Thread: Which motor ?

RC Qualifier

Which motor ?

I will put another motor on my stampede 4x4 but i have a dilema between 3 castle combo :

1) the first are the MMP 2400kv 1415, 4S max, you have to dremel the chassis 36x70mm motor (4S lipo it pretty heavy for stampede, 500g= 1lbs+)

2) the second are the MMM 4800kv 1415, 2S max (not in sale for now, end of january), you do dremel the chassis 36x70mm motor

3) the third are the sidewinder sc 3800kv 1410, 2S max, direct fit no dremel

Thank !
    Last edited by samintrepid; 12-26-2010 at 12:53 PM.
    Stampede 4x4 1415 1Y 2400kv, 4S 5200 30C

I would buy the SCT combo, sell the Sidewinder, and go with a MMP. You should be able to run 3s, no problem, and have plenty of motor.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Champion
    hey if you want a good deal castle is selling out their 1800KV 1.5y motor and its only $60! i just ordered one and its the same size as the 2650kv MMM motor so it should fit with a MMP in their
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    If you do a bit of looking around you can find a 2650 motor and pair it with an mmp esc and run it on 3s geared good and high. Take a look at my build thread if you want to see how it fits and what chassis mods are necessary. I'll have mine up and running tomorrow hopefully. I think either this combo or the 3800 motor with an mmp esc. Just my thoughts.

RC Qualifier
    Not to hiJack the thread but are any of the above mentioned motor/esc's waterproof?.. My 6yr old and I just have too much fun Bashing in the snow. We clocked his 2wd pede @ 68 mph w/ the stock velineon and my maxamps 5250 3s. Even hit a solid 40 with some rigged snow chains (rear only) going across the snow covered school field.. pulling a wheelie most of the time! What is the gain with the mmp. I almost bought one (and still will if they're waterproof) but I recently fried an old dynamite esc that I thought I had rigged waterproof w/ bedliner and rubberized spray-on undercoating. Are they that much faster? or is it the programming that makes them so appealing. I did like to be able to adjust drag brake, throttle speed, start power, etc w/ my cheap dynamite. I have enough cash saved to do whatever I want but I will not sacrifice waterproofing. Just looking for some feedback and reasoning.
    Thanks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    There are a few pros of going with the MMP. One being you can run 6s safely on it. Another being highly programmable. You can set your LVC, which cuts out the premature LVC that some VXL's have a problem with. In addition, MMP's have a cooling fan from the factory which allows it to run much cooler. One con to the ESC that it in fact is NOT waterproof. A lot of people have liquid taped their Castle ESC's to make them waterproof, which seems to do the trick, however it does void your warranty.
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I think the best idea is to keep an MMP around for the summer time and take advantage of all the programming options. But use your VXL in the winter when you need the waterproofing. Thats really the only way to have the best of both worlds without modding your MMP and taking the risk (like you did before) that the waterproofing isnt perfect without a warranty.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    I think the best idea is to keep an MMP around for the summer time and take advantage of all the programming options. But use your VXL in the winter when you need the waterproofing. Thats really the only way to have the best of both worlds without modding your MMP and taking the risk (like you did before) that the waterproofing isnt perfect without a warranty.
    Thinking the same.. just might have to buy another 4x4 for that purpose. 6s though.. really? my 5250 true 60c 3s is a BEAST.. How much more could you want?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    Some people always want more!
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Racer
    I have to jump in here and ask about motors. i see different combo with different kv ratings, i want to put a different motor in my pede as well but want good speed and torque or the same torque as the stock just faster on 3s.
    whats a good combo. i was looking at the hobbypartz combos to, not sure what would work good for what i want.

RC Qualifier
    ^ hey scott, i dont think hobbypartz has them in stock yet, but a great alternative to the castle 2650 mmm/mmp combo is the new EZrun SC8 combo. It can run up to 4S lipo and the motor specs are almost identical to the castle 2650 motor. It should do very well in this size truck and run nice and cool. Kershaw has them for 149 with the 2700kv motor:
    http://204.186.93.64/BrushlessMotorS...-Hobbywing.htm

RC Racer
    Skeppley i have 2 of the hobbywings now. 1 in a truggy and 1 in my emax. gotta love the hobby wing.
    iam kinda new to the electric stuff so the kv rating is throing me off at 2700 being the stock motor is rated at 3500 kv.
    so all the different kv rating is what thros me off on what to get. scott

RC Qualifier
    There is much more to speed than just the KV rating. The size/torque and watt rating of the motor are very important.

The smaller traxxas motor is rated at 65a constant /100a burst or 721 watts constant/1110 watts peak on 3s lipo.

The new hobbywing motor is rated at 120amps constant, but i havent found it's peak numbers listed anywhere. We'll just guess at 60% more like the traxxas, so say burst is 190. It can also run up to 4s lipo, so thats gonna make the watts much higher too. So 4S lipo (14.8)x 120amps = 1776 watts constant and x190amps= 2812 peak watts. Now you mention that you want to run 3S lipo, so 11.1 x 120amps = 1332 watts and 2109 peak. So this motor can run almost double the power on a 3S lipo as the velineon motor. You just change the pinion and spur gear to make up for the lower KV rating and you run nice and cool at 1200 watts and 50 mph on 3 cell whereas the traxxas is over it's limit at 1200 watts and 50mph and getting very hot in 10 minutes

RC Qualifier
    but.. is it waterproof?.. I know, I know... I'm an old nag. But what r we trying to do here? I hit 68 mph with a 3s in my 2x4 with the velineon..I don't need to do that all day.. Once you max out once or twice then it's back to bashing. There has been only a few occasions where I've been high and dry. I suppose If I invested in a dry, 2x4 speed run vehicle then it would be worth an mmb or something (which I just might do :}) BTW My 2x4 will blow away my 4x4 w/ similar gearing and the same battery.

