Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

E-REVO lights. "How to" tutorial

Hi guys. Those of you who are in the same league with "mistercrash" or "ArmyofDarkness" will not get anything new from this thread but some other mortals might so here it goes...

Apart from bringing bad weather (at least to UK) winter also brings much shorter days so when I get back from work it is already dark outside. Bad weather is now sorted out by my cover (see my signature) this is how I sorted out running in the dark:

If you like what you see and would like to do the same at the costs of 12$ and 1 hour of your time then keep on reading.

Things that I used were all purchased at hobby king and the shopping list looked like this:
    - High Density R/C LED Flexible Strip
    - Servo Terminals (Futaba) Gold Plated
    - Flat 26AWG servo wire 1mtr (R/B/W)

Those LEDs are working directly of 2S or 3S battery. The whole strip consist of 20 sections of 3 LEDs each which you can cut and wire up. U can see the cut line and 4 little dots around it. I used 2 sections of white LEDS for the front and 2 sections of red for rear.

1) So cut of a section of 3 LEDs.
    2) Use 4mm drill bit to cut a whole in the bodyshell
    3) Fit the first LED in and mark the place for remaining 2 LEDs. Now drill those spots to fit in remaining 2 LEDs

Eventually after fitting them on the inside you will have smth similar on the outside

4) Now we need to wire the whole thing up. And for that you will need basic soldering skills and (in my case) servo wire. Measure how much wire you will need to connect all headlamps in series and cut it into appropriate lengths. On each section (headlamp) by the cut line you will have 2 dots (+ and -). Connect + of one section to + on the other and so with - .

5) In the end you will have all 4 headlamps connected in series.

6) I glued the headlamps to the body from the inside and used decorators masking tape to cover the wire

So in the end it looked like this

Now to power it up I used servo connector pins wrapped in heatshrink and powered it directly from battery balancing port.

In theory each of that 3 LED section consumes 20mah per hour. So in 45min (what I get out of my batteries every run) 4 of those sections will discharge a battery they connected to 60mah more. My LVC is set quite high so no worries about a big dis-balance.

I took it outside tonight and all I could say was WOW! I was so impressed that I thought I'd spent another hour to share it with you. Those who have headlamps will now what I'm talking about. The main purpose of them is to let you know the position of the car, the direction its facing to and where you are going and this handmade-headlamps do so brilliantly.

That's all folks and good luck.
    Last edited by vlad1981; 12-24-2010 at 05:26 PM.

RC Qualifier
    bringing an old thread back

im surprised no one said anything, this seems pretty nice. thanks for the info, im in the process of adding LED's and want to know my options
    Sony Action Camera, My new toy

RC Competitor
    I remember seeing this, but it was in summer and we had plenty of daylight. Now in winter it's dark when I leave for work, and dark when I get home. Am now seriously considering this as a winter project.
    Great write up, looks like something even I could do (that's saying something).

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxhoundEP3 View Post
    bringing an old thread back

im surprised no one said anything, this seems pretty nice. thanks for the info, im in the process of adding LED's and want to know my options
    At the time I wasnt really sure what to say myself- this mod is alot better than any lighting setup I've made myself, much cleaner. I think alot of other people were probably puzzled by the wicked flexible surface mounted LEDs and how to wire that up as such; normally the sort of thing I see on custom PC cases...
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyofDarkness View Post
    At the time I wasnt really sure what to say myself- this mod is alot better than any lighting setup I've made myself, much cleaner. I think alot of other people were probably puzzled by the wicked flexible surface mounted LEDs and how to wire that up as such; normally the sort of thing I see on custom PC cases...
    indeed very clean set up, and the connection to the balancer wire.... clever

RC Qualifier
    This is very nice. Wish I had this 4 years back or maybe I was not paying attention. Me and my buddy from the EMBE forum used to do late night street runs under street lights... this mod would have been superb!
    Ray00
    E–Revo │ E-Revo BE
    ITCHY THROTTLE FINGER!

RC Racer
    I did this mod, came out very well and draws a lot of attention

RC Qualifier
    WOW. that is super neat.

RC Competitor
    I've just ordered everything necessary to do this mod from an online hobby store. I really like how you've given us the exact names of the products, so there is no confusion for a noob like me looking for stuff online.
    Even with shipping and a couple of spares, the total cost for all this was under $20. Now if I replace the shell I'll have enough left over to put the lights in the new one.

Thanks again.

RC Qualifier
    Wow how did I miss this one... I feel bad for you vlad, man you made such a great write up on a killer led set up and noone commented... Must have been one of those busy forum days where everything gets pushed to the second page in a few hours... Either way this is a really cool/clean/cheap way to rig up leds and I'm glad someone bumped it up so it can get the attention it deserves.
    That's Just How I Roll ««o==o>

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyT333 View Post
    I'm glad someone bumped it up so it can get the attention it deserves.
    YAY ME !!! lol

RC Racer
    Would it be possible to cut 1 of the 3 and solder it back on with some wire or someting like that to make a L shape? I need two back lights and one side light on the back of one of my bodys.

