RC Champion

Stock battery run time

Hi im thinking about adding a summit to my traxxas lineup. but i want to know what sort of run times i will get from the stock 8.4v packs. i wont be doing much crawling to start with.
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

RC Enthusiast
    my stock summit had about 20 minutes of HARD bashing time, and ~45 minutes of combined bashing and crawling like on my last movie:

This all with PROPERLY loaded eBay NiMH 8.4v (7 cells) 4600mAh. The stock batteries (3000mAh) last for about 15 minutes hard bash / 30 minutes bash/crawl.

Properly loading for me means: load both on 2A, then load both on 1A (taking the cooled down 1st battery), then load both on 0.5A the day before you want to do a run. This all on a decent charger (iMax B6 in my case)

RC Racer
    In some ways, incomplete question.

Mine lasted maybe 15-30 minutes depending on high/low gear diff lock, what it was doing.

I have ProMatch Ener-G batteries now, NiMh 4600 (ProMatch guy doesn't recommend 5000) and he has two types now "P" for performance or the newer "D" for durable which I bought. The D version can hold a charge sitting on a shelf longer, not supposed to need as much in the way of maintainance charging, etc.

The other real question is how much more punch do you get with the ProMatch (or other 4200- 5000 NiMh batteries)? The Summit runs much more faster and punchy, maybe more torque with my ProMatch. I actually felt better lowering the Pinion gear from stock 14 tooth to 12T. With the 12T gear on (which gives more runtime too, lowering the Pinion) I get 45-60 minutes on the ProMatch batteries, combo of low/high. I've put it through about 14 runs now, that's my runtime averages. When I put my old batteries back in the difference in "punch" is really obvious.

In addition to the 12T Pinion this also assumes the stock Titan 775 motor. I think the motor gets a bit hotter with the ProMatch.

The ProMatch batteries are heavier than stock as well. One Traxxas 3000 weighs 13.4 OZ; one of my ProMatch 4600 weighs 18.8 OZ. 10.8 OZ more for the set.

It took me a long time to upgrade the batteries; I think staying with stock for awhile is a good route to go, in spite of all I've said above about the ProMatch. I drove it awhile, got the feel of the Summit, etc. You might just decide to go Lipos instead for example.
    Last edited by H2Ohaze; 12-15-2010 at 11:07 AM.

RC Competitor
    the run time depends on how you drive if you drive stop and go style your run time is going to be less if you go slow it will be longer and if you go fast you'll still get a good run time
    Rcfreak

RC poster
    From Alaska, recently moved to Midland, Texas
    What do you all think about John The Battery Guys batteries for the Summit? His summary off ebay:

A Pair of High power 8.4V 5000mAh Nickel Metal Hydride SUMMIT & E-REVO JOHN THE BATTERY GUY DESIGNED 16.8V Battery Packs.
    Made with Select ' Sc 5000mAh high capacity and high power matched & equalized NiMH cells. TRX PLUGS
    HEAVY DUTY SHRINKWRAP!
    14 GAUGE NOVAK-PRO BATTERY WIRES
    THESE BATTERIES ARE SHIPPED OUT CHARGED & EQUALIZED!
    W/ Advanced NiMH battery technology, no battery memory effect. Easy operation, battery can be charged anytime without the need to fully discharge.

Specially Built for THE SUMMIT & E-REVO !

5000mAH~38MPH++

Technical Specifications

Voltage: 8.4V FLAT PACK
    5000mAH
    Maximum Discharge Rate: 40A+

Connector Type:TRX
    5000mAH~38++MPH!

Let me know your thoughts. Was thinking about getting a set. They are expensive though.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think he's full of hot air; you wont get 38mph from a summit on nimhs, nor from an erevo or BL erevo on nimhs either- more like about 20mph & 30mph respectively.
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyofDarkness View Post
    I think he's full of hot air; you wont get 38mph from a summit on nimhs, nor from an erevo or BL erevo on nimhs either- more like about 20mph & 30mph respectively.
    While I agree with the first part of your post, I seriously have considered matching a batch of GREAT Nimh cells just to show people how good Nimh can be. Now before the replies come back saying how behind the times I am, let it be known I am not saying Nimh is better than LiPo for our use. LiPo is superior, however matched Nimh packs can be very good and I’ll bet they would easily power a brushless Revo to well over 30 mph. I recorded 24.0 mph with a completely stock Summit using two, 7-cell, matched, Nimh packs.
    Again, LiPo is better, no question, however good, matched, Nimh packs are very capable.
    Last edited by Jakey; 12-18-2010 at 08:21 PM.

RC Champion
    i know i have taken my time but i now have a brushed summit on way. so i will finally see what all the fuss is about.
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus