RC Champion

Finally working on my on-road conversion.

I posted a thread few weeks about about on-roading my 2wd. Got some good feedback so I ordered some parts.

Been swamped with work but got it somewhat thrown togeather tonight.

Started with my fully hopped up (traxxas aluminum, RPM plastic) slash 2wd. Removed the bumpers and VXL, added CC's new SCT 3800kv system and STRC LCG conversion (w/rustler chassis). Also added the SRTC transmission heatsink Double as a motor mount and should seals off those motor vent holes in the transmission case (sand runs).

Truck weight in just under 5 lbs with full running gear. SMC 6k 2s Hardcase lipo, bajr body and stock 2wd BFG tires. Geared 24/83 it ran cool and noticable improvement over the VXL. Alot more bottom end torque from the 4 pole motor.

I have to get my new tires glued (30 series road rages) and re-tweak the suspension a bit. I do think the new LCG chassis can handle the added grip w/o traction roll. When I get some time I will get some pictures posted.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Qualifier
    sweet, can't wait to see it.
    \BACKSLASH
    \BACKBAJR
    2WD Slash

RC Competitor
    i love runnig my slash onroad thats all i have ever done i was thinking about trying 4s on my mm pro and my tacon 2950kv will you try 3s on this setup
    Last edited by momogt; 12-15-2010 at 07:11 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Looking good, well done!

RC Champion
    Here are some pictures. The tires are just a mock up. I havent' decided to use "electric rears" or the more offset "electric fronts". Bought both.

On an additional note the STRC blue near matches the Traxxas anodizing.

Body in last picture is beat up a bit from on-road running with a stock chassis. As much as a tried I could not get it to roll with stock BGF tires.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Champion
    Looking good, I love the tires and rims great choice. However if I may make a suggestion, the Bajr body is missing something, maybe a wing would complete the look. Check this thread on Urc out

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=116044
    Edit: also you really really need to dye the chassis, bulkhead and transmission black
    www.thunder-roadhobbies.com
    Moline, IL

RC Qualifier
    Sick ride!
    That body is also set off nice by lowering it a bit.
    \BACKSLASH
    \BACKBAJR
    2WD Slash

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Federally View Post
    Looking good, I love the tires and rims great choice. However if I may make a suggestion, the Bajr body is missing something, maybe a wing would complete the look. Check this thread on Urc out

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=116044
    Edit: also you really really need to dye the chassis, bulkhead and transmission black
    I am not a wing fan. I am pretty good at suspension setup and can get grip where I want it.

I did think that dying it all black would make it look better. all those parts were available in black plastic, but I am not familiar with the e-rustler and ordered the parts STRC said. Dying black sounds like a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiojh View Post
    Sick ride!
    That body is also set off nice by lowering it a bit.
    It is as low as it will go with the RPM body posts. Much lower and I think the tires will rub in a hard lean.

Offset rims or not? With the added grip of the road rage tires I am little worried about tracking roll, Every post I seen said to use the electric fronts (wide offset) with the road rages but with my LCG chassis might not need them. All I can think of is the Jato and it has a low CG and big footprint to make it stable. I just like the looks of the electric fronts better, well with the blue wheel nuts.

What do you guys think electric rears or front for the pro-line 30 series rims?
    Last edited by OCD RC; 12-15-2010 at 09:56 PM.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Racer
    I think he means a wing, not for down force, but for looks.
    I would agree that a wing on that bajr would make it look a few notches better.

if you like it, then more power to you
    I accidentally my whole truck.

RC Champion
    Yeah I was suggesting the wing for looks, I'm not entirely certain how much a wing on an RC actually works. If you followed the link I left you would see how sexy that body looks with a wing behind it.

You can lower the body further by doing the backslash mod and using the Bajr body instead of the buggy body, it's been named the backbajr and I'm in the process of doing one myself.

The only hard part about dyeing the parts is taking the vehicle apart and it really really improves the look especially with a body that shows so much chassis.
    Moline, IL

RC Champion
    Backslash body mounts would definitely help the look of the body. And I think you should go with the front offset rims great looking truck.
    Wide Rustler | "Bulldog" Backslash 4x4

RC Competitor
    what kind of top end speed do the sct setup have
    Last edited by momogt; 12-16-2010 at 12:31 AM.