RC Qualifier
    I had put leds on my body for my mini revo but decided I wanted them wired to the bumpers instead. I also switch my bodies and I wanted the leds to be available on any which one... But it's a clean setup either way you do it! What I do now is swap the bumpers for night time and day time I use the other bumpers.
    HPI Vorza | Traxxas Summit | 1/16 Traxxas E-Revo

RC poster
    Vlad, few simple questions on wiring.
    1st, each of the 3-led sections you cut (4 total) are these in parallel or series?

The description says on the HK site says "large voltage input range up to 12V DC"
    If you are running off the balancing wire, what voltage are the lights seeing? (You're 2S or 3S?)

I have two 2S lipo ordered and on the way, so if I made a y-connector on 1 battery, (to avoid balance issue) would the 7 1/2V - 8V be too dim, or would I fry them running off both batteries at 15-16V? (Seems a 3S would be ideal)

Rob

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'd say they are all in series given the route of the wires.
    He is running a pair of 3s lipo in those pictures ( 4 wires on the balancing connector- single ground + 3 positives ) and the pins tap into the 1st and last wires to give 3s to the leds ( from one lipo ), so ~12.6v is the max the leds will see, should be fine on that.

If you have a pair of 2s lipos, then the best option for you would be to find some 6-9v leds ideally, otherwise you'd have to tap into the balance taps on both lipos to get 3s for the leds, might be a bit tricky and risky is the wiring isnt done correctly.

RC Racer
    I did this modification, instead of using the lipo balance leads for the power for the LED's i got one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ht_1217wt_1139 12v version, i'm sure there must be something similar in the US, it can take up to 35v so fine with 6s, i wired mine in parallel

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ooh, that's an interesting item, very handy..

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyofDarkness View Post
    Ooh, that's an interesting item, very handy..
    Yep and cheap, been using it for around 5 months now with no problems

RC Racer
    Found another with adjustable voltage http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_5519wt_905

RC poster
    Hi guys, i just ordered these from *********

- High Density R/C LED Flexible Strip
    - Servo Terminals (Futaba) Gold Plated
    - Flat 26AWG servo wire 1mtr (R/B/W)

I think the easy way to get leds working is using the lipo's balancing connector.. but do you think this will affect a lot the battery performance?? i'm using 3S lipos

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I doubt it- leds like that only draw a very small amount of current, usually a few tens of mah per hour, so they wont effect runtime at all. Just make sure you unplug them when you aren't running the truck as they will still drain the lipos eventually.

RC poster
    thx =) i will try that once i receive my shipping..

RC Racer
    Hi guys. Back from my holiday and surprised to see this one resurrected (since its summer time and plenty of day light)...

One addition as its been recommended to me and I liked it was to use balancing plug to connect to battery instead of two bare pins

Would it be possible to cut 1 of the 3 and solder it back on with some wire or someting like that to make a L shape? I need two back lights and one side light on the back of one of my bodys.
    I haven't tried but in theory it should work.

Vlad, few simple questions on wiring.
    1st, each of the 3-led sections you cut (4 total) are these in parallel or series?

The description says on the HK site says "large voltage input range up to 12V DC"
    If you are running off the balancing wire, what voltage are the lights seeing? (You're 2S or 3S?)

I have two 2S lipo ordered and on the way, so if I made a y-connector on 1 battery, (to avoid balance issue) would the 7 1/2V - 8V be too dim, or would I fry them running off both batteries at 15-16V? (Seems a 3S would be ideal).
    1 - as already answered - series (in my case). But the wiring on the LED's makes the whole system parallel anyway.
    2 - I'm 3S and they are super bright. If I plug it into 2S Red ones are OK but White ones are too dim (and if I'm not mistaken Granby had them the other way round when he tried). However I did this mod for my friends nitro car and used rechargeable 9V PPP battery - they were as bright as 12V.

I think the easy way to get leds working is using the lipo's balancing connector.. but do you think this will affect a lot the battery performance?? i'm using 3S lipos
    No. They consume "almost no power at all" - I once forgot to unplug them after a run when LVC kicked in. They stayed on overnight draining an already empty battery and battery was still within safe limits.

