RC Competitor

How do you break in a brushed motor in water

Ive heard the best way to break in a brushed motor is in water but the only explination of it I have got was from the lhs employee. He said to take 1 d battery hook it to the motor and let it run till it dies. Is this right or anyone got any other ideals

RC Champion
    As for traxxas motors, I have used it in the truck in training mode for a full battery pack.
    rustler vxl 2.4

RC Competitor
    its a reedy flash and a hpi firebolt

RC Qualifier
    You will get a thousand responses....this is better than this.....blah blah blah... lol This is how I break in my motors- I Hook the motor up to my Team Checkpoint charger that has a battery breakin feature. I put 4.5 volts to the motor and let it run for about 10-15 minutes. If you don't have a motor breaker-iner then use 2 C batteries taped together. The brushes on the Titan are M shaped and it takes a little while to file them down to seat against the Commutator correctly. Instead of water, I use Windex. Yes I said Windex. Some people say that it has no effect, some swear by it. Our track only allows Stock Titan Motors instead of Brushless. So I have tried break-ins all kinda ways. ON THE OTHER HAND..... your gonna love this. I have been in a hurry for a race before. Ran in the hobby shop, slammed the motor in my truck, and it be faster than the ones I've broke in. These motors are really a hit or miss. I would recommend breaking them in, but it's not the end of the world if you don't. If you have any questions feel free to send me a pm and I'll be happy to answer it.

Tommy

EDIT- Bigdodge150- You posted while i was typing my reply..... for anything non traxxas related you will need to go to another forum or call that specific company. The mods on this forum doesn't allow tech support for anything other than traxxas. (just trying to give you a heads up)
    Last edited by Tommyplumbr; 11-06-2010 at 09:46 PM.
    Youtube Search- Tommy Wooten RC

RC Champion
    I don't think the water method would hurt it!!
    rustler vxl 2.4

RC Qualifier
    if your going to use water, dont use tap water. too many impuritys.

get a bottle of demineralised water from your local woolworths

best of the best is pure alcohol. if u know someone who makes who brew booze, get some from them
    erevo, ubuntu.com

RC Competitor
    thanks for the help i know traxxas them selves wont have anything to offer but i know there has to be alot of people with alot of knowledge on here. I know the water wont hurt it but was wondering if there where any facts to back up if this was a better way than the dry break in. I know that the low end motors are hit and miss but i thought the flash was a little higher on the pole. My buddy bought a rustler the same day I did my slash same place. I broke mine in he didnt. I get 6 more minutes a pack than him and I will smoke him all the way around the track. My other buddy got the rustler too he broke his in and he will pull on me comin out of the corners and has close to the same run time. So that alone Im going to break the motor in but the method to do so is what Im wondering

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by stinger30
    if your going to use water, dont use tap water. too many impuritys.

get a bottle of demineralised water from your local woolworths

best of the best is pure alcohol. if u know someone who makes who brew booze, get some from them

really cause I keep a case or two layin around but you know that stuff is pretty flammable and those motors do some sparkin

RC Competitor
    well the firebolt is sittin in a cup of purified water with 1 d taped to it there seems to be alot of stuff floatin around in the water already. As for the flash Im gonna wait for some more input. I dont care to much about a 15$ motor but the 40$ I think it would be best to do all the research I can

RC Competitor
    this water is nasty if I can figure out how to put some pics on this site I will. Of course there will be a side by side comparison and if anyone can tell me how to post them that would be sweet

RC Qualifier
    I like to use a slave break in method when I break in a higher end motor.
    Orange Powered
    Novak BL

RC Champion
    Yeah getting one of the devices that holds two motors and lets you hook the output shaft of a broken in motor to the motor you want to break in is the best way, that way your running a broken in motor and just turning the motor you want broken in.

The water method works as well as most other methods and is a great way to clean out the motor. Especially one like the titan with the fan, it really pumps water through itself. I had a titan shoot water out the top of a cup high enough to hit the ceiling on full throttle which made ma laugh.
    www.thunder-roadhobbies.com
    Moline, IL

RC Competitor
    tried the firebolt out and seems to run pretty good cant tell any difference from the titan. On further inspection of the titan it had alot of end play and side to side ( compared to the firebolt ) and it has only had about 15-20 packs run through it on all stock slash. Is this normal or is that titan almost toasted. Still runs fine though

RC Qualifier
    man i know i`ll get some heat for this but i never break in a motor espeacially the titan .i`ve broke them in before but they all seem to have the same fate . i do take care of them as much as i can , but the 5 days a week of running in the dust eventually kills them off .

Personally I just flip the car upside down and turn the throttle trim up. When the battery is dead I install a fresh one and let her rip!

RC Enthusiast
    I am new to this and all, but it seems REALLY messed up to submerge an electric motor, running none the less, in water, but ok!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by lowroad
    I am new to this and all, but it seems REALLY messed up to submerge an electric motor, running none the less, in water, but ok!
    Since an electric motor is just a magnet and an electro magnet it's not a problem. It sounds weird to put anything electric in water but there is no issue as long as your using water that won't leave any mineral deposits or other impurities after your done.
    Moline, IL

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Federally
    Since an electric motor is just a magnet and an electro magnet it's not a problem. It sounds weird to put anything electric in water but there is no issue as long as your using water that won't leave any mineral deposits or other impurities after your done.
    Yeah, I don't disagree with the method it just sounds messed up. Metal cannister, metal leads, stuff like that. Just screams "rust issue" to me, but, you know, like I said, I'ma total newbie, so what do I know?

RC Champion
    the rust issue is why the guy earlier suggested using the bottled water with no minerals in it. Then a little WD40 and you're good. Motors like the Titan have a fan so when it's underwater that fan acts like a pump pushing water through the motor. It's a very effective way to lean it
    Moline, IL

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Federally
    the rust issue is why the guy earlier suggested using the bottled water with no minerals in it. Then a little WD40 and you're good. Motors like the Titan have a fan so when it's underwater that fan acts like a pump pushing water through the motor. It's a very effective way to lean it
    I think I like the idea of alcohol better. Maybe even windex like the other fella said. No, I will not be breaking in my motor in a glass of jim beam.

RC Competitor
    He doesn't mean Jim bean he means grain corn whiskey white lightning 100% alcohol by volume. The Jim will definately leave some funky residue