Just my 2 cents, but I always go back to bashing around the neighborhood and you're just asking for trouble when you're over 40 mph.
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

RC Qualifier
    Nope, not waterproof. Traxxas stock is definitely the best for snow and water. And as for speed, the velineon on 3S lipo is around 44 mph and that is how i liked to run, but without the overheat issues. Thats the main need to upgrade. Your right, 50 plus isnt necessary where i run, so almost everything i own is geared under 50 mph, but some people do love crankin up to 60mph plus all the time. And all my 2 wheel drives go much faster, much easier and much quieter thsn the 4x4's, but the traction and control of the 4x4s make up for it

RC Qualifier
    I hesitate to put the 2400kv because 4S it too much weight (500g for one big battery) or 2x 2S hardcase (2x 314g = 628 gram) with serial connector, that will be much harder on diff, drive shaft, clucth and bottom out easy on big jump.

Last edited by samintrepid; 12-31-2010 at 03:14 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Ahh Sam, your missing the biggest benefit of high voltage.... low amperage.

Lets just say you are completely happy running a 2S 5000 pack at 30 mph and it lasts about 20 minutes. Lets guess that it takes 500 watts to do this for 20 minutes. So take 500 watts / by 7.4 volts and you have 68 amps.
    Now if you double the voltage to a 4S 5000 lipo and adjust your gearing to 30mph, you will still need 500 watts, but divide that by the 14.8 voltage and you are only drawing 34amps to do the same thing, so now that 4s lipo will last for 40 minutes instead of 20 minutes.

Now, although 40 minutes is nice, that lipo is way to heavy, like you mention, alas, that size is no longer needed! A 4S 2500 pack will give you the exact same run time as that 2s 5000 pack when geared for the same speeds. The motor is only pulling 34 amps so everything will be ice cold.

Now say your not happy with 30 mph and wanna double your power. You want 60mph and 1000 watts. Well, you just doubled the amps in both cases, but now the 2S setup is drawing 136 amps(much more heat) and the 4s setup is only sucking 68 amps.

Now using the 120 amp limit of the hobbywing motor i listed above, the 2S lipo is over the specs of the motor, but the 4s can still be geared even higher for more speed! Obviously the c rating or actual size of the battery will have to go up to keep up with the higher power demands, but the amperage requirements are still very low.

There is a lot more info on high voltage setups, and a lot more involved then i have written, but it's new years, and i have some drinkin to prepare for....
    Happy new year

RC Racer
    Skeppley
    would this combo be a good choice for what i want to use in a slash or 4x4 pede
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/6-5t-3650-...-120a-lcd.html

RC Qualifier
    That motor is actually a bit smaller than the velineon, so besides being sensored, it wouldnt run much differently.

RC Qualifier
    your running this in a series, what is the battery spec on this set up?

Quote Originally Posted by samintrepid View Post
    I hesitate to put the 2400kv because 4S it too much weight (500g for one big battery) or 2x 2S hardcase (2x 314g = 628 gram) with serial connector, that will be much harder on diff, drive shaft, clucth and bottom out easy on big jump.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nissanguy8 View Post
    your running this in a series, what is the battery spec on this set up?
    2S 5200mah 30C x 2

RC Racer
    Skeppley
    thanks
    ill keep thinking on the other combo you suggested.

RC Qualifier
    Thank everyone for your help, i have finally order the option 3 : sidewinder sc 3800kv, i will run with 2S 5200 30C and 17 tooth pinion robinson racing 5mm with sleeve reducer adaptor, i have read on other forum i guy running 49mph on 2S. I will buy in the future the option 2 : 1415 .5y 4800kv combo with mamba monster when it come available. the 1415 1y 2400 run on 4S but definitly too much weight for the slipper, handling, jumping ...

PS : I have sale for 80$ the stock vxl combo after overheating on 2S (17/54) at 203 degre hihihi !

RC Qualifier
    Sorry for the last post because i have cancelled my order after receive a personnal message from Patrick of castle, now i have order the 2400kv mamba max pro combo option 1.

---Quote (Originally by samintrepid)---Hello Patrick, nobody have answer my thread, I have the new stampede 4x4 (3.0 lbs truck without battery) and i want put the sct combo MMP 2400 but with 4S lipo the truck are pretty heavy or i do wait for the next sct combo MMM 4800 2S lipo (in how much time are availible ?) which combo are the best for this truck (more efficiency) ? or the sidewinder sct 3800 2S Thank !---End Quote---

It's really hard to say for sure. The 3800Kv SCT motor will be enough to power that truck for sure on a 2S Lipo, but the 2400Kv motor would be much faster on 4S. It really depends on how you plan to run the truck. The 2400Kv on 4S would be the fastest and coolest running, the 4800Kv would be next fastest, but would have a much shorter run time. The 3800Kv motor would give good run time, but would be the slowest of the three. Thanx!

Patrick
    Last edited by samintrepid; 01-05-2011 at 04:13 AM.