And as for mounting -Yes you can mount them in different places bumpers, wings, I've even seen them on suspention upper arms. On my buggy I put them on the back wing - http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/10...st__p__1046440

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by vlad1981 View Post

One addition as its been recommended to me and I liked it was to use balancing plug to connect to battery instead of two bare pins
    indeed, that should be even better than the pins.. i wonder if we can find some from the HK website

RC Racer
    Yes, all you need to buy is - JST-XH 3S Wire Extension and adjust it slightly

RC Qualifier
    Yes, all you need to buy is - JST-XH 3S Wire Extension and adjust it slightly
    Awesome, thanks for the info, this thread rocks

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Hi Guys, here is my first mod with lights on mini e-revo.. take a look =)

RC Qualifier
    I was reading through your tutorial and just to clarify, you are wiring each 3 led strip in parallel... + to + & - to -
    the whole 1 meter strip of leds in the specs says 400ma, and each 3 leds on 12V uses 20ma, meaning 60 leds (per 1 meter) divided by 3 leds per strip is 20 strips of 3 leds... Doing the math 20 strips times 20ma = 400ma... SO the way the strips are wired when bought is 3 leds are wired in series (+-+-+-+ etc etc) and the 20 strips are paralleled (+ + --)together ...
    also as a reminder Volts are added up in series (Amps stay the same) and Amps are added up in parallel (Volts stay the same)
    HPI Vorza | Traxxas Summit | 1/16 Traxxas E-Revo

RC Racer
    hmmm what he said all i know is they don't use much power

RC Racer
    what a insanely awesome thread! I am totally going for it
    Thanks vlad for the thread and thanks fox for bringing it back to life

RC Racer
    2 - I'm 3S and they are super bright. If I plug it into 2S Red ones are OK but White ones are too dim (and if I'm not mistaken Granby had them the other way round when he tried). However I did this mod for my friends nitro car and used rechargeable 9V PPP battery - they were as bright as 12V.
    so are you recommending using the 9V rechargeable method for us guys who are running 2s batts?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ngnaw View Post
    I was reading through your tutorial and just to clarify, you are wiring each 3 led strip in parallel... + to + & - to -
    the whole 1 meter strip of leds in the specs says 400ma, and each 3 leds on 12V uses 20ma, meaning 60 leds (per 1 meter) divided by 3 leds per strip is 20 strips of 3 leds... Doing the math 20 strips times 20ma = 400ma... SO the way the strips are wired when bought is 3 leds are wired in series (+-+-+-+ etc etc) and the 20 strips are paralleled (+ + --)together ...
    also as a reminder Volts are added up in series (Amps stay the same) and Amps are added up in parallel (Volts stay the same)
    Correct. 3 leds are wired in series and after each section is wired in parallel. Cant edit my previous posts though

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ecopsorn View Post
    so are you recommending using the 9V rechargeable method for us guys who are running 2s batts?
    This is just an option. However as I said earlier my red LEDs work very well of 2S battery but white ones are too dim, and I believe Granby had them the other way round where white ones were ok and red ones too dim. If you manage to receive red and white which will both be bright of 2S then you are ok without 9V

RC Racer
    This is just an option. However as I said earlier my red LEDs work very well of 2S battery but white ones are too dim, and I believe Granby had them the other way round where white ones were ok and red ones too dim. If you manage to receive red and white which will both be bright of 2S then you are ok without 9V
    ok, gotta try thanks

RC Racer
    1, White LED: minimum driving voltage: 3 × 3.0 = 9V. If the input voltage of LED strip is 9V, there is no need to add a current limiting resistor. If other LED sets get damages, then it will cause the current of this group of LED increase and burn LED. However, if adding current limiting resistor, it will lower the minimum driving voltage LED, the luminous intensity and luminous effect of LED strips will be influences. Therefore, the minimum voltage of white Flexible LED strips is 12V.

2, Red LED: minimum driving voltage 1.8V, 3 × 1.8V = 5.4V, 6V is ok. 6-5.4V = 0.6V, you can also add 30 ohm current limiting resistor. Therefore, the minimum voltage of red LED strip is 6V.

3, Blue LED: the same as white LED strip, minimum voltage is 12V.

4, Green LED: minimum driving voltage 2.9V, 3 × 2.9V = 8.7V, 9V is ok. 9-8.7V = 0.3V, you can also add 15 ohm current limiting resistor. Therefore, the minimum voltage of green LED strip is 9V.

5, Yellow LED: the same as red LED strip, minimum voltageis 6V.

I found that cutting of one led light and solder the end back together gives the same light for two leds on 2s as three led on 3s. Worked great in my E-Revo and gave more room position the leds with using only two.

RC Competitor
    Hi Everyone ...
    Can anyone tell me where I can order these. I could not find them online, the only led strips that are available are 1 m long. I have to keep my cost down. So all that I am looking for is 2-3 white led for each of the head lights and 2-3 red leds for each of the tail lights.
    I am going to be using them with 2s and 3 s lipo batteries.
    thanks

RC Competitor
    I forgot to ask ..... Can these be set up for 1/16 e revo vxl ???

RC Champion
    Hobbypartz.com and yes if your vxl runs on 3s.

RC Enthusiast
    What is the best and safest way to put your LED on your e revo? Some mount them on the revo itself with the wires into a different channel. And some like you did stick them to the hood and use battery's or (like you) the lipo to power them directly

RC Champion
    Safest:Tape a led flashlight to the body.

Best: 12v led strips and a 25v to 12v bec.