RC Champion
    the motor is a little hogher kv then the vxl (3800 compare to 3600) so it turns a little faster plus it's a more capable motor that runs cooler and can be geared higher. Geared the same as a Vxl it's a couple mph faster.
    Moline, IL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Federally View Post
    Yeah I was suggesting the wing for looks, I'm not entirely certain how much a wing on an RC actually works. If you followed the link I left you would see how sexy that body looks with a wing behind it.

You can lower the body further by doing the backslash mod and using the Bajr body instead of the buggy body, it's been named the backbajr and I'm in the process of doing one myself.

The only hard part about dyeing the parts is taking the vehicle apart and it really really improves the look especially with a body that shows so much chassis.
    i think youd be surprised at just how much a wing does on a rc car. if he wants to make speed runs he shouldnt have a wing. the car will want to flip over backwards at anything over 40 with a wing. we are dealing with high enough speeds to make downforce.

and id go with front offset rims
    Slash 4x4 MMP-HV 5.5
    Slash Sidewinder SC 3800kv

RC Champion
    Well thanks for the info there. I wonder if anyone has done any mini wind tunnel test.

Front offset for sure.
    Moline, IL

RC Champion
    Thanks for the info. "electric" fronts" it is.

With the bajr / wing thing I don't think I am going with the wing. And Yes a full buggy wing will add downforce but those tires will add plenty of grip. I will probably go back to my pro-line baja bug and RPM bumpers and lights again though. Extra protection and lights for night running. It sreally hard to see a black truck at night.

As it is a basher I prefer it on the loose (but stable) end. With the stronger brakes of the SCT over the VXL I can, at speed, do a 360, regain, and keep going in the same direction. This is with stock tires. In my efforts to do this I did curb and crack a stock rim. Tires were about gone anyway. I have a set of VXL 2wd pede talons to use for the "drifting'.
    Last edited by OCD RC; 12-16-2010 at 08:25 PM.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Enthusiast
    That is one sweet ride. Where did you get your anodized parts for your Slash? Thanks
    One run at a time. Then pick up the pieces.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by geodehunter View Post
    That is one sweet ride. Where did you get your anodized parts for your Slash? Thanks
    There are two SRTC parts, links are in the opening post (LCG chassis conversion). All the other anodized parts are genuine Traxxas upgrades.

Blue Aluminum
    Traxxas
    3743A bellcranks
    3632A front castor blocks
    3636A front steering blocks
    3652A rear carriers
    3139A steering links
    3737a camber links (x4)
    blue wheel nuts (not pictured)

STRC
    ST3691B motor heatsink plate (unseen)
    ST5822B LCG chassis

Everything else

RPM (Black)
    F/R a-arms
    F/R shock towers
    F/Rbody posts
    rear bumper mount
    F/R bumpers with front lightbar (summit LEDS)

Traxxas big bore
    Lunsford Ti hinge pins
    casle creations 3800kv SCT system
    Proline 30 series tires and torque rims
    Rear diff partly filled with 500k fluid, Transmission greased with gorilla snawt

I have (not installed) slash 4x4 bellcrank and HD rear driveshafts (stock parts on the slash 2WD brushless)
    Last edited by OCD RC; 12-16-2010 at 10:19 PM.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Champion
    Did some parking lot running today. Pushing it pretty hard. 28/83 gearing. It has room to geat taller but its already eating into run times. Temps were great. 50's ambient. ESC was cool, motor was 120s. Rear tires however were warm. Great for warming up your hands in the cool weather.
    Tweaking: Great thing about the level tread of the road rages, they are on-road tires. Like touring car tires you can adjust your suspension to tire wear. -1 neg camber toe all the way around. I usually run toe out on the front but going to 0 front toe to aid in stability. Loosened the slipper to reduce wheel spin / alert me with slipper chirp to back off at slower speeds. Still driving it like it has a VXL in it, speed gearing kills the low end torque (wheel spin.)

The 1410 4 pole motor has phenominal low- mid torque for a 540 size can. It will probably will be going into my Slash 4x4 MT build. I will get that one posted up after I am actually allowed to have it (Christmas.)

