?
    That's a good question.. I don't really know. I have a good volt meter but left it @ work..but my charger says each cell is 3.86-3.89 and brings them back to capacity in less than 15 min. I run 2s venom 5000 20c and a 3s maxamps 5250 60c. But more importantly It just will kick in sometimes when first turned on. Then I'll unplug, etc and it will be fine for 10 min or 5 min or 15 min.. really spuradic. if I unplug again I get the same thing. my sons 2x4 with the same esc/motor will jam the same battery that the 4x4 kicked out for another 20-30 min. I'm gonna steal my sons esc tomorrow and test it in my 4x4. =)

RC Enthusiast
    Is it correct to assume that a 2s pack should register around 6.8v at the time the LVC cuts in?

I just called Traxxas support, the guy didn't really know what he was talking about I think LOL. I just wanted to see what they had to say about the issue. They said my battery could be a problem, which I highly doubt . Anyways, i'm going to try and use my Venom battery in it. Once I get my Hyperion Duo i'll begin my charging again, and throwing this darn Onyx 230 out, because it's not charging above 4.3a, anyone else have that problem? Thats frustrating!
    Last edited by Grand National; 12-28-2010 at 09:13 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I just called Traxxas support, the guy didn't really know what he was talking about I think LOL. I just wanted to see what they had to say about the issue. They said my battery could be a problem, which I highly doubt . Anyways, i'm going to try and use my Venom battery in it. It's kinda interesting though, because the SPC battery i'm using doesn't accept a full 5.0a when charging, so I wonder if it IS the battery. I'm going to try and bench run my 'pede with the Venom LiPo and see what happens. Here we go.
    The guy I talked to said I shouldn't have a problem w/ my batteries (they have like 10 cycles max) especially the Maxamps. And to add that they work fine in my newer 2x4 velineon seals the deal in my book... let us know how yous does!
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

I'm going to put a pack through my Slash PE and see what it goes down to.

RC Qualifier
    I'm going to put a pack through my Slash PE and see what it goes down to.
    So what happened? It it your ESC or Battery.

It's the ESC, I have to call Traxxas support back. Pretty bummed, but at least I have other ESC's to throw in there.

RC Competitor
    Hearing all of the issues with the newer VXL esc's makes me a little nervous. I just received another replaced esc from Traxxas; I grabbed a 3s 5400 lipo that had been sitting around for a bit (couple of weeks) and the LVP kicked in after about 10 minutes. I checked the voltages on my charger and they were all around 3.8 volts. I put the battery back in the truck and it worked fine. I have only had the chance to run this thing once in the last 30 days or so am now thinking that it wasn't a isolated situation. I'm going to have to go out and do some additional testing. Oh yeah...this system is currently on a Rustler type truck and has both stock Nimh and 3s lipo run on it.

I know that the battery is good as it works completely fine with my other vxl system. I wonder how cool Traxxas would be about the cost of replacing a "paid warranty" item that was defective. Anyone have any experience with this?
    Stampede VXL
    Rustler VXL
    Nitro 4Tec VXL

RC Qualifier
    well I'm still waiting..I'll let you..and everybody else know!

My other ESC in the truck shut off at 3.7v. I'm about to follow pave and put a MMM in there!

RC Qualifier
    WTH? I have the same one in the 2x4 and I'm usually done bashing b4 it even kicks in. I'm gonna put her in the 4x4 next week and see what happens. I need Waterproofing! MMP just won't do for my way of bashing. I already fried a cheaper esc that I "waterproofed" myself.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Typically they cut in at about 3.7 volts per cell when they have this problem. They are supposed to cut in at about 3.4 volts... sounds like its not much, but that can account for almost 1/3 of your battery capacity.
    you know i always wondered when it was supposed to come on! my old vxl lvc came on at 3.7 and i thought it was ok i didn't know that it was 3.4 when it should of been going into lvc! wow i'm glad i that was all that was wrong with it!!

Hey i was just wondering if the Lvc is coming on at the right time since it drops down to 50% and then it cuts out when it drops lower!! i thought it was working since i could still drive at 50%!! SOOO IDK!! Just my 2cents
    Last edited by P'noRcer; 01-05-2011 at 10:04 PM. Reason: adding more!