RC poster

1/10 Slash 4x4 VXL vs. 1/16 Revo 4x4 VXL

I'm trying to get back into R/C with a good basher for my grassy yard, snow, dirt, etc. And sticking to a total budget of around $300 including a 2.4ghz setup. I've got a smart charger already but that's about it.

I've found both of these fit the bill, and see some slightly used offers on Ebay and R/C classifieds. Would the 1/10 slash 4x4 tackle bigger obstacles than the 1/16 revo? Would one or the other get longer runtimes, or be faster on a lipo battery (I'm hoping to get batteries for about $30-40 if possible). Does one or the other have less weaknesses in design and durabilty?

Thanks,
    Mark

The 1/10th scale Slash 4x4 is going to be capable of covering rougher terrain than the Mini Revo but it is going to cost you considerably more. You will likely want a few upgrades and the batteries are much more expensive than the mini Revo batteries. The size of the mini Revo might hold it back in some terrain but it is IMO more durable and needs/wants less upgrade parts. Both trucks are going to put a smile on your face.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    I would go with the 1/16 e-revo becuase everything is cheaper for it and it hardly ever breaks, so if you want to spend a lot more time driving then fixing go with the 1/16 revo and if you want it to do better off road get the 1/16 summit pushrods and tires or get a 1/16 summit
    anything can be fixed with duct tape and zip ties

RC Qualifier
    victoria BC bashing with my bud 1slash and racing with COR victoria
    both are going to be great trucks. my friend has a slash 4x4 and i have a mini revo and the slash can take a bit harder of beatings cause of its bumpers but the mini revo is one tough truck as well. ether truck you buy you will have great fun with.
    1/16 revo
    slash 4x4
    some more but they wont fit

RC poster
    Think I'll go with the Mini revo then. Too bad, looks like I missed a good one on ebay this morning.

RC Qualifier
    if it was between a mini slash and a mini revo... I would steer you towards the revo-- since there seems to be more parts and forum help....

....I admit I'm a 1/10 slash apologist --- have you thought about the 2wd slash?

Seems to be more out there in the used lot, and its easier to get parts. It also takes more abuse. Though not brushless-- I picked up a new one with 2.4 ghz for $259 for my dad this weekend....and I'm always picking up rollers for $100 to $125
    Last edited by pakratt; 11-28-2010 at 01:11 PM.
    Boise, Idaho
    www.adventureiq.com

RC Champion
    the revo is fun but the slash is better to drive.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by pakratt View Post
    if it was between a mini slash and a mini revo... I would steer you towards the revo-- since there seems to be more parts and forum help....
    they're the same truck. the mervs just wider and slightly taller because of the tires

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by erikcrvjl1 View Post
    they're the same truck. the mervs just wider and slightly taller because of the tires
    the arms are larger, the shafts, the pushrods, the tierods are larger too.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by erikcrvjl1 View Post
    just seems when a mini slash question gets posted there is a resounding answer of crickets.... also many parts are listed as the revo-- so its hard to tell what works and doesn't when you try to cross the two.
    Boise, Idaho
    www.adventureiq.com

RC Champion
    Got a merv, just ordered a slash 1:10 4x4 ultimate! Can't wait - for
    Me mini ervo - fun 1:10 slash - we'll see ;0)
    Time I enjoy wasting is not time wasted

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    the arms are larger, the shafts, the pushrods, the tierods are larger too.
    I know, that's why I put wider. I meant it's taller mainly because of the larger tire size raises clearance by a little.

@ pakratt yeah I see what you mean about that from personal experience. And for parts I just go on The Toyz to find my mini slash parts because other places don't always specify what truck its for.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BrabusBen View Post
    Got a merv, just ordered a slash 1:10 4x4 ultimate! Can't wait - for
    Me mini ervo - fun 1:10 slash - we'll see ;0)
    Congrats! Enjoy!
    Boise, Idaho
    www.adventureiq.com

RC Racer
    Bit of an old thread but wanted to get some more info. I'm looking to get back into rc and am considering the slash 4x4 and 1/16 erevo.