I think the 2wd will get the VXL back. either that or stock up on 30 series road rages
    Last edited by OCD RC; 12-20-2010 at 10:53 PM.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Champion
    @OCD RC
    Very nice setup, I've been wanting to do this since I own the Slash..maybe I should get another one for street running too LOL. You would further lower the CG if you use 2.2 wheels paired with Proline's Roadrage or similar sized onroads. And maybe run a super tall gearing like 31/76 to compensate for the smaller diameter wheels. Nice build, I really enjoy this thread..because it's another 'route' instead of the common backslash mod (which is also good too).
    Myth busted: Blitz is not faster on the track.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Out of Sight View Post
    @OCD RC
    Very nice setup, I've been wanting to do this since I own the Slash..maybe I should get another one for street running too LOL. You would further lower the CG if you use 2.2 wheels paired with Proline's Roadrage or similar sized onroads. And maybe run a super tall gearing like 31/76 to compensate for the smaller diameter wheels. Nice build, I really enjoy this thread..because it's another 'route' instead of the common backslash mod (which is also good too).
    The 30 series road rages are more or less the same height as the 2.2 ones are. Little over 4". With the LCG chassis there is no real need to slam the body down. When I was tuning the suspension I raised it a bit to allow more roll to help with traction. I am going to try going back to 2wd springs (currently 4x4 springs). From there I think I am going to add back the bumpers and bug body for more weight.

I ran it last night with 100% punch control and was still spinning out.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by OCD RC View Post

Beautiful wheels!! What are they?
    SLASH STRC LCG BANDIT RUSTLER STRC ESKY BIG LAMA

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dongskie View Post
    Beautiful wheels!! What are they?
    Pictured are the Pro-line torque electric rears.. I decided to glue up the wider offset pro-line torque electric fronts.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Competitor
    Thanks OCD RC!

I have the same set of tires, but I bought the traxxas 2.8" wheels, will the tires fit into the traxxas 2.8" I think I should have gotten the prolines...

Btw if i buy that LCG Conversion and install it in my Rustler, will I then be able to use SC bodies? and no problems with the wheelbase?

thanks again

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dongskie View Post
    Thanks OCD RC!

I have the same set of tires, but I bought the traxxas 2.8" wheels, will the tires fit into the traxxas 2.8" I think I should have gotten the prolines...

Btw if i buy that LCG Conversion and install it in my Rustler, will I then be able to use SC bodies? and no problems with the wheelbase?

thanks again
    I made the mistake of the traxxas 2.8 wheels. They will not fit the pro-line 30 series tires. Sitting in a box.

The STRC kit turns a rustler into a slash 2wd. You will just need the kit, Slash 2wd body post, rear a-arms and rear turnbuckles and any slash body should fit. slash bumpers will help as well. The STRC kit does make the slash wheelbase 10mm shorter but the body holes will line up fine. There is some flex in the towers.
    Last edited by OCD RC; 12-21-2010 at 10:30 PM.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Champion
    Taming the 4 horseman of the 4-pole 1410 motor.

1) Started with some weight. Added back the RPM front and rear bumpers. Regeared to 28/78. I think the weight helped more than the gearing as it will still easily spin with WOT. Still more stable and was able to dial out the punch control. What is the point of the system if you cannot use the power.

launch + handling improved

2) FYI: CC bec puts out 5v. My Summit LED lights were really dim running off the receiver. I (temporarily) mounted a 4 cell holder to the upper chassis plate. The added weight game some steering. I couldn't find a BEC voltage setting in the castle link. a call to castle tommorow to see if it can be brought up to 6v.

steering improved and I can see at night

3) More suspension changes. Rear camber is now +0.5. This allows a 0 deg camber when the rear sqauts under load. I had a tire wearing bad in one spot and also a rattle noise at high speeds. 1/2 throttle it while holding it, it was shaking bad. I balanced and rotated the tires. Should aid in bearing and tire life.

launch further improved, rattle gone (all you can hear is the motor and gears), and truck is more stable/predictable at speed.
    Last edited by OCD RC; 12-21-2010 at 11:37 PM.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Competitor
    I made the mistake of the traxxas 2.8 wheels. They will not fit the pro-line 30 series tires. Sitting in a box.
    dad gum!! lol...

thanks mate

RC Qualifier
    the truck looks great! I cant wait to get my STRC LCG conversion for my rustler!
    SlashVXL-ERBE-Slash4x4PE-RustlerVXL-1/16SlashSW2

RC Competitor
    ....rear a-arms and rear turnbuckles and any slash body should fit.
    this is my current Rustler...