RC Competitor

got fed up with burning shift servo's...

3th servo in 1 month, that is just sick, the last servo was a REXTOR micro servo with metal gears.

this one lasted the longest, i think 2 weeks.

since i can not set endpoints on the link transmitter i just made up my own link from the servo to the gearbox.

i kept the stock servo saver thingy that connects the pin from the gearbox with the servo and went on from there.

in fact i just used a nitro car throttle/brake linkage as a inspiration.

i super gleud a rod of 1.5mm in the plastic ballink and i mounted the servo with the output shaft on the other side.

then i used a pushrod connector to mount on the servo arm with 2 little springs from a ball point pen and a collar just like the nitro cars have.

a little 'tweaking' here and there and voila... a push/pull system with on both sides a spring + the original servo saver is used for extra safety !

i do not have pictures of it right now but i first want to test it to see if this will actually work and if my servo really will last this time...

RC Racer
    3 in a month is just silly..
    I just broke one yesterday and im swaping in the replacement today
    SnowTiger Summit, Dewalt 14.4 Nimh
    Burlington, ON

If you are running the am tx there is adjustments on the back,Not sure about the 2.4
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    nope the 2.4 has'nt got potmeters to adjust the EPA's of the micro servo's like the AM tx has...

i figured that out myself by opening the tx to search for hidden potmeters.

RC Qualifier
    Hi.My 2.4 4ch's got the white screws in the back of the tx.Try that.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by NOFX View Post
    Hi.My 2.4 4ch's got the white screws in the back of the tx.Try that.
    i do not know wich type you have but like i said a few posts back i took the TX totally apart and i did'nt see any little screws... :-(

RC Racer
    What's causing the confusion is there are two 2.4 Ghtz transmitters. The 5607 has the newest one. Traxxas made an upgrade offer for 5610 owners with the 27Mhtz radios, and these folks got a "1st generation 2.4 Ghz radio".

The newest radio you can tell instantly because it has a middle knob on the front labeled "Steering/Throttle Expo"..."Steering/Braking Dual Rate"...and "Throttle Trim". They had to add Four pages to the manual to explain all it's custom settings.

If it is labeled "2.4 Ghtz" but the middle knob doesn't say all of this, you own transmitter part number 2206 and have a first generation 2.4 Ghtz radio, and guess what? You can adjust the midpoints of your shifting servos on the TX. But no four pages of programming. It pretty much has the 27Mhtz radio set of features.

If you have this older radio you lose all that neat "Expo" adjustment functions, but one thing you do have is two white slotted plastic screws (deeply recessed but easily accessible from outside case) that adjust centering on channel 3 and another for channel 4. These two adjustments disappeared on the newer radio.

Use a 3mm or 1/8 inch flat slotted screwdriver to adjust the two trims.

Turn the (older 2.4) radio over on the backside and you will see near the bottom a bunch of molded in diagonal lines in the plastic. Look for four recessed holes. Two of them hold the radio together with screws. One is for adjusting midpoint channel 3 (hi-low shift) and one channel four (both diff lock servos).

Reading from left to right, remember you have the TX turned over, the steering knob facing down: mounting screw, channel 3 high/low shift trim, channel 4 trim for both the diff locks servos, and way far over, the 4th hole is another screw that holds the TX halves together.

I recall Traxxas saying something like "Don't turn the slotted trim adjustment screws more than about 1/4 turn", as reported some time ago in another thread. I guess they figured that if it was off that much you should start thinking resetting the servo horns, but I'm wildly guessing here.
    Last edited by H2Ohaze; 12-29-2010 at 11:58 AM.