Definitely want 2.4g radio, brushless and waterproof; traxxas stuff seems pretty good these days.

The slash 4x4 is just under $100 more than the merv.

How do you like the truck so far? How do run times compare?

RC Champion
    Sorry mate, which slash 4x4 are you talking about? If it's the 1:10 the run times on stock batteries are slightly longer on the 1:10 slash (20mins) than the 1:16 merv (15mins) but my Merv stock battery is nearly a year old and must have had at least 100 cycles and my merv is quiet modified to make it stronger - so it's much heavier than stock (not far off the slashes weight lol). Haven't compared Slash 4x4 on 2s lipo yet (been too busy and it's too wet) but nearly always run 2s on merv and on 2x2s Boost Batteries in parallel I get a run time of around 40 mins hard bashing, then I drop in 2x stock batteries in parallel for another 25-30mins. The slash can carry only 1 battery at a time.

At the moment I prefer the slash 4x4 1:10 but it's new, give it 6 months, when I've broken it a few times, and I might have changed my mind. It is, however, much easier to work on and much easier to keep on 4 wheels IMHO

of course if you were talking about the slash 1/16 4x4 run times will be similar to the merv as they are essentially the same truck ;0)

The Time I Enjoy Wasting Is Not Time Wasted
    Time I enjoy wasting is not time wasted

RC Racer
    Thanks. I was referring to the 1/10 slash 4x4.
    It's a tough choice for me to make, if I could afford both things would be easier.
    The merv is cheaper and smaller which would make it easier to throw in the car and take along when going places. I'd like to run whichever I buy as is out of the box.

Some people list 'must have' upgrades but I'd prefer to upgrade as needed(except for getting lipos).

RC Qualifier
    Run both trucks, like them both looks like you know plus minus of each for the most part. Sometimes size does matter in the big stuff but the 1/16 does handle the rough stuff well. Have not done timed runs but the 1/16 times are longer batteries are less expensive.

[IMG][/IMG]

RC Racer
    Thanks Ray. Is that 'Monster' truck next to the merv a slash? Don't think I've seen a merv next to a 1/10 slash, quite a size difference.
    How is the merv in the rough stuff compared to the 1/10? Longer run times are a big plus, lipos are dirt cheap for the merv and people report runtimes up to 45 mins with a pair of lipos in parallel. Merv parts are cheap, looks pretty easy to toss on a set of mini summit wheels; what's it like to change the gear ratio for the bigger tires?

RC Racer
    The 1/16 slash looks even smaller, maybe just the pic.

RC Qualifier
    Is that 'Monster' truck next to the merv a slash?
    Front is Slayer than Slash and Slash. Slayer and Slash are same size and body. The Slash is a huge 1/10 scale compared to lets say a 1/10 Rustler. It will make a 1/16 look small by comparison. Like early posts others have said pound for pound dollar for dolar the 1/16 Revo is one tough truck, take my little guy off road all the time, its also real quick and fast

[IMG][/IMG]

The 1/16 slash looks even smaller, maybe just the pic.
    Just the picture here's the 1/16 Revo/Rally/Slash size comparison

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by radicalray; 12-28-2010 at 11:39 PM.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the pics

RC Racer
    i've owned a slash 4x4 but i sold it because it cost to much to make it run. i'd go with the e-revo 1/16 because is more simple to work on, cheaper parts/batteries/tires and staff like that.
    +1 e-revo 1/16
    MERV

RC Qualifier
    How about getting a 1/10 e-revo brushless? I have a 1/16 e-revo and I want either a rustler vxl or the 1/10 e-revo next!
    HPI Vorza | Traxxas Summit | 1/16 Traxxas E-Revo

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ngnaw View Post
    How about getting a 1/10 e-revo brushless? I have a 1/16 e-revo and I want either a rustler vxl or the 1/10 e-revo next!
    I think I have more fun with my 1/16 Revo than my Erevo. In order to have comparable speed and punch, you will need a Mamba Monster in the 1/10 Erevo and some serious cash for full size lipo’s that don’t have a lot of run time.
    1/16Revo,1/16Slash,1/10Erevo,1/10Slash Spektrum+KO

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by linboogy View Post
    I think I have more fun with my 1/16 Revo than my Erevo. In order to have comparable speed and punch, you will need a Mamba Monster in the 1/10 Erevo and some serious cash for full size lipo’s that don’t have a lot of run time.
    So would you recommend the Rustler then for a 1/10 scale over the E-revo? Since I have the 1/16th? I thought the e-revo comes with a mamba monster? Model 5608 i believe...

RC Racer
    So would you recommend the Rustler then for a 1/10 scale over the E-revo? Since I have the 1/16th? I thought the e-revo comes with a mamba monster? Model 5608 i believe...
    I would recommend getting what you like. I don’t own a rustler but I don’t think it is at all comparable to a full eRevo. My eRevo was brushed because I could not afford brushless at the time. Did you check the price of a full eRevo with a monster motor?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by linboogy View Post
    I would recommend getting what you like. I don’t own a rustler but I don’t think it is at all comparable to a full eRevo. My eRevo was brushed because I could not afford brushless at the time. Did you check the price of a full eRevo with a monster motor?
    Yes it's pretty expensive but I mean I probably ended up spending that amount with my upgrades for the MERV... I don't know i'm having a lot of fun with my MERV and the portability of it is awesome... I can fit it in my gym bag lol! We'll see prices will obviously fall on them... I just think the stock package of the 1/10 e-revo is better than the stock package of the MERV. 1/10 e-revo has better servos, arms, shocks and motor and esc combo is great... All I would need is bigger lipos

RC Racer
    Yes it's pretty expensive but I mean I probably ended up spending that amount with my upgrades for the MERV... I don't know i'm having a lot of fun with my MERV and the portability of it is awesome... I can fit it in my gym bag lol! We'll see prices will obviously fall on them... I just think the stock package of the 1/10 e-revo is better than the stock package of the MERV. 1/10 e-revo has better servos, arms, shocks and motor and esc combo is great... All I would need is bigger lipos
    This isn’t the place to discuss the 1/10 but I have a big paragraph of problems with it and a lot of them are the same problems as the merv just more expensive.

RC Enthusiast
    I have both the 1/10 slash 4x4 and the MERV (and a 2x4 stampede). You of course get a biased answer by posting in the MERV forum, but I definitely prefer the MERV. I liked it so much I bought one for my 5 y/o son and we have incredible fun driving them together. Here are my thoughts on the MERV versus 1/10 slash 4x4:

MERV is more durable (I am running the T-bone chasis brace and bumpers - $35 upgrade that is very much worth it)

MERV is a lot cheaper to run - the truck itself, batteries, parts

I find the Slash easier to work on since it has a more simple design and you don't have to take as many parts off to get to other parts like you do on the MERV

MERV is just more fun to drive for me - handles very well, easy for my son to carry, takes up less space in my closet. The caveat is that we drive mostly on concrete, short grass, and relatively smooth dirt. The slash has a higher clearance than the MERV but the MERV still does great on relatively choppy ground.

I ended up converting my slash into a monster truck and I liked that even more than the stock slash, but it still is not as much fun as my MERV. I am probably going to sell it and the stampede and buy another MERV since my daughters are always begging me to drive my MERV.

Truly you'll be happier with either. My recommendation: If you ever plan to race, get the Slash. If you are just going to bash around the neighborhood, I would recommend the MERV.

RC Enthusiast
    If you do buy a MERV, you can get one for $240 shipped free from Tower Hobbies if you sign up for their super saver (costs $10, so total of $250). You can get the T-Bone bumper from TheToyz.com or also from the manufacturer http://t-bone-racing.net/ . I buy from the manufacturer so they can get full retail from me rather than just wholesale).

RC Racer
    I tried looking at tower's website but couldn't see where they listed the merv for $240. Do you have to join the super saver club to see more deals? Do you have a link to the merv for that price?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbone77 View Post
    I tried looking at tower's website but couldn't see where they listed the merv for $240. Do you have to join the super saver club to see more deals? Do you have a link to the merv for that price?
    yes you need to have super saver
    Hows that nitro taste on your electric?

RC Enthusiast
    To get the $240 deal do this:

Go to tower and sign up to be a member of the super saver club ($10):

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXEX3&P=ML

Checkout and complete your membership.

Do a new order and add the MERV to your cart for $294.96

Then add something else to your cart to get you to $300.00.

Then add the coupon code to get $60 off $300: 010BG

That code is good through Dec 31. I haven't received my new codes for January yet (they usually send them regularly).

Shipping is free.

If you don't have anything specific in mind that is $5.04 to get you to the $300, I would recommend the RPM front A-arms (they are $13 so it will throw you a little high, but they are great) http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYWY8&P=7

Best of luck to you. I have bought all my trucks from Tower and they end up being good deals with the super saver. I buy most of my parts from TheToyz, A Main Hobbies, and random vendors off ebay. If you are looking for some great batteries, get these for $16 a piece: http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?productID=107 ; I wouldn't recommend the large wire upgrade they peddle, you'll have to cut your chassis to fit.

RC Racer
    Thanks. I don't think I'll be making a purchase before the 31st, do they often offer those kind of discounts?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbone77 View Post
    Thanks. I don't think I'll be making a purchase before the 31st, do they often offer those kind of discounts?
    Yes, that is a standard discount. You can just sign up for the $10 Super Saver now and you'll get emails throughout the year with that same discount.

RC Racer
    Cool, I'll have to sign up for that this weekend and see what the deals are.
    Thanks

RC Competitor
    Does anyone know what towers current savings is on a new Merv?

RC Qualifier
    $294.96 -$40 =$254.96 no tax or shipping, unless you live in a state where they have a wharehouse you will be taxed Illinois or Nevada
    Last edited by radicalray; 01-03-2011 at 01:21 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    I have the slash 4x4 ultimate and the 1/16 erevo, "the merv?"
    If you like to play in your yard and jump around, the Slash's bumpers always hit. It's pretty new but my son and I do not love it. I'm sure it would be killer on a track though. Our stock battery lasts about 10 minutes. It feels fragile to me and I always cringe when my son takes a big jump.
    We both have the little revos with 2 series 1 batteries. Sometimes we use our parallel connectors and sometimes the series. I installed the extra pinion and with either connector we can pull wheelie at any speed. They are insanely fast and powerful and by far the toughest car I've owned. We've had them over a year and I've spent less than $50 total in parts for both and we beat the heck out of them. Although I've spent a small fortune on body clips. The only con with it is you spend a lot of time chasing it after it flips. ..the best part is you don't need any upgrades for it. Get the extra battery, $25 or so, one or both connectors, install the extra pinion gear, and buy as many clips as your lhs has in stock. You'll grin from ear to ear!

Crap this is long. Hope you haven't made a purchase yet.

Btw- my neighbor is a policeman. He clocked my revo at 54 after running for at least 15 minutes. You'll also need a wheelie bar unless it's included now.

To throw a little fuel on the fire- we got to drive the new 4x4 Stampedes this weekend. They are a blast!!! ...The Slash was a Christmas gift I gave my son. I'm going to try to trade it with the lhs for a Stampede. Anyone ever been able to do this? Any advice?
    Last edited by Stevens4x; 01-03-2011 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Little extra info